Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Apr 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #3,407 of 6,607

Quote:
New owner of the HD800. All I can say is wow, what an excellent headphone.
Listening to Julianna Barwick's Magic Place album and getting goose bumps. I've listened to this album before with various headphones, but never has it moved me this much. Detail and depth are way beyond what I've heard before.
Granted I also just modified my dac and amp, Minimax and the Schiit Lyr. The Lry has an ebay'd pair of Amperex Bugle Boy O Getter tubes.

Great sound all around. Who says that the HD800 is lacking on the LYR, not to my ears!

This is the magic component in my chain as well. There isn't a glaring flaw in what I'm hearing, just the music coming through in great detail. Dynamic, enveloping, precise and utterly convincing.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3,408 of 6,607
Quote:
Something else I heard with the HD800 today but didn't really appreciate the last time I heard it was the sonic pressure it presents recordings with. I think that the impact of the LCD-2, which I'm used to, is largely influenced by the sonic pressure it implements, which can be intense and weighty at times. The HD 800 seemed to have more sonic clarity with less sonic pressure, which - in combination with the fantastic soundstage performance - seemed to make it easier for me to sit back and listen to the whole picture of the music being played through it without the sound being too intense.

That identifies what I perceive as ringing.  Or at least is a part of it.  And I completely agree.  Thankfully since I gave the HD800's back to T-Money I've noticed less ringing on my LCD-2s.  

The key to reducing ringing on the LCD-2s is put the HD800s back wherever you got them.  
smile.gif

I also figure the vegan pads might alleviate it, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #3,409 of 6,607
Quote:
This is the magic component in my chain as well. There isn't a glaring flaw in what I'm hearing, just the music coming through in great detail. Dynamic, enveloping, precise and utterly convincing.

Cool, good to hear you're able to extract that kind of performance out of the Lyr.  I have heard tube-rolled Lyrs before, but never with anything particularly synergistic or esoteric (like those $300 Mullards some raved about a while ago).

By the way, I'm auditioning an AP2 and Wavelink next couple weeks, will let you know how it turns out.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3,410 of 6,607
Quote:
Quote:

That identifies what I perceive as ringing.  Or at least is a part of it.  And I completely agree.  Thankfully since I gave the HD800's back to T-Money I've noticed less ringing on my LCD-2s.  

The key to reducing ringing on the LCD-2s is put the HD800s back wherever you got them.  
smile.gif

I also figure the vegan pads might alleviate it, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

I agree completely. When I listened with the LCD-2 again last night it first seemed a bit too boomy, but after an hour or so the boominess was less apparent and didn't bother me. It seems that we notice the pros/cons of things more when we compare them to other things and less when we don't; it like when we accept ourselves as we are and immerse ourselves in the moment, everything is perfectly fine as it is (including our headphones).

As it is, I'm perfectly happy with the LCD-2 sound especially when it is EQ'd to flat/neutral. Doing so has really tamed the boominess of the LCD-2 for me.

Thanks for the reminder about the vegan pads; I'll read up on them now. :)

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #3,411 of 6,607

Quote:
Quote:

Cool, good to hear you're able to extract that kind of performance out of the Lyr.  I have heard tube-rolled Lyrs before, but never with anything particularly synergistic or esoteric (like those $300 Mullards some raved about a while ago).

By the way, I'm auditioning an AP2 and Wavelink next couple weeks, will let you know how it turns out.

What source were you using  with the Lyr?
Most use the Bifrost these days, but I would gather to think that the Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac gives a better and more open sound. Something that the hd800 would eat up like candy. That fed into the LYR may be one of the differences that has some listeners feeling as if the Lyr is lacking with the hd800's, not the tubes or the amp, but the dac.  Granted, I haven't heard the Bifrost.    Just my thoughts...

Then again, just found a thread where the reviewer compared the two and found the Bifrost more neutral and the Minimax warmer. That certainly would help the HD800, as those are cans that could benefit from warmth, depending on your musical taste of course. As I said above, I'm quite happy with my chain.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3,412 of 6,607
Quote:
Most use the Bifrost these days, but I would gather to think that the Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac gives a better and more open sound. Something that the hd800 would eat up like candy. That fed into the LYR may be one of the differences that has some listeners feeling as if the Lyr is lacking with the hd800's, not the tubes or the amp, but the dac.  Granted, I haven't heard the Bifrost.    Just my thoughts...

Then again, just found a thread where the reviewer compared the two and found the Bifrost more neutral and the Minimax warmer. That certainly would help the HD800, as those are cans that could benefit from warmth, depending on your musical taste of course. As I said above, I'm quite happy with my chain.

Um, have heard a couple, Bifrost, PSDLIII, NFB-12.  I reckon Olor1n's right in his post a couple of pages back, perhaps most of the Lyr's detractors haven't spent enough time with it or haven't invested money in making it sound better.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #3,413 of 6,607
Can't remember who it was a couple of days ago that turned everybody onto the Silver Sharpie Paint Pen for scratch touch-up on the HD800...   but I just wanted to say thanks...
this morning I got a small scratch on mine and remembered the post...  went down to the hobby store and purchased the Paint Pen..  the color is a perfect match...  can't even
tell where I put it....  thanks again for the solution...

I couldn't find the Silver only... they only had a package that had a silver and a gold pen in the pack...  in case anyone needs this for fixing a scratch the one I got is the Sharpie 30588

its a oil based paint..

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Markers-Silver-Marker/dp/B000I0VMJU

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3,415 of 6,607

Quote:
Can't remember who it was a couple of days ago that turned everybody onto the Silver Sharpie Paint Pen for scratch touch-up on the HD800...   but I just wanted to say thanks...
this morning I got a small scratch on mine and remembered the post...  went down to the hobby store and purchased the Paint Pen..  the color is a perfect match...  can't even
tell where I put it....  thanks again for the solution...

I couldn't find the Silver only... they only had a package that had a silver and a gold pen in the pack...  in case anyone needs this for fixing a scratch the one I got is the Sharpie 30588

its a oil based paint..

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Markers-Silver-Marker/dp/B000I0VMJU

Thanks for the tip :)

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #3,416 of 6,607

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Uh, the Bifrost is a fine dac. Why comment that the Minimax would give a more open sound if you've not compared the two? As good as the Lyr is with the Bugles in place, I don't doubt it's the bottleneck in my chain.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #3,417 of 6,607
I missed what Anax posted initially, but my comment about the Lyr's detractors wasn't aimed at him specifically. I never intended to imply the Lyr could match it with the big boys (haven't heard them), just that for me, when dialled in, it's very good and much better than what some posts seem to suggest.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3,418 of 6,607

Quote:
I missed what Anax posted initially, but my comment about the Lyr's detractors wasn't aimed at him specifically. I never intended to imply the Lyr could match it with the big boys (haven't heard them), just that for me, when dialled in, it's very good and much better than what some posts seem to suggest.

It's basically the same post, I think sphinxvc can attest.  We are all on the same page I think, I just wanted to clarify my comments on the Lyr.  I think some of my comments and others sometimes might often come off as extreme and absolute when others might find them minor and not worth pursuing based on their preferences so I was just hoping to recenter the dialogue a bit.

Quote:

Um, have heard a couple, Bifrost, PSDLIII, NFB-12.  I reckon Olor1n's right in his post a couple of pages back, perhaps most of the Lyr's detractors haven't spent enough time with it or haven't invested money in making it sound better.

Let's put this in perspective a bit.  I guess some might consider my remarks and others to be detractions on the Lyr.  Nobody is saying the Lyr is god awful and will turn your HD800 into a $10 Skullcandy.  Some of us have been lucky enough to hear the 800 scale w/ things like the Balancing Act, Apek Pinnacle, Manley 300B, etc, etc.  If someone feels the Lyr equals those in transparency and performance feel free to share.  I think there are valid technical reasons Schiit is releasing midrange and statement amps.  Jason knows he can push the performance envelope further and I'm sure he has before at his old job.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back