Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #3,391 of 6,607

Quote:
I am still mulling over options to compliment the HD800 with a more "fun" sound for trance, j-pop, etc.

I find that the LCD-2 rev.1 is the perfect Yin to the HD800's Yang 
beerchug.gif

They are truly complementary opposites. The HD 800 is glorious soundstage and detail, while the rev.1 is all about intimacy and warmth. If the HD 800 becomes too revealing of certain recordings then the Audeze is the perfect antidote. If the rev.1 becomes too thick and dark the HD 800 will wake you right up with its crisp, precise imaging.

Quote:
2 days in and it's official; I love this headphone. I've been through the gamut of genres in my library and have found the HD800 to be excellent at the very least. For well recorded live music and orchestral soundtracks it is superb. Nirvana's Unplugged in New York pretty much sealed the deal. I've never heard such transparency, and this is just from the lowly, detail smothering Lyr. The speed, precision and imaging of the HD800 is so impressive. The dynamics and layering help to convey the involving and enveloping presentation I was afraid would be compromised by a treble tilted headphone.

I've rolled through my 3 favourite pairs of tubes (Amperex Orange Globes, Bugle Boys and Lorenz Stuttgart) and have found the HD800 to accentuate the differences between them more than the LCD-2. The mid range body of the Amperex tubes are a very good match for the HD800. The Orange Globes have the more involving sound to my ears (fatter low end), but it's less refined than the other pairs and there's a slight dryness in the upper registers. Ambience and imaging is very good through the Stuttgart tubes but there's a slight veil in the vocals. The Bugle Boys on the other hand are just right. Good balance, dynamics and imaging, with a more extended but smoother top end and very well defined vocals.

I honestly did not expect the HD800 to be this good. I can only imagine what it would sound like through better components.

The Bifrost/Lyr does seem to be a very good value combo for the HD 800 from everything I've read.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3,392 of 6,607
The Lyr/Bifrost combo is generally mentioned as a good, value system for the LCD-2, but I'm finding it to have better synergy with the HD800. If I didn't have issues with either component (noisy pot on the Lyr, and sync issues with the Bifrost), I could happily live with this system with the HD800.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,394 of 6,607
So I have a question for you HD800 owners. What's a good complement to have next to the HD800? I have a pair of Magnums which I will keep as well as when I get the HD800. However I am going to sell my HD650 and modded T50RP (maybe) but wondering what would be a good complement. Something similar to the HD650 would be nice but I don't want the LCD2 due to weight and yes I've tried it as heavy headphones no matter how good is not something I will get on board with. I was looking at the T1 but think it may not be different enough although I did like the DT880 quite a bit. The D7000 was another option but I wasn't a fan of the lower Denons in the D2000 and D5000 and don't want any Grados. Ultrasones are not an optione either. Any idea on what other options are there?

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3,395 of 6,607
Thunderpants or maybe TH900 would be my leading candidates at the moment.

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #3,396 of 6,607
If you want something good for it's price (and not as pricy as the th900...lol), I'd recommend the HE500's. I sure as hell am happy with HD800/HE500 combo

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3,398 of 6,607
New owner of the HD800. All I can say is wow, what an excellent headphone.
Listening to Julianna Barwick's Magic Place album and getting goose bumps. I've listened to this album before with various headphones, but never has it moved me this much. Detail and depth are way beyond what I've heard before.
Granted I also just modified my dac and amp, Minimax and the Schiit Lyr. The Lry has an ebay'd pair of Amperex Bugle Boy O Getter tubes.

Great sound all around. Who says that the HD800 is lacking on the LYR, not to my ears!

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3,399 of 6,607

Quote:
Yep.  Mixing and recording is way more important than bitrate if you're using any modern encoder.

Heck, any Michael Jackson song even in 192kps will beat the FLACs of most anime music in SQ. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3,400 of 6,607

Hi Carlsan,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new HD 800 cans. I just got mine and I am enjoying them as well. I was thinking about getting a Moon Audio Black Dragon V2 cable but the HD 800 sounds fine with the stock cable so far. It could be that my current configuration (Rega Apollo-R CD Player > Ray Samuels Audio Emelline "The Raptor" Tubed Headphone Amp) tames the treble a bit. I am not sure. I am waiting on my Frequency Response Graph from Sennheiser to see what it looks like. I have heard that those Amperex Bugle Boy O Getter tubes sound great. My Raptor currently has an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7A input tube from New Sensor and two Tung-Sol 5687 driver tubes from TubeDepot.com. Great sound.

Happy listening,
vo_obgyn

Quote:
New owner of the HD800. All I can say is wow, what an excellent headphone.
Listening to Julianna Barwick's Magic Place album and getting goose bumps. I've listened to this album before with various headphones, but never has it moved me this much. Detail and depth are way beyond what I've heard before.
Granted I also just modified my dac and amp, Minimax and the Schiit Lyr. The Lry has an ebay'd pair of Amperex Bugle Boy O Getter tubes.

Great sound all around. Who says that the HD800 is lacking on the LYR, not to my ears!

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3,401 of 6,607

Quote:
So I have a question for you HD800 owners. What's a good complement to have next to the HD800? I have a pair of Magnums which I will keep as well as when I get the HD800. However I am going to sell my HD650 and modded T50RP (maybe) but wondering what would be a good complement. Something similar to the HD650 would be nice but I don't want the LCD2 due to weight and yes I've tried it as heavy headphones no matter how good is not something I will get on board with. I was looking at the T1 but think it may not be different enough although I did like the DT880 quite a bit. The D7000 was another option but I wasn't a fan of the lower Denons in the D2000 and D5000 and don't want any Grados. Ultrasones are not an optione either. Any idea on what other options are there?

I would get the ATH-W3000ANV. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,402 of 6,607

Quote:

No one said that, I think. Both the Asgard and Lyr are known to drive the HD800 fine.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #3,403 of 6,607
As an LCD-2 rev.2 owner, I've been tweaking the sound recently using a parametric EQ to make the frequency response more neutral, and with some very pleasing results. Yesterday, as part of my Easter holidays in Germany, I had the opportunity to pass a couple of hours with the HD 800 and willingly did so. Basically, I was very, very impressed by what I heard and even considered replacing my LCD-2 with the HD 800. Never thought I'd type that...

The clarity of the HD 800 was like crystal - albeit one that reflected a slightly uncomfortable shiny glare - and the timbre of the instruments on the recordings I played (a selection of CDs of various quality ranging from bebop to pop/rock) was the clearest I can ever recall hear music sounding through any headphone. The last time I heard the HD 800 it sounded too trebly and lacking in bass weight, and whilst a few hours ago it still sounded a little sibilant in the treble region but still very neutral sounding, the bass really impressed me. The quality of the recordings I played was very evident in that respect - an old CD of Led Zep II had plentiful top end presence though sounded lacking in definition in the lower bass region, but with newer recordings such as Steely Dan's 'Two Against Nature' and Clapton/Winwood 'Live at Madison Square Garden' the HD 800 It seemed to have much more low end bass depth and definition than I previously identified, probably a result of being distracted by the prominent treble. 

Something else I heard with the HD800 today but didn't really appreciate the last time I heard it was the sonic pressure it presents recordings with. I think that the impact of the LCD-2, which I'm used to, is largely influenced by the sonic pressure it implements, which can be intense and weighty at times. The HD 800 seemed to have more sonic clarity with less sonic pressure, which - in combination with the fantastic soundstage performance - seemed to make it easier for me to sit back and listen to the whole picture of the music being played through it without the sound being too intense. I also loved the clarity of the lead vocal with the HD 800 as well the clear instrument separation. 

It seems obvious that high quality recordings are an important factor in getting the most out of the HD 800. That said, the HD 800 seems the kind of headphone that reveals any recording clearly, so it can also be said that the highly revealing qualities of the HD 800 definitely get the most out of your recordings (if a revealing listen is your thing).

When I got back to the UK and tried my LCD-2 again (fed by lossless files and a Lavry DA10) it seemed evident that the clarity was not quite in the same league as the HD 800. The LCD-2 is a different-sounding headphone and still very enjoyable, much more so with EQing (more on my experiments in that regard here), but after yesterday I'm again impressed with the HD 800 and may do a side-by-side comparison of the two headphones soon. Right now I'm very much enjoying the rev.2 and enjoying typing this; we'll see what happens. :)

Much respect to all of the headphones cited in this post!

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3,404 of 6,607
Apr 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #3,405 of 6,607
I too have been using Audio Hijack Pro with a bunch of plug-ins to tame the 6-8K peak AND pull up the upper mid range slightly. And boost the bass etc.  It works remarkably well depending upon which plug-ins are used etc.  I have also placed a white noise/swept freq generator at the front end and a spectrum analyzer at the rear end, along with level balancing (clipping detectors) to help tailor the eq curves in real time, all switchable in or out as needed.

This works remarkably well and along with the Analxius mod really brings out the inner details all the more.  Being able to hear more of the spatial qualities of the music, let alone hear more of each instrument's full harmonic structure is really a treat.  These headphones WILL deliver amazing details all dependent upon ALL of the upstream equipment and source files.

My next step is to start using a multi channel non-symmetric parametric EQ plug-in instead of strictly symmetirc EQ.  That should help a whole bunch more…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back