Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Mar 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,941 of 6,607
This is a kind of interesting topic because I'm curious what other HD800 owners use for a portable headphone. I'd like to get a portable headphone at some point since the HD800 obviously doesn't work so well for that, and I'm not really sure what would be best. Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii seems a popular choice but I wonder what other good closed headphones there are.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,942 of 6,607
While there are undoubtedly a few headphones more unsuited to traveling, the 800's certainly belong to that group.

I mean risking damaging $1500 headphones (unless you've got $$$$$$$$) looks like an expensive lesson learned the hard way to me.

A portable setup while perhaps not as hi-end (depending upon $$$$ of course) will be WAY easier to lug around, and not be subject to physical damage etc.

Yeah IEM's or headphones designed to fold flat for portability would be where I'd look if an 'on the go' system were called for.

JJ

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #2,943 of 6,607

Quote:
This is a kind of interesting topic because I'm curious what other HD800 owners use for a portable headphone. I'd like to get a portable headphone at some point since the HD800 obviously doesn't work so well for that, and I'm not really sure what would be best. Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii seems a popular choice but I wonder what other good closed headphones there are.

UERM or ES5 for me.  The whole portable headphone concept never really seemed to work out for me.  Too much of a jack of all trades, master of none sort of deal.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2,944 of 6,607
The problem with me I guess is I don't like sticking things in my ears, so anything in-ear doesn't work for me because I refuse to stick it in my ear. I guess that pretty much narrows my choices to mid-fi "portable" over-ear or on-ear headphones :/

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #2,945 of 6,607
There are a few people around her who I've seen with hardcases and foam with cutouts for a  small-ish but AC powered DAC/amp combo and a pair of full size headphones.  Something like a CEntrance DACmini and an HD800 in a Pelican case.

You won't use it while walking around or anything but you can toss it in the trunk and drive up to your mountain cabin or something and not have worry about anything getting broken.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2,946 of 6,607
Running the HD 800 out of my MF M1HPA (with built in DAC) I feel that the bass is simply way too light and sub-bass is close to non-existant. The sound is clean but very dry and no bottom. I know it can get much better, but what do you guys think I should do next? Upgrade to a somewhat bass-heavy and smooth external DAC and/or switch headphone cable? 

Any suggestions appreciated. 

(except for EQ, I will never...)

I should also add that I am not a basshead, I just want a full and natural sound. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2,949 of 6,607

Quote:
Aight :) Are you sure it's the dac that makes the sound so specifically dull, dry and light? 

I've ran the HD 800 out of my Benchmark Dac1 USB and while it did sound somewhat unengaging, it was excellent technically.  The resolution, separation, and soundstage were excellent and there was no shortage of bass as you report from your combo.  Perhaps both the amp and DAC have a part in what you're hearing.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2,950 of 6,607

Quote:
Running the HD 800 out of my MF M1HPA (with built in DAC) I feel that the bass is simply way too light and sub-bass is close to non-existant. The sound is clean but very dry and no bottom. I know it can get much better, but what do you guys think I should do next? Upgrade to a somewhat bass-heavy and smooth external DAC and/or switch headphone cable? 

Any suggestions appreciated. 

(except for EQ, I will never...)

I should also add that I am not a basshead, I just want a full and natural sound. 

The HD 800 does go extremely low - 14Hz is the -3dB point and down to 6Hz at the -10dB point.

But it is a natural and realistic bass and is not hyped - so, if the bass is not in the recording...........

The HD 800 will not give you bass that is not there originally - unlike some others that deliberately hype the bass.

If you are used to headphones that sex-up the bass a bit, the HD 800 will initially sound "lacking" in this area.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #2,951 of 6,607

Quote:
The HD 800 does go extremely low - 14Hz is the -3dB point and down to 6Hz at the -10dB point.

But it is a natural and realistic bass and is not hyped - so, if the bass is not in the recording...........

The HD 800 will not give you bass that is not there originally - unlike some others that deliberately hype the bass.

If you are used to headphones that sex-up the bass a bit, the HD 800 will initially sound "lacking" in this area.

Yes, I know! The bass is very nice when you get it right and I absolutely respect the HD 800 for it's honesty. Sometimes thumping, overpowering bass can be fun but with the HD 800 I just want to listen to uncolored, pure music. 

I've lived with my pair for more than a year and I had to run it out of my stereo amp for a long time (absolutely no shortage of bass, though sound obviously wasn't high fidelity) and finally managed to audition some amps and I liked the M1HPA amp very much. Analogue, unforced sound. So I know it's a very good amp and a very, very good headphone - was just wondering what would be wisest to do next. :) 

Any DAC suggestions that would match nicely? The M1HPA is linear and neutral (just a tad warmth to the sound, which I like) and doesn't take away/add much to the presentation.

(This was an answer to Saintly aswell) 

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2,952 of 6,607

Quote:
Yes, I know! The bass is very nice when you get it right and I absolutely respect the HD 800 for it's honesty. Sometimes thumping, overpowering bass can be fun but with the HD 800 I just want to listen to uncolored, pure music. 

I've lived with my pair for more than a year and I had to run it out of my stereo amp for a long time (absolutely no shortage of bass, though sound obviously wasn't high fidelity) and finally managed to audition some amps and I liked the M1HPA amp very much. Analogue, unforced sound. So I know it's a very good amp and a very, very good headphone - was just wondering what would be wisest to do next. :) 

Any DAC suggestions that would match nicely? The M1HPA is linear and neutral (just a tad warmth to the sound, which I like) and doesn't take away/add much to the presentation.

(This was an answer to Saintly aswell) 

I don't have much experience with DACs as the only ones I've tried are the Fiio E7, HRT MS II, and then the Benchmark Dac1 USB.  Obviously, the latest one was a huge step up from the rest but from what I can tell, the Benchmark does have a very linear sound and the treble is not shelved down at all.  The HRT MS II had a nice touch of warmth.

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #2,953 of 6,607

Quote:

I don't have much experience with DACs as the only ones I've tried are the Fiio E7, HRT MS II, and then the Benchmark Dac1 USB.  Obviously, the latest one was a huge step up from the rest but from what I can tell, the Benchmark does have a very linear sound and the treble is not shelved down at all.  The HRT MS II had a nice touch of warmth.

Alright. But I was thinking higher end dacs, like the Bryston DAC, the Calyx 32/192 or the Naim DAC. I can audition the Naim but not the others... 

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,954 of 6,607
If you are thinking on a DAC at the price level of the Bryston I would look for a used PS Audio PerfectWave and then down the road buy the upgrade kit to raise it to MkII level. The MkI is good and will serve you well then later with the MkII you reach another level.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,955 of 6,607

Quote:

Alright. But I was thinking higher end dacs, like the Bryston DAC, the Calyx 32/192 or the Naim DAC. I can audition the Naim but not the others... 

I use mine with the Grace m903 (a recent upgrade from the m902b I have been using for the past few years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back