Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Feb 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,926 of 6,607
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why are the hd600s more preferable to these things?

Because they are much cheaper, much easier to drive and much more forgiving.

Which is basically saying the HD600 is not preferable to the HD800 because they exist at different levels. Apples, oranges, yada, yada, yada. Otoh when I finally listened to the HD800, my first thought was HD600. 

The HD600 is my favorite headphone directly out of my DAC's integrated headamp and I do prefer it to the HD800 in that application. But when I feed my WA22 from that DAC the HD800 kicks its @ss completely, no contest at all. Of course the difference is amplified by going balanced in/out of the WA22, but when I use my HD600 with a balanced cable out of the WA22 it still doesn't come close to the HD800 in performance.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #2,927 of 6,607
Speaking of the m903... Grace Design doing so well they've outgrown their Boulder manufacturing facility.

http://www.dailycamera.com/business/ci_20057493

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #2,928 of 6,607

Quote:
The HD600 is my favorite headphone directly out of my DAC's integrated headamp and I do prefer it to the HD800 in that application. But when I feed my WA22 from that DAC the HD800 kicks its @ss completely, no contest at all. Of course the difference is amplified by going balanced in/out of the WA22, but when I use my HD600 with a balanced cable out of the WA22 it still doesn't come close to the HD800 in performance.

I sold my HD600 within days of receiving the HD800, and am not contemplating another headphone. Having the one main hp is great, and it simplifies the process of my (hopefully last) end-of-the-line full system upgrade.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2,929 of 6,607
I hear you and find that approach to be commendable. But I could never sell my HD600s. The fact that they sound so good straight out of my DAC serves to rationalize this quite conveniently, as sometimes I just want to listen to something quickly without waiting for the Woo's tubes to warm up. They also sound great out of my (edit: amplified) portable rigs.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2,930 of 6,607

Quote:
I hear you and find that approach to be commendable. But I could never sell my HD600s. The fact that they sound so good straight out of my DAC serves to rationalize this quite conveinently, as sometimes I just want to listen to something quickly without waiting for the Woo's tubes to warm up. They also sound great out of my portable rigs.

Everyone should have an HD600 laying around as a reference point to compare other phones to, even if not your primary phone.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #2,931 of 6,607

Quote:
 But I could never sell my HD600s. 

Me either. I adore my 800's but am always surprised how good the 600's sound fed by my ipod. Sometimes makes me wonder why I bother with the big rig, until I turn it on and say, oh. Right.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2,932 of 6,607

Quote:

Quote:
 But I could never sell my HD600s. 

Me either. I adore my 800's but am always surprised how good the 600's sound fed by my ipod. Sometimes makes me wonder why I bother with the big rig, until I turn it on and say, oh. Right.

biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2,933 of 6,607
I might be getting HD800s in 2 days..
I bought HD-25s last month, but didn't really enjoy how they felt, they had really amazing sound quality nonetheless! But the sound felt "caged" and hammered into my ears
Though the "best" headphones I've tried to date were HD-25s and Shure SE530s IEM (got to test the shures for just half an hour). Currently I own HD212pro which are getting in bad shape now (frayed cord)
I've never heard open eared headphones before.. but I loved how Shure IEMs created that musical space as if you've been teleported to a different realm.

But, can anyone please tell me if I should really go for the 800s or settle for something else? How much of improvement will I hear considering I get a decent tube amp for now?

I just love it when music surrounds you and makes you feel like you're in a completely different world.
I deeply admire Solar Fields, Amon Tobin, anything classical, theatrical music from movies, games (eg. splinter cell chaos theory), love watching nature documentaries like Planet Earth.

I'm willing to spend the money since I pretty much saved it for past 2 - 3 months just for the headphones.
As far as the amp goes, my goal is to get the wa22 in about 5 - 6 months.

For now I'm deciding to take the headphones along with me to vacation in India (Himalayas)

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #2,934 of 6,607
I think that the HD800 matches up really well with the WA22; to take full advantage you will want to have a balanced source and balanced headphone cable.

More here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/woo.htm

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #2,936 of 6,607
Nope.

Quote:
If you want musicality out of the HD 800, go with tubes no doubt. HD 800 with solid state can sound very, very precise and articulate but lacking in body and warmth. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,938 of 6,607
Ok, I'm in a dilemma now.
Since I'll be on vacation on the go (in mountains), I have two options

Either I
1. Stick with getting HD800 and buy a portable amp for <$500 for now
2. Or get the Shure SE535 instead

I will be getting the wa22 for HD800 after I come back anyways..

But as far quality goes, would an HD800 on a portable amp sound better or worse than the Shure SE530?
I'm not worried about the open ear vs IEM, or sound leakage problems.

My source would be Cowon S9, and macbook pro

If I get the Shures now, I probably wouldn't wanna keep them after I get HD800s later on.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,939 of 6,607

Quote:
Ok, I'm in a dilemma now.
Since I'll be on vacation on the go (in mountains), I have two options

Either I
1. Stick with getting HD800 and buy a portable amp for <$500 for now
2. Or get the Shure SE535 instead

I will be getting the wa22 for HD800 after I come back anyways..

But as far quality goes, would an HD800 on a portable amp sound better or worse than the Shure SE530?
I'm not worried about the open ear vs IEM, or sound leakage problems.

My source would be Cowon S9, and macbook pro

If I get the Shures now, I probably wouldn't wanna keep them after I get HD800s later on.

I would get IEMs.  Even if you could get the sound to your liking portably w/ the 800s its a lot more work to lug around, box/unbox, worry about scratches and nicks.  Plus you'll be draining your batteries a lot faster driving the 800.  Wearing a 800 while moving out and about is just unthinkable really.  IEMs.  Plus listening to the 800 on the airplane will result in someone punching you in the face or you not listening at all.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #2,940 of 6,607

Quote:
I would get IEMs.  Even if you could get the sound to your liking portably w/ the 800s its a lot more work to lug around, box/unbox, worry about scratches and nicks.  Plus you'll be draining your batteries a lot faster driving the 800.  Wearing a 800 while moving out and about is just unthinkable really.  IEMs.  Plus listening to the 800 on the airplane will result in someone punching you in the face or you not listening at all.

LOL yeah makes sense.
But I'm not even gonna take them out in public or let anyone see them in public.. the lugging around, worrying about the scratches isn't the problem either. Only time I'll listen to them is while in the car (while my friend is driving ofcourse), or while sitting down at some remote quiet peaceful place out in nature.
I just wanna know which of them would provide me the best experience while im up there enjoying the grand view in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back