Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5,056 of 6,607
Aug 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #5,058 of 6,607
I really miss my HD800's. They are an incredible pair of headphones! 

I've been listening to my Yamaha EPH-100 for a few months and they are very good for the price but they do not, in any way, match the HD800 with a decent amp. Sometimes, especially when I've been drinking, they lack the pure and simple natural sound that the HD800 deliver. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #5,059 of 6,607
Quote:
I really miss my HD800's. They are an incredible pair of headphones! 

I've been listening to my Yamaha EPH-100 for a few months and they are very good for the price but they do not, in any way, match the HD800 with a decent amp. Sometimes, especially when I've been drinking, they lack the pure and simple natural sound that the HD800 deliver. 

What happened to your HD 800's?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #5,060 of 6,607
So, HD800 > K1000.

Edit:

In the words of Chuck Palahniuk (the writer of Fight Club), the K1000 / First Watt F3 combination has, for the most part, made me go a "big rubbery one."  

The headphone is pretty cool I must admit.  And the sound isn't half-bad, but next to the HD800, it falls short in the technical areas of: extension, resolution, and soundstage.  Yes, even soundstage.  Even with it's stretched out horizontal stage and binaural trickery, the K1Ks fall short of the HD800's depth & presentation.  Ultimately, the Senn is the more convincing one of the two.

The F3 clone actually needs to go to 2pm to drive the K1K (ridiculous), and it's the oddest solid state amp I've ever heard.  It has slightly polite bass without too much kick/attack and a "liquid" midrange.  The presentation is amazingly laid back.  I think this might just be the "Pass" house sound and it's pretty damn good.  Unfortunate that it doesn't have more headroom for the K1000.  There are a lot of reports out there of this amp sounding like a good 45 SET tube amp, and they're probably correct.

It does kick the LCD-2's ass, and I'm finally not underpowering those.  The LCD-2s sound better than they ever have in my system.  The separation is finally not falling apart in busier passages, and the sound is so smooth w.o. any signs of strain.  But again, even with those LCD-3 pads (which help a lot) the LCD-2 is close, but not quite at the level of the HD800.  

And to be honest, my HD800 rig isn't even that great.  I know a better amp would provide more slam and a more cohesive presentation (in terms of tone thickness...ie. non-thin) - thinking of Nikongod's Silver Ghost amp here.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #5,062 of 6,607
The headphones are a bit out of my budget at the moment, but with the HD800 does it really sound like things (e.g. vocalist) are positioned in front of you? For instance as if something is playing across the room from you and not inside of your head? I've read this in a couple of reviews of the HD800, but is it true, or has it been somewhat exaggerated?

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #5,063 of 6,607
Quote:
The headphones are a bit out of my budget at the moment, but with the HD800 does it really sound like things (e.g. vocalist) are positioned in front of you? For instance as if something is playing across the room from you and not inside of your head? I've read this in a couple of reviews of the HD800, but is it true, or has it been somewhat exaggerated?

It's true. You get an expansive soundstage with detail retrieval that beats all competitors at this price range.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #5,064 of 6,607
Quote:

HD800 have one the most (if not the most) impressive (big and wide) sounstage of all headphones. And they also sound very transparent.

But in comparison with a good pair of speakers HD800 sound have small soundstage and slightly disordered sound.

So it depends on what do you mean under "inside of your head".

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #5,065 of 6,607
Does anyone know what the HD800's retermination is? Is it MMCX? Because I have an SRH1840 by Shure, and I'm not completely satisfied with its sound. Many others said that if I change the cable , the edgy highs dissappear, but I don't want to buy DIY cables, beacause I rather trust in big names like CARDAS, Moon Audio etc. But they don't offer cables for the SRH1840. And here comes in the HD800. If the retermination type of the HD800 is the same that of the 1840s, I can order a cable with HD800 retermination and plug it into my Shures.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #5,066 of 6,607
Quote:

All headphones takes on soundstaging from an on-stage perspective, so it will be the complete opposite of speakers which lays out the soundstage in front of you and the HD800 is no exception.

Vocals or lead instrument is slightly ahead of your nose and everything else is depth, layers, going backwards towards the back of your head and beyond. What the HD800 excels at, is providing the listener with probably the largest soundstage available with headphones, extremely wide(beyond shoulders) and deep(beyond the back of your head) with an excellent height perspective.

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #5,067 of 6,607
Quote:

Nope.  

The 800 is probably the best headphone at providing a credible stage and listening experience, but it is NOT the holography a properly set up speaker rig provides.  If that's what you're referring to.

Quote:

All headphones takes on soundstaging from an on-stage perspective, so it will be the complete opposite of speakers which lays out the soundstage in front of you...

confused_face.gif
  Are you wearing yours backwards?  

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #5,068 of 6,607
Quote:
Does anyone know what the HD800's retermination is? Is it MMCX? Because I have an SRH1840 by Shure, and I'm not completely satisfied with its sound. Many others said that if I change the cable , the edgy highs dissappear, but I don't want to buy DIY cables, beacause I rather trust in big names like CARDAS, Moon Audio etc. But they don't offer cables for the SRH1840. And here comes in the HD800. If the retermination type of the HD800 is the same that of the 1840s, I can order a cable with HD800 retermination and plug it into my Shures.

If you are talking about the connectors at the cups side I might be wrong but I think those are unique to the HD800.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #5,069 of 6,607
Quote:
If you are talking about the connectors at the cups side I might be wrong but I think those are unique to the HD800.

The Shure SRH1840 uses unique connectors as well.  They are definately not compatible with the HD800 connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back