Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Feb 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #346 of 8,828

Nobody has discovered any 'visco-elastic' materials from HD800 and also from HD800S too...
But maybe You can give suggestions directly to Sennheiser... and why not... it seems, that slight 'rattling' has been discovered with new Orpheus II, when music contains lot of deep bass. NB! Seems that new Orpheus has more deep bass than all other electrostats

Its in the headband. Your argument merely confirms my previous observation that no-one has paid attention to or understands what Sennhesier actually says about what they are doing. Here are more direct quotes with the links.  

“Metal headband with inner-damping element” “minimal resonance”  
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800

The headband consists of a sandwich design in which a metal layer is covered with several layers of plastic. The high-tech plastic possesses incredible attenuation characteristics and ensures that oscillations are not transmitted to the headphone mountings.
“Leona, an ultra-light, high-rigidity special plastic, is as hard as titanium and thus yielding extremely low oscillation”
“They (the jacks)are additionally covered with high-quality material for better shielding from oscillations caused by ambient noise. The jacks “
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441318431&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+800

“High damping membrance” on headband    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/4746/HD800_DE_EN.pdf

I am not sure where I got the term "visco-elastic"  that is a descriptor for certain plastic properties.  It may be in the Sennheiser pdf which is not opening now.  They appear to prefer to use the term "high-tech plastic" in their ads.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #347 of 8,828
   Its in the headband. Your argument merely confirms my previous observation that no-one has paid attention to or understands what Sennhesier actually says about what they are doing. Here are more direct quotes with the links.  

“Metal headband with inner-damping element” “minimal resonance”  
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800

The headband consists of a sandwich design in which a metal layer is covered with several layers of plastic. The high-tech plastic possesses incredible attenuation characteristics and ensures that oscillations are not transmitted to the headphone mountings.
“Leona, an ultra-light, high-rigidity special plastic, is as hard as titanium and thus yielding extremely low oscillation”
“They (the jacks)are additionally covered with high-quality material for better shielding from oscillations caused by ambient noise. The jacks “
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441318431&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+800

“High damping membrance” on headband    http://en-us.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/4746/HD800_DE_EN.pdf

I am not sure where I got the term "visco-elastic"  that is a descriptor for certain plastic properties.  It may be in the Sennheiser pdf which is not opening now.  They appear to prefer to use the term "high-tech plastic" in their ads.

Yeah, sure, nobody in THIS thread have read and understood 'Sennheiser statements'...
thank You for 'enlightening' [promoting Sorbothane] everybody here and in STAX thread too!
How many HD800 or HD800S headbands are You opened (and discovered 'visco-elastic' Sorbothane there)?

I suggest to help Sennheiser with 'workable' solutions too

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #348 of 8,828
dang... I can't believe it took me this long to finally hear a pair of HD800's. I really want to hear the HD800 original. 

They sound great... better bass than the Dharma by a lot. I can even play my reggae music with these(some of them not all though and not without eq). Other songs sound great as is. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #349 of 8,828
Congrats, Grizzly, and welcome to the club!
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #350 of 8,828
Digging the wood block

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #352 of 8,828

They sound great... better bass than the Dharma by a lot. I can even play my reggae music with these.

I agree, the bass IS really good. I keep switching back and forth between my LCD-2 F and my S and The F's bass is neither as impactful, nor as full: quality and quantity favor the S. This is a big surprise for me. The S is proving to be ridiculously good.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #354 of 8,828
I agree, the bass IS really good. I keep switching back and forth between my LCD-2 F and my S and The F's bass is neither as impactful, nor as full: quality and quantity favor the S. This is a big surprise for me. The S is proving to be ridiculously good.
Strange... Many folks here said that bass is just slightly stronger than HD800. HD800 on the other hand was far behind LCDs bass...

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #355 of 8,828
Strange... Many folks here said that bass is just slightly stronger than HD800. HD800 on the other hand was far behind LCDs bass...

Mine is the Fazor model and I believe Audeze has been tweaking the LCD models in an attempt to strike a better balance. Also, the associated equipment will effect the overall results, but still I was surprised; especially in view of the notion that Audeze LCDs produce more bass. The S bass is more articulate which results in better definition, so in the context of live music the bass player can maintain a relatively lower volume because of the ability of the bass to cut through competing sounds from the other instruments.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #356 of 8,828
They sound great... better bass than the Dharma by a lot. I can even play my reggae music with these.

Im not going to call it full, nor does it slam hard ie the Omni bass is harder fuller, and slams harder, the lcd2.1 is fuller slams harder but is not as tight. I am hoping that when my trafomatic head 2 arrives it gives it some impact and body. As of right now my nuprime or infinity hp out is not really helping the bass but does reveal it to easily best the dharma in solidity and control.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #359 of 8,828
Mine is the Fazor model and I believe Audeze has been tweaking the LCD models in an attempt to strike a better balance. Also, the associated equipment will effect the overall results, but still I was surprised; especially in view of the notion that Audeze LCDs produce more bass. The S bass is more articulate which results in better definition, so in the context of live music the bass player can maintain a relatively lower volume because of the ability of the bass to cut through competing sounds from the other instruments.
Oh, i see. Looks like Audeze and Sennheiser are now making a bit more balanced headphones. HD800 was too bright and LCD2 was too dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back