Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #3,376 of 6,607
But if someone were to buy the HD800 just to play from their ipod then they have just wasted all that money they could of spent buying something cheaper that would sound the same.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,377 of 6,607

Quote:
I'll agree with both of those.  The HD800 certainly isn't just "fake" detail like a lot of other 'phones are.  It just has some of that added on top of its already impressive real resolution.  I'm not trying to dis it or anything.  Its just that I think its voicing will punish poorer quality sources more than a hypothetical perfect transducer would.

Absolutely agreed.  Didn't mean to accuse you of dissing it either.  I know your analysis comes from a good place.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3,378 of 6,607
Two reasons why the HD800 from an iPod or whatever bother me personally.  

1-No where near the maximum potential of the HD800, so major gimping.  Doesn't mean it becomes a random $10 PoS phone either.

2-I come from the world of IEMs and there's a bunch from $150-$950 I'd listen to from such a source over the HD800 anyday. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3,379 of 6,607
I agree with you. I guess I don't really have a point in my post, because I wouldn't want to listen to my HD800s from my phone. All I'm saying is that even from my phone, it's listenable.

Quote:

1-No where near the maximum potential of the HD800, so major gimping.  Doesn't mean it becomes a random $10 PoS phone either.

2-I come from the world of IEMs and there's a bunch from $150-$950 I'd listen to from such a source over the HD800 anyday. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3,380 of 6,607
Wow.  New tube in my Super 7 doing sweet things.

Sound is hypnotic with this HD800 system...gots bass- plus it's lush, resolving, enveloping, natural.  And easily tunable.

(Not as fast as some of the STAX set-ups I have heard but it's got what I was aiming for.)

Time to start sharing with Bay Area peeps. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #3,381 of 6,607

Quote:
What is the best integrated DAC/amp for hd800 under a grand?

DACS Clarity HeadMaster @ £849 +VAT

This is the professional version - I understand that it was so well received driving the HD 800 at a Head-Fi UK meet, that DACS were considering a re-box for the consumer market.

Personally I have used the Grace m902b and now upgraded to the m903 with mine - but that is a good step up from the 1k mark.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #3,382 of 6,607

Quote:
Apologies if my post comes across as defensive, but do you have a link to support your assertion? 

It's just random comments I've read all across the Internet. Some people do actually like the Asgard more than the Lyr. Some people like the Lyr more than the Asgard. I think both are capable of driving the HD800 quite well. 

I know that Jason himself likes the Lyr more, but I'm just saying that not everyone agrees. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #3,383 of 6,607
Hey guys! I have recently joined the HD800 club. After owning a pair of HD650s, and listening to them at a Sennheiser store in Singapore, I couldn't resist (but my wallet certainly tried to).
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to say, everything you hear is absolutely clear. Sadly, I will never be able to listen to any iTunes "high" quality songs again
frown.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #3,384 of 6,607

Quote:
I have to say, everything you hear is absolutely clear. Sadly, I will never be able to listen to any iTunes "high" quality songs again
frown.gif

It's not the bitrate that's the problem, it's the original source. Poor quality recording studios with bad acoustics, and so fourth. The HD800 reveals them all.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,386 of 6,607

Quote:
lost the English manual that came with it. what does it says about cleaning the HD800? Or should I just get some dry soft cloth and clean it gently...?

Only one phrase about cleaning: "To clean the dust guard, remove the guard and try to avoid touching the transducer underneath. Clean the guard under running warm water."
I clean earpads gently with a little bit wet towel and my HD800 are like new by now.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #3,387 of 6,607

Quote:
Only one phrase about cleaning: "To clean the dust guard, remove the guard and try to avoid touching the transducer underneath. Clean the guard under running warm water."
I clean earpads gently with a little bit wet towel and my HD800 are like new by now.

The earpad and headband is very annoying; seems like a magnet for dust. I use a lint roller to clean it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #3,388 of 6,607

Quote:

You'd think that would be true.

However, I have a Klipsch S4 and the Creative 630 - and both sound fine with an iPod Touch - but there's considerably more clarity from the HD800. The treble detail is finer, bass is richer; the HD800 kicks it out of the park. I even used the iPod Touch to compare the K701 and HD800; a surprising difference, the HD800 with much greater body and dimension. 

I imagine my reaction would be different if my IEM was more expensive, but I'm not an IEM kind of guy. I'm just surprised how great the HD800 sounds on a variety of sources - even though I nearly always listen amped.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,389 of 6,607
I wasn't implying bad IEMs.  
tongue_smile.gif
  I'd take my $110 B2 or $80 Sunrise Xcape (original, discontinued) straight from your average DAP anyday.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3,390 of 6,607
Quote:
It's not the bitrate that's the problem, it's the original source. Poor quality recording studios with bad acoustics, and so fourth. The HD800 reveals them all.

Yep.  Mixing and recording is way more important than bitrate if you're using any modern encoder.

OTOH with something like iTunes you're at the mercy of whatever messed up settings they might have used when they encoded them since its still possible to screw things up if you try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back