Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4,126 of 6,607
Quote:
No.  FR is not the totality of sound.  No EQ can compensate for disparities in physics.  Your better bet would be DSP and RTA but even then we still have no way to perfectly replicate a violin being played live using the best recording and playback devices.  We can get very very close but close is not identical.  The best is to play a near identical violin.  

It really still astonishes me that some think EQ can fix everything.  The world is not perfectly linear and two dimensional, geez.  Gross oversimplification.

well i wasn't talking about EQ i was talking about the Driver. Theoretically it should be possible for A driver to sound the exact same as the violin. 

May 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #4,127 of 6,607
Quote:
Theoretically it should be possible for A driver to sound the exact same as the violin. 

Theoretically there's another pair of us having this same conversation.  
wink_face.gif

May 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #4,129 of 6,607
Quote:
lol, let me ask you something. In 50 - 100 years do you think a Driver would be able to replicate a real instrument to 100%?

Hehe, this is a bit OT but I'd say the question is too simple and presumptuous.  I only mean the latter in that you're asking about a prediction of the future which is logically flawed.  But if we're chewing the fat over beer and pretzels and I can offer a completely meaningless response, sure why not.  Hopefully they'll be solar powered and can give me a lift to work too.  
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #4,130 of 6,607
Quote:
Hehe, this is a bit OT but I'd say the question is too simple and presumptuous.  I only mean the latter in that you're asking about a prediction of the future which is logically flawed.  But if we're chewing the fat over beer and pretzels and I can offer a completely meaningless response, sure why not.  Hopefully they'll be solar powered and can give me a lift to work too.  
biggrin.gif

lol ok i win then. Back to main topic.

May 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4,131 of 6,607
May 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4,132 of 6,607
lol, let me ask you something. In 50 - 100 years do you think a Driver would be able to replicate a real instrument to 100%?

Impossible by any means we understand today. The sound would have to be produced by a chamber identical to a violin or manipulation of air by way of gravity a la star trek's holodeck/tractor beam.

The violin fallacy is itself a fallacy. People have preferences just as we see in headphones. Just because someone loves their 70s orthos better than anything new, doesn't mean that someone who prefers the new to the 70s orthos is wrong. Also testing a violin in a hotel room is like trying out HD800s at a rock concert. Worthless.

May 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #4,133 of 6,607
It's not the violin fallacy, it's the expensive violin fallacy (usually explained in the context of the Stradivarius mythos). Violins sound different and different violinists prefer different instruments for reasons including tonality. The fallacy is that those six-figure violins built by ancient masters have a tonality that is somehow superior or unmatchable by modestly priced modern instruments. Or that a six-figure violin can put out some mysterious shade of sound that a three or four figure violin can't.

Granted that a gifted violinist whose patron has bequeathed them with a Strad will no doubt play it with greater care and respect than any other violin. Maybe it'll instill confidence and aid in a superior performance. But chances are that that very Strad has already been fully rebuilt several times over and that in blind tests among violinists it may not have the generally preferred sound.

There's the sound and then there's the image. People will pay more for the image regardless of the sound.

Oddly enough, with the HD800, you definitely pay for the sound. Though I find its looks acceptable I know of few people who would seek to drop 1500$ on a plastic sci-fi prop that doubles as a headphone.

May 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4,134 of 6,607
Been reading these last few posts. I think it pays to remember the don't drink and post rule. (Applies to me too, for full disclosure.)
Jude must be out to lunch now. Hope this nice thread doesn't get quarantined.
Hey Jude...

May 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #4,135 of 6,607
The microphone used to record the violin is just as big of a factor as the driver used to listen to the recording.

May 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #4,136 of 6,607
Quote:
The microphone used to record the violin is just as big of a factor as the driver used to listen to the recording.

Not in 50-100 years!  In the meantime have a beer.  
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4,139 of 6,607
May 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #4,140 of 6,607
Alright guys. Calling it now. These take the cake over my LCD 2 for anything but EDM. Pretty blown away by these out of the LF. The detail is fabulous.

Listened to some Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Mumford & Sons tonight. Very different from hearing them with the LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back