Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #1,531 of 6,607
I'm not at all concerned about FOTM, as the results are really just too clear cut.

My latest revelations were from older material. Led Zeppelin III has always been my fave, and 'Gallows Pole' just jumped, especially the banjo, and the brutal balance. Always about the balance.

Then, off to what I though would be an innocuous 'Get the Knack', where 'Good Girls Don't', 'My Sharona', and 'Frustrated' just made me realize why I used to chase pre-CBS Strats (Now $10k+ EACH, and earlier than 1960 $25k). Never have I gotten the guitar and vocals seperation on that disc that makes me realize what a masterpiece that is, even today. The strats and vocals, energy and PRaT - perfectly melted together, like that perfect grilled cheese sandwich. Ultimate comfort food, with a little tingle in the tummy.

I will also say, even with the BH, I never got this from the he60 - there, I said it. Now to get the new stat amp running so I can let others hear the diff at a meet, so au revoir for now. It really is more about enjoying them now than talking about it.

Oh, and to whoever mentioned 'Axis: Bold as Love' great call - more pre-CBS strats. 'Castles Made of Sand' is calling.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,532 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, and to whoever mentioned 'Axis: Bold as Love' great call - more pre-CBS strats. 'Castles Made of Sand' is calling.

What does "pre-CBS" mean?

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #1,533 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallsroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "pre-CBS" mean?

Before CBS (as in CBS TV, coincidently my employer
biggrin.gif
) bought the company.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #1,534 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before CBS (as in CBS TV, coincidently my employer
biggrin.gif
) bought the company.

Thanks. I've seen a lot of different guitar references, but that was a new one for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #1,535 of 6,607
Any one listen to Robin Thicke "The Evolution of Robin Thicke"? Incredibly clear, great recording

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #1,536 of 6,607
Jun 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #1,539 of 6,607
Is anyone else smiling as much as I am when using them?
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #1,540 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn so many flaws,really wanted to get a pair,but now i'm not so sure anymore...

It seems that you are trying to give yourself a reason not to buy them.
smily_headphones1.gif
They aren't going to sound like the K1000. And for you, they may not beat the K1000, but I can honestly say they are extremely good.

The only flaw I can see is too much treble on around 10% of my music(which the K1000 is even brighter) and a lack of bass in comparison to phones like the L3000, Edition 9, HP1000 etc.

Every headphone has a flaw. I LOVED the L3000, but it lacked the clarity that the HD800 has. The K1000 is great, but has a horrendous bass rolloff and is a bit distant with the wings all the way out. The HP1000 sound amazing, yet like they need a cup of coffee to energize at times. The HE60 is reminiscent of the HD800, yet with less bass and thus a less complete sound. List goes on and on.

We will never find perfection unfortunately(although the R10 may be it, I have never heard it and cannot bring myself to spend that much, wish I could!).

My point is that you shouldn't discount them until you hear them. If you buy them and they are too bright, then they aren't for you. If you crave more bass(which I suspect you won't since you are already accustomed to the K1000), then send them back. But, look at my sig. Out of all of those cans, these are indeed, without a doubt, the most complete.

Dammit...I sound like a damn fanboy right now...I can't help it. They are that good.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #1,541 of 6,607
Yeah! Actually not smiling so much as relaxing bliss on most of what I'm listening to.

While these are clearly awesome cans, and I'm really digging on them, I'm not convinced they are the best headphone for me yet (I absolutely adore the Stax 4070s once they are properly EQ'd - and I will temper that statement with the observation that the fact the 4070s need to be EQ'd is a flaw IMHO, but one I can work around, and I just love listening to them).

I need more listening time with the 800s, and to try some tube amps too. These are very picky about the amp, the first few I tried them with (admittedly, amps that seem to work best with low impedance headphones) did not work well, the 800s were dull and boomy. With the Benchmark DAC1, they are fantastic, though - none of those ill effects, very delicious, bass is clean and punchy, vocals are exquisite.

BTW, these headphones are extremely sensitive to the source material, more than anything else I've had. In general, most of the top tier cans are extremely detailed and present a fairly good representation of the frequency balance on recordings. The 800s though, are incredible in this regard - some recordings have tons of bass, some are punchy, some are rich, some are super bright - they really convey what is on the source. Fantastic amount of detail too.

My reservations so far are that I tend to need to crank them up to get the richness and vividness I crave from them, and they don't like overly compressed rock. A different amp might change both of those, and truth be told all the top tier cans I've heard tend to weep bitter tears when exposed to overly compressed rock music.

I also haven't done a head to head with my other headphones because I want to relax and enjoy these for a few weeks, and I actually hate comparing gear - I'd rather be listening to music than trying to spot the differences between different equipment. That said, I will start alternating evenings between these, 4070s, and AKG K1000s (once I get the AKGs back, they are on loan - or more accurately, a friend is doing me a favor while I'm between living spaces storing some of my gear).

In any case, I am digging these tremendously, and they are super comfortable, and if I didn't have those other two headphones, I wouldn't be looking for anything else after spending a few weeks with the 800s.

-- Gordie

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone else smiling as much as I am when using them?
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #1,543 of 6,607
+1. Excellent comments.

The HP2s definitely need some java in their veins! Great observation.

BTW, the phones you cite as having more bass have more than I typically like, so the Senn balance could also be a matter of taste, and/or what you're used to - I listened to Grado HP2s for a long time and everything else sounded bass light, but after I got used to the K1000s and then Stax 4070s, I preferred the more balanced phones without as much bass as the real bottom octave champions. To be fair, though, I do EQ the bass on the 4070s at +2dB at ~60Hz and +1 at ~125 (and cut it by ~1.5dB at 4 and 8k). I don't EQ any of my other headphones at all.

On that note, check out the cut "Whole Lotta Love" from the Dread Zeppelin album Dejah-Voodoo: Greatest & Latest Hits (note this is a different cut than Whole Lotta Love from Un-led-ed. That one floors me with the bass response of the 800s!

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
They aren't going to sound like the K1000. And for you, they may not beat the K1000, but I can honestly say they are extremely good.

The only flaw I can see is too much treble on around 10% of my music(which the K1000 is even brighter) and a lack of bass in comparison to phones like the L3000, Edition 9, HP1000 etc.

Every headphone has a flaw. I LOVED the L3000, but it lacked the clarity that the HD800 has. The K1000 is great, but has a horrendous bass rolloff and is a bit distant with the wings all the way out. The HP1000 sound amazing, yet like they need a cup of coffee to energize at times. The HE60 is reminiscent of the HD800, yet with less bass and thus a less complete sound. List goes on and on.

We will never find perfection unfortunately(although the R10 may be it, I have never heard it and cannot bring myself to spend that much, wish I could!).

My point is that you shouldn't discount them until you hear them. If you buy them and they are too bright, then they aren't for you. If you crave more bass(which I suspect you won't since you are already accustomed to the K1000), then send them back. But, look at my sig. Out of all of those cans, these are indeed, without a doubt, the most complete.

Dammit...I sound like a damn fanboy right now...I can't help it. They are that good.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #1,545 of 6,607
Hehe,you just made me reconsider them, and my wallet will suffer because of you
happy_face1.gif

it's just that 1400$ is a TON of money for me,and i am kind of affraid to buy them and regret it...
but i hope to audition them sometime,i am sure i'll like them,i have a gut feeling about it.

btw,did anyone try them with a receiver or a T-amp?i'm looking for a cheap way to drive them,sorry if it's off topic..

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back