Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #4,111 of 6,607
Quote:
Let us know what you think of it after some blind testing. 

I'm interested in the results, too. My research on the Blue Dragon v3 suggests that the difference over stock may be slight for many listeners. However, several users suggest that the Black Dragon v2 may have the added power and body we're all looking for. I hope TWIFOSP gets the cable soon!

May 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #4,112 of 6,607
Quote:
but of course the driver has the capability to add to any frequency which makes it possible to make a £1000 violin sound like a £20,000 violin.

dt880smile.png
  No

May 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #4,115 of 6,607
Quote:
lol why not? it can add to any frequency, why isnt it possible?

If you EQ your headphones to make $1000 violin sound like $20k violin (assuming that's even feasible - I'd imagine the sonic differences of $1000 vs $20000 violin are extremely subtle and specific and impossible to be quantified manually), then it'd make actual $20k violins sound like crap.

May 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4,118 of 6,607
Quote:
lol why not? it can add to any frequency, why isnt it possible?

What's frequency got to do with an expensive instrument?

A cheap violin and an expensive violin would be playing the same frequency and yet sound very different.

rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #4,124 of 6,607
Quote:
lol, sound is just vibrations, therefore what ever vibrations the violin makes; even the resonances from the material can be replicated. Right?

No.  FR is not the totality of sound.  No EQ can compensate for disparities in physics.  Your better bet would be DSP and RTA but even then we still have no way to perfectly replicate a violin being played live using the best recording and playback devices.  We can get very very close but close is not identical.  The best is to play a near identical violin.  

It really still astonishes me that some think EQ can fix everything.  The world is not perfectly linear and two dimensional, geez.  Gross oversimplification.

May 16, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #4,125 of 6,607
Also, why would one expect a tiny driver to move air in the exact same way as a violin, which works very differently.  It's totally conceivable that they would sound different, cheap or expensive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back