Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #3,721 of 8,689
Looking to replace my cables for this headphone. I use a GSX mk2 so would prefer a 4pin xlr connect. Main reason is I think the stock ones they came with cause a pop every once in a while that I don';t hear on other cans and I feel like the stock cable is way too long.

Any recommendations? I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on something thats widely considered an improvement over the stock XLR cable either. Mainly just want something thats at least equal but much shorter. 5 feet would be good I think since the amp sits on my desk with me.
I order silver plated Satin audio cable, a brand in my local a month ago.
8 wires, 2.0m long, I dont know AWG number but it is quite big for almost connector.
It cost $250.
It has same sound stage size and shape as stock cable. It improve the detail, transparent, a bit better bass amount.

My recomend is silver plate for 800s and copper for none s version.
20180804_233100.jpg SmartSelect_20180804-234135_Gallery.jpg

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #3,722 of 8,689
Good day forum,
I'm looking for a compliment to the HD 800S.

I'd like it to be more affordable .. so I don't feel like I'm handling a newborn.. and I could take it with me on trips without worry.
I've narrowed it down to two options so far: HD 650 and Mod House Audio Argon

What do you guys think?
Which one would be a better compliment?
Mind you, I'm also a bit curious as to how the 650 sound with my Bottlehead.
The Argon sounds like a load of fun though.

Aug 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #3,723 of 8,689
I've been doing some serious gaming recently and been exclusively using my 800S. It's easily the best headset i've ever used for gaming. The soundstage is so big it beautifully captures everything that is going on in the game, it really amazes me how well each sounded is placed. The value it adds to my gaming experience makes the cost of the 800S well worth it, the level of realism is breathtaking to say the least. :)

Have you by any chance tried to game with the TH900?
I find this headphone to be one of the most 'fun' experiences with gaming.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3,724 of 8,689
Good day forum,
I'm looking for a compliment to the HD 800S.

I'd like it to be more affordable .. so I don't feel like I'm handling a newborn.. and I could take it with me on trips without worry.
I've narrowed it down to two options so far: HD 650 and Mod House Audio Argon

It would be hard to beat the current offering from Massdrop...the HD58Xs ....the drop is still on...not so much complimentary but way more in line with the 800S sound than the 650s.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 10.03.53 AM.png
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-review-measurements.867972/

After taking in David Byrnes "American Utopia" concert over the weekend I'm currently listening to the Talking Heads excellent "Stop Making Sense" soundtrack and the HD58Xs at $149...price, performance wise they're giving my 800S a run for their money......running off my Bryston combo BCD-1/BHA-1 the clarity and balance with excellent defined bass really makes them a no brainer IMHO.
Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 10.15.37 AM.png

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #3,726 of 8,689
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for a headphone that is complimentary.

Of all the headphones that I've got the one that is the best compliment to the HD800S for me are the Onkyo A800. It's a lot cheaper than the HD800S but I find it to be a nice break from them quite often due to its very different presentation. I think the A800 is truly a hidden gem at its price point.

As always YMMV, best is of course to demo some alternatives if you've got the possibility to do so.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,727 of 8,689
Of all the headphones that I've got the one that is the best compliment to the HD800S for me are the Onkyo A800. It's a lot cheaper than the HD800S but I find it to be a nice break from them quite often due to its very different presentation. I think the A800 is truly a hidden gem at its price point.

As always YMMV, best is of course to demo some alternatives if you've got the possibility to do so.

From what I'm reading it looks like these have a neutral, intimate presentation with an elevated bass?

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,728 of 8,689
From what I'm reading it looks like these have a neutral, intimate presentation with an elevated bass?

Yeah, that's fairly right. They're definitely warmer and more fuller sounding compared to the HD800S but not as warm and midbass heavy as the HD650 imo. For me the A800 was everything I hoped for the HD650 to be but the latter still have a small advantage in the midrange presentation. The A800 has better extension in both ends. The detail retrieval (while not quite on HD800S level) is surprisingly good for a headphone with this sound signature. They're also more intimate in their presentation compared to the HD800S but the depth and layering is very good in them. I'd say that they're very easy to enjoy and not particularly picky about the source either. The design may scare some people off and I've heard a couple of complaints about comfort but I find them very comfortable my self (for reference I've got a quite small head).

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #3,729 of 8,689
I was wondering, 800 or 800S, are the cups easy to slide down from the headband ?

One side of mine ( the right ) is super easy to fall down by itself and I was wondering if its just how these cans are, or if my cans are defective.

I have noticed this since day one. For the price I would of thought some pressure would of been needed to adjust the cups height, but at times, the right hand side will slip down by itself. Does that happen with other owners ?

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,730 of 8,689
I was wondering, 800 or 800S, are the cups easy to slide down from the headband ?

One side of mine ( the right ) is super easy to fall down by itself and I was wondering if its just how these cans are, or if my cans are defective.

I have noticed this since day one. For the price I would of thought some pressure would of been needed to adjust the cups height, but at times, the right hand side will slip down by itself. Does that happen with other owners ?
Yes, they slip down very easily. I’ve owned 2 hd800 and 2 hd800S and they were all the same. Fortunately I wear them fully extended so it’s not a problem for me.

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,731 of 8,689

I have adjusted my 800S on both sides to my preffered cup height and have not touched it in many months. It does not slide down at all unless i make it slide down. Now keep in mind i am gentle with my headphones but i don't see it sliding down by itself very easily, mine seems tight to me.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,735 of 8,689
It seems like this is a common issue.

It doesnt fall down on its own if I am being gentle, its just a little bit easy to move compared to the left side, and the left side has a louder click sound when moving the cups up or down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back