Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5,043 of 6,607
900x900px-LL-97f8f2c1_Setup6-12small.jpeg

More when I find the link...

Here it is: http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/3765#post_8338820

edit:

Oh. Yeah, Anaxilus has mine atm to test on Purrin's stuff. He also has my Bryston to evaluate and show at the meet in a week.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #5,044 of 6,607
Aug 10, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #5,047 of 6,607
For the past 2 weeks I've been listening to nothing but my HE-500 and HD800 full size phones, while evaluating a new Nuforce DAC100 DAC/amp.  Highly recommended!  This is a an absolute match made in heaven with my HD800, but still pretty good with my low impedance HE-500 which are pretty demanding on an amp for current delivery.  I understand that the DAC100 can swing 10+ volts into 300 ohm, but drops closer to 2 volts into "low impedance" loads (and I think output impedance is close to 15 ohm).  

I have compared it to several other SS DAC/amp combos and the DAC100 has a bit more of an open and deeper soundstage than my DACmini, Apogee mini-DAC, or Nuforce HDP with S11 PSU.  In comparison the DACmini is slightly more forward and brighter sounding, the HDP is kinda in the middle with soundstage and slightly more aggressive, and the mini-DAC has a more shallow depth of presentation with a little edge to it when used with HD800.  

The DAC100 is also a bit more refined sounding, not aggressive or grainy in any way, and offers a pretty nice kick in the low end with HD800.  It also goes way louder than I could ever stand, without distortion.  Note - I am using a Locus-Design Hyperion Cable I got from Lee about a year before he passed way.  And I have HD800 serial number #660 that I picked up at the 2009 CanJam, as one of the first pairs sold when they were released.

Prior to the DAC100 the only solid state amp I have throughly enjoyed with the HD800 was the Luxman P-1u, which sounds a lot like my Eddie Current ZDT with partial silver transformers and Tung Sol 5751 tube.  I don't have the Luxman to compare now (was a TTVJ loaner), but I'd say the DAC100 comes very close to what I recall.  I'll compare it to my ZDT eventually, but since the DAC100 doesn't have analog inputs I'll have to use it as the source for the ZDT.  Usually I only listen to the HD800 with my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC > ZDT amp, because they sound a little aggressive with my other amps.  If I tune my Woo WA6 to sound best with the HD800, then the amp lacks sparkle and soundstage with my other phones.

I am going to post a full review in the products section soon, hopefully by the 18th before I travel.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #5,050 of 6,607
Quote:
Have you listened to V200 as well and could compare the two paired with HD800?

No, sorry.  I've only tried a few solid state desktop amps with the HD800.

SS amps I've tried with the HD800 that were great with them were Luxman P-1u, Nuforce DAC100, and HiFiMan EF-6.  I enjoy these with the HD800 about as much as my Eddie Current ZDT.  Can't say they are all on the same level, but they all have good synergy with the HD800.

SS amps that were fairly good with HD800 were Grahm Slee Solo SRG II (but not the original SRG yuck) and ALO Amphora.  I tried a B22 and Lavry DA11 with them at a meet and it was fairly good, but in meet conditions and can't say I liked the pairing as much as the above.  These were all about as good in synergy as the Schitt Valhalla tube amp with HD800.

SS amps that are not bad but not optimal with HD800 are DACmini and SR-71b in balanced mode (which pair with them better than EF5 or EF2 hybrids).

SS amps that are a little fatiguing with HD800 are the Apogee mini-DAC with 12v Sigma 11 PSU, Nuforce HDP with 15v Sigma 11 PSU, and SAC KH1000 via APogee XLR out. (the HDP is much more refined with S11 PSU than Std PSU)

Of the portables that sounded good with HD800, I like the balanced SR-71b the most followed by the Meier 3MOVE (using Pico DAC as source).  The Stepdance prototype was slightly grainy with HD800, the final version less so but I had less time with it, but still not as good as the other two.  The HM-801 is better with HD800 than the Meier amps, and almost as good as the SR-71b but a little darker and less powerful.  The Pico Slim has great tonal balance with HD800 but is fairly underpowered with them - good for low volume listening at night.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5,051 of 6,607
Quote:
The majority of this progressive song was produced by my friend with the HD800s, enjoy!

Does he have a high resolution of that picture?  It looks like it'd be a sweet wallpaper!

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5,053 of 6,607
Quote:
Of the portables that sounded good with HD800, I like the balanced SR-71b the most followed by the Meier 3MOVE (using Pico DAC as source).  The Stepdance prototype was slightly grainy with HD800, the final version less so but I had less time with it, but still not as good as the other two.  The HM-801 is better with HD800 than the Meier amps, and almost as good as the SR-71b but a little darker and less powerful.  The Pico Slim has great tonal balance with HD800 but is fairly underpowered with them - good for low volume listening at night.

Larry, you've got to try the ALO RX3 w/ the HD800.  One of the best amps I've heard w/ the HD800.  The SR71B can't hold a candle to it in that regard.  The detail, clarity and space w/o any sonic aberrations like grain and glare do the HD800 justice. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5,054 of 6,607
Quote:

Larry, you've got to try the ALO RX3 w/ the HD800.  One of the best amps I've heard w/ the HD800.  The SR71B can't hold a candle to it in that regard.  The detail, clarity and space w/o any sonic aberrations like grain and glare do the HD800 justice. 

Well, considering that I don't use the HD800 with portable amps, and for a long time I only used them with my ZDT after trying many amps, I'm not sure I want to spend the money on more portable gear. Maybe I'll get to hear this at RMAF, but I'm not sure that will make me buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back