Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 25, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #331 of 8,817
Ok so just to say my favourites are for music rather than HI Fi reasons
Richie Lee Jones first album
T.Rex Electric Warrior
Dusty in Memphis
Aretha Franklin Chain of Fools
Eagles Hotel California
Gregory Porter Liquid Spirit
There are lots of others than I really like but I didn't have all day so these had to do!
Hope that helps?

Sure it helps... start to digging in...
Did You used SACD versions of those (if existing)? I have listened different versions of 'Hotel...', and preferred 'Japanese' SACD'...

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #334 of 8,817
No sorry I don't. It's either Vinyl or Tidal or CD if I'm really stuck.

I'm cd in this trade off. Tidal is good comes off not as crisp and a tad saturated in the low end, IMO. Vinyl, I dunno no opinion.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #336 of 8,817
  Well finally after what seems like an eternity I got the chance to sit down and do a side by side comparison between the new HD800S and my very own HD800s (no mods just in case you were wondering) . I got to spend some time listening to a couple of my all time favourite albums several times through on each and well...............

There is a difference but not a big one and probably less than I was expecting having seen a number of reviews by others (much more experienced than me) on this august web site. The difference at the top end felt as if treble shimmer was gone but not any decrease in treble output or energy. Let me be up front here and say that I have never found the HD800 too bright or thin or peaky or whatever other ills the infamous 6kHz spike is supposed to create.  So maybe I am biased, but on that aspect I had no to conclude no preference for either headphone.

I would also say there was no discernible difference in stage width, depth or imaging that I could hear, and so once again I had no preference for one over the other.

Midranges to me seemed equally neutral although perhaps a tiny closer to absolute accuracy with the 800S but I'm not sure I would have picked it blind every time out of 10.

Bass was marginally in favour of the 800S with a slightly better extension but really marginal.

Overall the differences were so minimal that it would not cause me to trade in my HD800s for the HD800S. If I was choosing one without already having an HD800 then it would be a tricky choice and I might well go for the 800S as it offers the balanced cable at a saving.

So I am a bit surprised in one sense and yet happy in another. It does now make me think that buying a second pair of HD800s for my second system at a bargain reduced price would be a plan and to replace my current HD700s.........

While my reactions were quite similar to yours with hi res classical music  both 24/96 and up to  DXD and DSD up to 128, it would help a bit if you had mentioned what kind of music and which recordings and at which resolution , you have used in your comparison between the two.
I don't have a clue what your all time favourites are.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #337 of 8,817
I have the HD800.
I can afford to buy HD800S right now.
I heard and compared both side by side.

I will not be upgrading to the HD800S.
I find the lower mids both "darkened" and pushed forward,
Creating a whole new area to give attention to in modding.
The resulting sonic image is changed compared to the original and to me it sounds confused and less open.

Many will like the darker heavier sound, but it's not for me.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #338 of 8,817
  While my reactions were quite similar to yours with hi res classical music  both 24/96 and up to  DXD and DSD up to 128, it would help a bit if you had mentioned what kind of music and which recordings and at which resolution , you have used in your comparison between the two.
I don't have a clue what your all time favourites are.

Sometimes it happens here...
answers before questions...look just few earlier posts

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #339 of 8,817
I have the HD800.

The resulting sonic image is changed compared to the original and to me it sounds confused and less open.

Your HD800 'here' modded?

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #340 of 8,817
I have the HD800.

I ended up with an HD800S after never having heard the HD800. Graphs do not show fuller lower mids but I am positive it could be a result of the treble cut that effects everything else. messing with one part of the band increases/decreases perception of another. Our brains compensate in soooo many ways without telling us that it is unreal. Add to the fact that each persons brain may automatically do this differently makes it more weird.

Sat I will get to hear the original HD800 for the first time at a meet with my Nuprime HPA-9 that enables headphone swapping and I am curious like never before. Specifically if I will miss some of that imaging mentioned. 

Sometimes treble peaks help perceived imaging simply because the sharper sounds cut through the recording better... I will try and listen against that and not be fooled by these things and will report back. I am sure you will be right. If I end up liking the HD800 better than the S then I will sell mine and get a colorware carbon HD800. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #341 of 8,817
  I ended up with an HD800S after never having heard the HD800. Graphs do not show fuller lower mids but I am positive it could be a result of the treble cut that effects everything else. messing with one part of the band increases/decreases perception of another. Our brains compensate in soooo many ways without telling us that it is unreal. Add to the fact that each persons brain may automatically do this differently makes it more weird.

Sat I will get to hear the original HD800 for the first time at a meet with my Nuprime HPA-9 that enables headphone swapping and I am curious like never before. Specifically if I will miss some of that imaging mentioned. 

Sometimes treble peaks help perceived imaging simply because the sharper sounds cut through the recording better... I will try and listen against that and not be fooled by these things and will report back. I am sure you will be right. If I end up liking the HD800 better than the S then I will sell mine and get a colorware carbon HD800. 

Yes, mind is the 'real miracle man'... and have good 'let it go' relaxed listener mind. .

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #344 of 8,817
No, not 'same case' as going on with STAX...
Nobody ha found added dampening 'material' like sorbothan or other similar from HD800S
'absorber technology' is meant to 'fix' so called 'hot 6KHz ringing' problem with HD800...
Maybe Sorrodje is better in explaining the case with Sennheiser...

Just read their own advertising. I have provided direct quotes. It is possible that the new model has less ringing at 6kHz for various reasons including visco-elastic damping

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #345 of 8,817
Just read their own advertising. I have provided direct quotes. It is possible that the new model has less ringing at 6kHz for various reasons including visco-elastic damping

Nobody has discovered any 'visco-elastic' materials from HD800 and also from HD800S too...
But maybe You can give suggestions directly to Sennheiser... and why not... it seems, that slight 'rattling' has been discovered with new Orpheus II, when music contains lot of deep bass. NB! Seems that new Orpheus has more deep bass than all other electrostats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back