Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 17, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #4,141 of 6,607
Quote:
The microphone used to record the violin is just as big of a factor as the driver used to listen to the recording.

Of course it is - and where it's placed.  Move a microphone just a few inches and you can get a big difference in the sound.

That's what a good recording engineer will do - he (she) understands the acoustics and will (hopefully) choose the best mic. and put it in the best place taking into account the acoustic, the instrument and the music.

The HD 800 in a good amp. just reveals all this better than most other headphones.

May 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #4,142 of 6,607
Quote:

Of course it is - and where it's placed.  Move a microphone just a few inches and you can get a big difference in the sound.

That's what a good recording engineer will do - he (she) understands the acoustics and will (hopefully) cboose the best mic. and put it in the best place taking into account the acoustic, the instrument and the music.

The HD 800 in a good amp. just reveals all this better than most other headphones.

+1

May 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,143 of 6,607
Picked up a WA22 from cacatalysis, now need to get a new cable. Any recs? Been looking through a few pages and the Black Dragon's seem to be a solid choice.

May 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4,144 of 6,607
Just received my HD 800 today and am temporarily driving it with a Fiio E17. Despite the lack of a proper amp (for now), I am quite amazed at how they blow all my past cans out of the water, only the HD 650 can hold a candle next to it in its own way. Initially, I thought that my HD 800 sounded eerily similar to the srh940, only a lot better. Though, similar only in a sense that there is no emphasized bass and was slightly treble happy. Oh and by the way, what was the whole rage about the HD 800 being too sibilant or hot in the treble about? My Serial number is 16XXX and I hardly hear any sibilance. Or at least I just don't cringe like I do compared to my srh940 or M50. I do find that the Senns are slightly treble emphasized but the treble is never harsh on my ears and they certainly don't sparkle excessively like a grado (sorry grado fans). So far so good and am awaiting my ALO Continental and Dacport Lx to arrive and kick things up a notch (what's taking USPS so long!).

May 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #4,149 of 6,607
Quote:

There they are. Woo stand came in yesterday. Thought I'd share with my new favorite owners club. :D

Nice stand! I have the silver one and I love it. It's a bit expensive (although it's not bad at all compared to the custom wooden ones) but totally worth the price imo.

May 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #4,150 of 6,607
Quote:

Quote:

There they are. Woo stand came in yesterday. Thought I'd share with my new favorite owners club. :D

Such a combination seems to be a popular one these days - Wow, how privileged we are! Thank you. 
o2smile.gif

May 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4,152 of 6,607
For me its going to be the HD800 and the Westone ES5.

May 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #4,153 of 6,607
Received my HD800 yesterday from B&H Photo. Although they are brand new, the serial number is 120XX. People are posting much higher serial numbers for receintly purchased HD800s. Has there been any confirmed change between SN 12XXX and SN 16XXX?  Should I return these and find a set with a higher serial number? I would really like to avoid this but it could be done since the store has a 30-day return policy.

I use B&H Photo to purchase camera gear. Apparently they don't move much volume of hi-fi equipment. When were the first SN 12XXX availble in stores? Early 2011? 

May 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #4,154 of 6,607
Quote:
Received my HD800 yesterday from B&H Photo. Although they are brand new, the serial number is 120XX. People are posting much higher serial numbers for receintly purchased HD800s. Has there been any confirmed change between SN 12XXX and SN 16XXX?  Should I return these and find a set with a higher serial number? I would really like to avoid this but it could be done since the store has a 30-day return policy.

I use B&H Photo to purchase camera gear. Apparently they don't move much volume of hi-fi equipment. When were the first SN 12XXX availble in stores? Early 2011? 

the newer ones have a tamer treble, and thats odd because the hd800s they have on display have a serial number in the 15xxx range

May 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #4,155 of 6,607
Quote:

Why would you want a set with higher SN? They are all the same anyway 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back