Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Mar 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #2,956 of 6,607
Running the HD 800 out of my MF M1HPA (with built in DAC) I feel that the bass is simply way too light and sub-bass is close to non-existant. The sound is clean but very dry and no bottom.

I have no experience with the MF M1HPA but the HD800s have an impedance spike around 100hz (up to over 600 ohms). Maybe, just maybe, the bass light sensation you are getting has to do with the amp not handling that spike as well as you like. It has been reported the HD800 is very picky and amps it doesn't match with give it a bass-lite response. Have you heard your pair with other amps?

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #2,957 of 6,607

I have no experience with the MF M1HPA but the HD800s have an impedance spike around 100hz (up to over 600 ohms). Maybe, just maybe, the bass light sensation you are getting has to do with the amp not handling that spike as well as you like. It has been reported the HD800 is very picky and amps it doesn't match with give it a bass-lite response. Have you heard your pair with other amps?

Only my stereo amp. From that amp my pair sounded almost bass heavy. Warm sound...

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2,960 of 6,607
I don't have much to reference against but i can recommend the combination of Audiolab M-DAC and Violectric V200 driving the HD800's.

Only had my 800's just over a week and i have to say wow what a fantastic sound i'm getting from them
bigsmile_face.gif

the bass goes very low but is very tight and punchy and the mids are smooth without being too forward and i think the V200 adds a lilttle warmth at the top end to keep the treble in check.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,961 of 6,607
I see that a lot of people really enjoy the V200 but I have to add my opinion.

The V200 has a constricted soundstage, lacks air and separation, and smears low-level details in intricate passages.  The most obvious example is that in symphonies, the individual instruments in each section of the orchestra cannot be distinguished from each other and instead, each section produces a wall of sound.

In A/B comparisons against the Dac1 USB's built-in amp, the V200 is clearly inferior technically.  It does have a more organic and pleasing tone though so I'm sure some will be open for a trade-off of some technicalities for the V200's tonality.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,962 of 6,607

Quote:

The V200 has a constricted soundstage, lacks air and separation, and smears low-level details in intricate passages.  The most obvious example is that in symphonies, the individual instruments in each section of the orchestra cannot be distinguished from each other and instead, each section produces a wall of sound.

In A/B comparisons against the Dac1 USB's built-in amp, the V200 is clearly inferior technically.  It does have a more organic and pleasing tone though so I'm sure some will be open for a trade-off of some technicalities for the V200's tonality.

I can't say I disagree.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,963 of 6,607
I think this amp works fine, it is significantly better than amps like Burson and Lehmann IMO. I also don't have the cash for a $2000 dollar DAC for now but I will save up for it. Just searching for some work...

I may very likely upgrade to something like the Zana Deux, Apex Peak or Wa22 later. As I understand it these pair very well with the HD 800s. But I want to get a good DAC first...

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2,965 of 6,607

Quote:
If you are thinking on a DAC at the price level of the Bryston I would look for a used PS Audio PerfectWave and then down the road buy the upgrade kit to raise it to MkII level. The MkI is good and will serve you well then later with the MkII you reach another level.

Agreed.

Quote:

x2

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #2,966 of 6,607

Quote:
I don't have much to reference against but i can recommend the combination of Audiolab M-DAC and Violectric V200 driving the HD800's.

Quote:
Will look into it! 

That M-DAC looks interesting, as well as the new Anedio D2. There's a couple of decent threads on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/568758/anedio-d2-dac-release
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527095/new-audiolab-dac

But if you're planning on the WA22, you might want to check into Woo's new WDS-2. They are offering a discount on it as it is still in pre-order status:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wds1.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/575940/wds-1-and-wtp-1-the-new-d-a-converter-and-cd-transport-from-woo-audio

I have the HD 800/WA22 as well, and I am looking into DAC upgrades myself. I will most likely will decide between Woo's WDS-1 and Schiit's yet to be announced balanced DACs as their Bifrost seems to be punching well above it's price class. One thing I like about these choices is I'm not paying for a built-in headamp that I would rarely if ever use.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2,967 of 6,607

Quote:
I think this amp works fine, it is significantly better than amps like Burson and Lehmann IMO. I also don't have the cash for a $2000 dollar DAC for now but I will save up for it. Just searching for some work...
I may very likely upgrade to something like the Zana Deux, Apex Peak or Wa22 later. As I understand it these pair very well with the HD 800s. But I want to get a good DAC first...

Have a look at the Grace m903 - it works very well with the HD 800 (I have been using the earlier m902b with my HD 800 for the last three years and upgraded to the new m903 last month - the combination works very well).

This is a market leader DAC coupled with what a professional engineer friend of mine described as "the best headphone amp in the world" - and you get selectable inputs, monitor controller and switchable cross-feed thrown in as well.
L3000.gif

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2,968 of 6,607
Well, I'm settling with Shure SE535 for now..
I figured it would be pointless spending $1500 on HD800s and then buying a cheap <$500 portable headphone amp (was thinking of headroom portable micro amp or NuForce HD)

I wonder if Shures would sound relatively better than the HD800 portable setup.

But either way, I always wanted somethin portable that can be used everyday.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #2,970 of 6,607
£807 is a great price if the site is legit.  That converts to ~$1,275 U.S.  Haven't seen them that low since Amazon briefly sold them new for $1200 in late 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back