Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Aug 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #5,071 of 6,607
Quote:
What happened to your HD 800's?

I'm not really rich and had to help a friend out so I sold them. :) 

I really do look forward to owning them again sometime in the near future though. They took my listening experience to a whole other level and I quite miss it. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #5,072 of 6,607
Has someone already noticed a wearing off of the Alcantara pads?

On my HD800 (~2 years old now, nearly daily used) there are some dark-grey areas on the normally black pads.

They are shining through, so to speak...

First, I thought that that was dirt from sweating, but after washing the HD800 pads, this is even more noticeable.

The pads are and feel otherwise fine (like new) and the filling is not coming out or so (there are no holes in it).

Searching the Internet led my to some HD800 pictures, where you can see such areas on the HD800's pads, too.

So I guess it might be normal that the upper coat of the Alcantara wears off after a while.

Here a picture of my HD800, to show you what exactly I mean (marked with thin red lines):

New replacement pads cost ~75 EUR.

Maybe I'll buy some to store them, because there may come a day in the (hopefully distant) future, when the pads need to be replaced, so or so.

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5,073 of 6,607
Quote:
So, HD800 > K1000.

Edit:

In the words of Chuck Palahniuk (the writer of Fight Club), the K1000 / First Watt F3 combination has, for the most part, made me go a "big rubbery one."  

The headphone is pretty cool I must admit.  And the sound isn't half-bad, but next to the HD800, it falls short in the technical areas of: extension, resolution, and soundstage.  Yes, even soundstage.  Even with it's stretched out horizontal stage and binaural trickery, the K1Ks fall short of the HD800's depth & presentation.  Ultimately, the Senn is the more convincing one of the two.

The F3 clone actually needs to go to 2pm to drive the K1K (ridiculous), and it's the oddest solid state amp I've ever heard.  It has slightly polite bass without too much kick/attack and a "liquid" midrange.  The presentation is amazingly laid back.  I think this might just be the "Pass" house sound and it's pretty damn good.  Unfortunate that it doesn't have more headroom for the K1000.  There are a lot of reports out there of this amp sounding like a good 45 SET tube amp, and they're probably correct.

It does kick the LCD-2's ass, and I'm finally not underpowering those.  The LCD-2s sound better than they ever have in my system.  The separation is finally not falling apart in busier passages, and the sound is so smooth w.o. any signs of strain.  But again, even with those LCD-3 pads (which help a lot) the LCD-2 is close, but not quite at the level of the HD800.  

And to be honest, my HD800 rig isn't even that great.  I know a better amp would provide more slam and a more cohesive presentation (in terms of tone thickness...ie. non-thin) - thinking of Nikongod's Silver Ghost amp here.

Yea you basically said it all with the K1000 vs HD800 comparison. I got rid of my K1K a while back (though I still think they're enjoyable headphones).

I'm also with you on the LCD-2 vs HD800 comments.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #5,074 of 6,607
Since having spent time with the HD 800 pretty much exclusively over the past few weeks without switching between and comparing it to other headphones, the HD 800 is starting to consistently feel like a comfortable pair of slippers that always hit the spot, and what was a problematic glare/brightness with the HD 800 seems to have vanished being replaced by sheer clarity with great impact -- it's amazing what a change of thought can create! 

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #5,075 of 6,607
Hello guys, first time posting here.

I landed some HD800's today and I was in for a rude awakening. Disregard the avatar, it's a fan's picture.

It was really cute to jeer at the HD800 fans who spent the better part of 1.5K on a headphone knowing I had a headphone that was regarded as better for considerably less money.

IF we throw fanboyism and brand loyalties out the window, I believe the HD800 is a better sounding headphone to me. I am a convert and I will be more active on this part of the forum now.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #5,076 of 6,607
Quote:
Hello guys, first time posting here.

I landed some HD800's today and I was in for a rude awakening. Disregard the avatar, it's a fan's picture.

It was really cute to jeer at the HD800 fans who spent the better part of 1.5K on a headphone knowing I had a headphone that was regarded as better for considerably less money.

IF we throw fanboyism and brand loyalties out the window, I believe the HD800 is a better sounding headphone to me. I am a convert and I will be more active on this part of the forum now.

Welcome to the cult :wink:

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #5,078 of 6,607
Quote:
Good to have you around!

Hey could you sum up your mod real quick? I briefly saw a thread title with your name in it.

Good to be here. Currently listening to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack with my eyes rolled back going into convulsions from the bliss

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #5,079 of 6,607
Quote:

Hey could you sum up your mod real quick? I briefly saw a thread title with your name in it.

Good to be here. Currently listening to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack with my eyes rolled back going into convulsions from the bliss

Heh, that's pretty funny.  You made me switch over to listen to that soundtrack instead of some R.E.M. just now.

I've had my HD800 for over 3 years, having brought them home from CanJam 2009 as one of the 1st pairs sold.  I'm keeping them forever even if they don't sound great on every amp I have.  I've been rediscovering them since I found out how well they pair with the Nuforce DAC-100 in my bedroom.  I used to have to go downstairs to my main rig to listen to them on the ZDT, while my bedroom rig was more convenient but didn't have a DAC amp that was 100% right for them.

I sold my K1000 after I got the HD800...

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #5,080 of 6,607
Quote:

Thin Creatology foam, cut in a circle and trapezoid to match the exposed metal and plastic areas under the dust covers.  Leave the covers off for added clarity if you like or put them back if too bright w/ your setup.  Done.

SS too wide and not enough bass for you?  Make the rings w/ more outer diameter w/o covering the driver on the inner.

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #5,081 of 6,607
Quote:

Heh, that's pretty funny.  You made me switch over to listen to that soundtrack instead of some R.E.M. just now.

I've had my HD800 for over 3 years, having brought them home from CanJam 2009 as one of the 1st pairs sold.  I'm keeping them forever even if they don't sound great on every amp I have.  I've been rediscovering them since I found out how well they pair with the Nuforce DAC-100 in my bedroom.  I used to have to go downstairs to my main rig to listen to them on the ZDT, while my bedroom rig was more convenient but didn't have a DAC amp that was 100% right for them.

HD800 over a 3 year span means you paid off the listening pleasure a LONG time ago man. The HD800 is not a full-time switch, I simply cannot afford them. But they do have their advantages which could be considered their flaws when compared against HE-500 and LCD-2.

I'm using an NFB-12 which for $230 is quite amazing, I used to have the Bifrost/Lyr stack with the HE-500 but then the Nuforce HDP and this unit here were doing the same job for less money, albeit the HDP does not power the HE-5LE effectively.

Quote:

Thin Creatology foam, cut in a circle and trapezoid to match the exposed metal and plastic areas under the dust covers.  Leave the covers off for added clarity if you like or put them back if too bright w/ your setup.  Done.

SS too wide and not enough bass for you?  Make the rings w/ more outer diameter w/o covering the driver on the inner.

Hmm yeah I see where the demand for that would be, the HD800 is more sound, dispersed in that massive chamber so if you're used to a wall of sound that is 1 dimensional, it could sound kind of brassy and thin.

For me, I'm picking up gobs of resolution right now with less gain, less volume, less weight, and comfier pads albeit at a good deal more money. I don't know where people put the LCD-2 as efficient. I need 100% on the iphone to get a good volume level, and the LCD-2 needs more gain than the HD800 for me at least. It's relatively efficient compared to it's competitors, but it's still amp dependent.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #5,082 of 6,607
All sounds right to me.

If you want resolution, the HD800 is top 3 in the world depending on who you ask.  Which is #1 will also depend on who you ask.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #5,083 of 6,607
Welcome aboard Chris, even if it's temporary.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #5,084 of 6,607
Quote:

How can you describe the sound of the nuforce dac 100? My nuforce rep has been hyping this product up for weeks now and I couldn't really believe nuforce synergizing well with the hd800's...!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #5,085 of 6,607
I have been using  my HD800 extensively with the Triad L3/LLP and with the bass knob at 11 o'clock..........Now we are talking!!!

This combination has turned the HD800 from sounding like a great pair of mini monitors to a pair of full range speakers........wonderful
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back