Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3,706 of 8,689
I do have to point out that there can be a real link between cost and performance, not always as dominant or determining, but it is there. For instance, I completely agree with the sentiment the above poster advocates for, but I also would point out that the gear listed is very expensive so the idea that they will be more than just a price tag as articulated certainly is true, but there is an element of getting to that stage by affording the more expensive gear. I have come across people that eschew the idea that expensive gear is better, and even when they can afford top of the line gear, they actually find their preferred sound signatures in lower cost items, but those people are rare. I do think that typically people purchase the best that they can afford or rationalize.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #3,707 of 8,689
There’s more higher chance I will go for 800S though. But it doesn’t comes with 4.4 plug. On the 820 thread, quite a few people prefer the 820 over 800s

Was wonder if the 800S using the same connectors as the 820?
The 820 uses exactly the same connectors. I could use my Forza Audio Noir Hybrid 1.5m cable to run the HD820 from my Sony WM1A DAP. This cable is in use with my HD800SD normally.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,708 of 8,689
Beautiful definition of endgame!!!

If you sit back and watch, there’s a common trend - all about the latest and greatest and for others it’s all about that next sale. Find what’s best for you, if you do what everyone else is doing you’ll never be satisfied and you’ll be thrown off track as far as knowing what’s best for YOU. Some headphones are technically better but it really boils down to what is your preference based on the genre of music you love and music that moves you emotionally. Once you find the right pair of headphones that bridges that gap between you and the music you love you’ll notice your need to keep searching for the next best thing will will disappear.

You may ask yourself, well how will I know I found the right set of headphones? Well one way of knowing is that no matter what the next new hot item is you won’t be able to partways from your headphones. They’ll mean so much more than how much they cost, you’ll feel something similar to loving someone you really care about. The way you pickup your headphones, the way you lay down your headphones will MATTER to you. You’ll protect them like a child, you won’t take unnecessary chances of your headphones getting broken or damaged. The way you clean them will matter, you may even use a special micro fiber cloth specifically for your headphones to keep them clean, your personal time with the headphones becomes a necessary necessity towards you maintaining a more happier, healthier YOU. my 2 cents...

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #3,709 of 8,689
How do you guys locate your hd800/s on your head?
I put it off center to my back. Want to hear from helix than the way driver(s) pump to ear-hole Screenshot_20180730-230351_Gallery.jpg

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,710 of 8,689
Beautiful post, sums up how I feel about my 800S!
If you sit back and watch, there’s a common trend - all about the latest and greatest and for others it’s all about that next sale. Find what’s best for you, if you do what everyone else is doing you’ll never be satisfied and you’ll be thrown off track as far as knowing what’s best for YOU. Some headphones are technically better but it really boils down to what is your preference based on the genre of music you love and music that moves you emotionally. Once you find the right pair of headphones that bridges that gap between you and the music you love you’ll notice your need to keep searching for the next best thing will will disappear.

You may ask yourself, well how will I know I found the right set of headphones? Well one way of knowing is that no matter what the next new hot item is you won’t be able to partways from your headphones. They’ll mean so much more than how much they cost, you’ll feel something similar to loving someone you really care about. The way you pickup your headphones, the way you lay down your headphones will MATTER to you. You’ll protect them like a child, you won’t take unnecessary chances of your headphones getting broken or damaged. The way you clean them will matter, you may even use a special micro fiber cloth specifically for your headphones to keep them clean, your personal time with the headphones becomes a necessary necessity towards you maintaining a more happier, healthier YOU. my 2 cents...

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,711 of 8,689
There’s more higher chance I will go for 800S though. But it doesn’t comes with 4.4 plug. On the 820 thread, quite a few people prefer the 820 over 800s

Was wonder if the 800S using the same connectors as the 820?

I'd suggest getting a XLR to 4.4 mm adapter instead of a new cable.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #3,712 of 8,689
I think there is some truth to headphones being the better tool for the job of musical reproduction, but I am sure there is some degree of variability, but overall headphones should win. Larger drivers will create a more realistic wave size and the fact that the outer ear structures are engaged are actually, while very subtle, still part of how sound is captured and transmitted into the interior hearing system for processing. I also would never say that headphones can replace speakers, they are very different, but the best speakers in the world will for me anyway be far more musically realistic than the best headphones in the world. I love headphones, but they are different and not directly comparable to speaker listening. A great deal changes when you collapse the distance sound must cover to hit your ears by strapping the speakers right to your ears, and the loss of true channel mixing is not insignificant. I know they have come a long way with creating convincing crossfade DSP, but nothing beats the naturalness of true stereo interpretation done by the most advanced DSP system out there, your brain.

Not true.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...search-realiser-a16-headphone-surround-system
A well professionally tuned EQ will make headphones & speakers indistinguishable.

As for the best speakers in the world bettering the best headphones in the world, the best speakers in the world sell for millions. Outside the HE-1, the highest selling headphones are around the $5,000 mark.

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,713 of 8,689
I've been doing some serious gaming recently and been exclusively using my 800S. It's easily the best headset i've ever used for gaming. The soundstage is so big it beautifully captures everything that is going on in the game, it really amazes me how well each sounded is placed. The value it adds to my gaming experience makes the cost of the 800S well worth it, the level of realism is breathtaking to say the least. :)

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #3,714 of 8,689
Not true.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...search-realiser-a16-headphone-surround-system
A well professionally tuned EQ will make headphones & speakers indistinguishable.

They are similar, but still quite different. A headphone can never imitate a speaker. You v=can use software to simulate room effects, but you can never perfectly duplicate them with software. Those are essentially claims made by a company with a vested interest in claiming they have conquered the laws of physics.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #3,715 of 8,689
The 820 uses exactly the same connectors. I could use my Forza Audio Noir Hybrid 1.5m cable to run the HD820 from my Sony WM1A DAP. This cable is in use with my HD800SD normally.

Great! So I can buy the 820 4.4 original cable and use on 800S!

I'd suggest getting a XLR to 4.4 mm adapter instead of a new cable.

I tried to find so far no result. Mostly xlr to 3.5

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #3,716 of 8,689
Great! So I can buy the 820 4.4 original cable and use on 800S!

I tried to find so far no result. Mostly xlr to 3.5

I know for sure that VE Clan has them, I'm pretty sure I've seen others as well.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #3,719 of 8,689
I've been looking for a balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn cable for over a year now, and didn't really like what was out there for the HD800. I did love the Sony Kimber Kable (MUC-B20SB1) that I had for the Z1R, I thought that cable really improved the sound of those headphones. I don't know if they'll affect the sound of the HD800S as much, but I wanted to give it a try. The cable was $250.

Big thanks to Trevor over at Norne Audio for doing a custom job for me, and attached custom HD800 connectors. I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try them out on the HDV820 and see if there's a noticeable difference.

UBfyGkJl.jpg
UBfyGkJl.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,720 of 8,689
Looking to replace my cables for this headphone. I use a GSX mk2 so would prefer a 4pin xlr connect. Main reason is I think the stock ones they came with cause a pop every once in a while that I don';t hear on other cans and I feel like the stock cable is way too long.

Any recommendations? I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on something thats widely considered an improvement over the stock XLR cable either. Mainly just want something thats at least equal but much shorter. 5 feet would be good I think since the amp sits on my desk with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back