Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #5,731 of 8,792
May i know which cable are included in HD800S ? I saw official Sennheiser website some mentioned 6.3mm and 4 XLR balanced, some mentioned 6.3mm and 4.4 balanced

Confuse now.

Plan to get one but my DAP have 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4 balanced only
They come with an unbalanced 1/4 inch and a balanced pentaconn 4.4mm. The Sennheiser site in some countries states that the 4-pin XLR is an optional accessory (i.e. you have to buy it separately). This is the case in Australia anyway.

I was having the same issue when I looked at buying a pair too, contacted the store manager here and that's what I was told^^

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #5,732 of 8,792
My recent purchase came with 1/4 and 4.4mm.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #5,733 of 8,792
May i know which cable are included in HD800S ? I saw official Sennheiser website some mentioned 6.3mm and 4 XLR balanced, some mentioned 6.3mm and 4.4 balanced

Confuse now.

Plan to get one but my DAP have 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4 balanced only

6.3mm and 4.4mm pentaconn. XLR-4 is available separately.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #5,735 of 8,792
I was wondering - for those who have heard a Susvara and a 800S--- which is cleaner sounding?

I find the susvara somewhat padded with a bit of haze- IMHO and am looking cleaner sound.

Also- is the 800S as full sounding as the Susvara or is it thinner sounding?????

No question, the Susvara. They surpass even the SR-009 (which I owned for 5 years or so). In terms of "clean and transparent" the two best are the Phi TC and the Susvara. For headphones under $1900-ish, I love both the HD800S and Heddphones.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #5,736 of 8,792
I was wondering - for those who have heard a Susvara and a 800S--- which is cleaner sounding?

I find the susvara somewhat padded with a bit of haze- IMHO and am looking cleaner sound.

Also- is the 800S as full sounding as the Susvara or is it thinner sounding?????

Generally, if a headphone‘s driver membrane curves or moves outwards as far as it is supposed to, accelerate as fast as the impulse dictates, and dampen movement to decelerate quickly when there is no impulse (or music note), then it will sound more crisp and less “hazy,” but it will also sound a bit less “full.” So many things in audio are a trade off.

The fascinating thing is a particular recording or DSP can control the impulses to simulate that kind of “haze“ and fullness on a headphone that is very well controlled, but DSPs cannot fix a loose headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #5,737 of 8,792
Can you describe the sound compared to stock. Did you experience less sibilance then with stock cable? Its oh so importent for enjoyment imo but still i dont like veiled sounds either so its a balance. Looks like an good option.

I never had any sibilance issues. I found the cable provided any extra layer or detail and opened up the sound more. I loved the HD800s before but the 3C cable took them to even even higher level of performance.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #5,738 of 8,792
Seem like recent batch come with 4.4mm Balanced that can be supported by my DAP.

Maybe, but running a pair of 800s off a DAP is like driving a Lamborghini to the convenience store in rush-hour traffic.

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,740 of 8,792
Jun 13, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #5,741 of 8,792
Maybe, but running a pair of 800s off a DAP is like driving a Lamborghini to the convenience store in rush-hour traffic.
🤣 great mental image!

Objectively, some DAPs have adequate power output specs, and DC power from a battery is quite clean. More space in a desktop amp can lead to more ultimate potential, but you might be surprised what portables are capable of. Headphones from a portable... don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it!

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5,742 of 8,792
Is anyone running their HD800s out of speaker amp terminals or is that overkill for 300 Ohm headphones?

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #5,744 of 8,792
Is anyone running their HD800s out of speaker amp terminals or is that overkill for 300 Ohm headphones?

They're easily driven by most HP amps. No more demanding than the classic HD650 so I can think of no good reason to try using an amp that could reduce them to scrap metal in seconds.

No good reason.......Oh Wait !

I forgot where I am. Never mind ;~)

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #5,745 of 8,792
I never had any sibilance issues. I found the cable provided any extra layer or detail and opened up the sound more. I loved the HD800s before but the 3C cable took them to even even higher level of performance.
Thats what i hope the tonekraft cable i ordered will do, bring new life . The C3 universal cable is compelling. Its abit anoying all different HP makers use diffrent standard connection if there was an universal standard for HP connections that would be great when you have invested in an expensive HP cable.

About the sibilance it also depends on the rest of the equipment and cables in the uppstream chain. Hugo 2 can be pretty bright at times. Also there are many poor sibilalant recordings i hear. I also whatch alot of streamed movies and tv series that can be commpresed and bright/harsh when you turn up the volume. Not everything is bright it depends on the content. But to be able to lessen it would be great and at the same time add resolution and openness and details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back