Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #781 of 6,607
Yes, the impressions are starting to make sense now
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #782 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a bit surprised though, especially since the HD800 was touted as the Second Coming, that a couple of people of have commented on the HD800 not sounding its best with solid state amplifiers. Could this be an engineering flaw?

This could be the combination of a very detailed, neutral phone coupled with a preference on the part of those listeners to a certain type of sonic coloration that tracks closely to the sound of tubes. In light of the detail available from hte 800 (a characteristic that so far is described in almost all of the comments here), that missing coloration may come across as a flat or lifeless frequency signature, best corrected by adding tubes into the chain.

Every listener brings a bias and expectation to the audition of any new piece of gear. This alleged incompatibility of the 800 with solid state amplifiers (not a universally described characteristic in this thread so far, if you read back through the comments from those who have auditioned the phone) may be a result of listener preferences and not an engineering or design flaw. Time, and more listener opinions, and most of all, direct experience will tell.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #783 of 6,607
Quote:

This is great. After 5,000 or so posts about the HD800 it is so nice to start reading sober and balanced opinions of the HD800 without all the hyperbole. I will be looking forward, like everyone else here, to reading more about the HD800. I am a bit surprised though, especially since the HD800 was touted as the Second Coming, that a couple of people of have commented on the HD800 not sounding its best with solid state amplifiers. Could this be an engineering flaw? With all the money and years of research that went into this headphone, I would've assumed that Sennheiser would have addressed this issue. Maybe, like others have stated, the HD800 just needs more burn-in. Is it possible that Sennheiser changed something in the HD800 after its initial prototype release? Maybe the HD800 that Jude and Tyll tested is different is some way from the actual production model. It could explain why we have all waited so long.

Oh please...

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #784 of 6,607
I really don't understand the folks saying HD800 needs tube amps. I thought it was great with SS amps. In fact, my favorite pairings were HD800 with Headroom BUDA and Ultra Desktop...

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #785 of 6,607
Take people's opinions with a grain of salt. When the HD800 was first showcased they use the headphone output of a DAC1. And now they are being showcased with the M902. Yes Sennheiser wants to showcase their best, possibly world's best dynamic headphone to date, with the first headphone drivers of it's kind with solid state, because it sounds bad.

THIS IS HEAD-FI. ALMOST PURELY JUST OPINIONS! Fun to read though huh?

I have not heard them, but based on what I have read from the few impressions of posters I trust... HD800 reflect the source and amplifier directly. They do not add coloration and some of these Solid State Amps are the same, not much coloration. And these people frankly WANT and ONLY like colored sound. They need the added coloration of tubes and warmth. It's why we been reading some people prefer the D7000 to the HD800 and frankly, I don't think there are many expensive headphones that add more coloration than Denons.

I mean c'mon right now the hot topic are Grado headphones. And some of the HD800 listeners love the colored sound of their GS1K or RS1, and it's what they are accustomed to. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but I do not think Sennheiser made the HD800 for fans of the Grado coloration, rather the COMPLETE opposite.

The only people I've read liking the HD800 who are Grado fans to me from the other posts, they just flat out like all kinds of headphones and are not hardcore fanboys of a particular sound. They are able to appreciate what the HD800 offers and what their other headphones offer.

Quote:

This is great. After 5,000 or so posts about the HD800 it is so nice to start reading sober and balanced opinions of the HD800 without all the hyperbole. I will be looking forward, like everyone else here, to reading more about the HD800. I am a bit surprised though, especially since the HD800 was touted as the Second Coming, that a couple of people of have commented on the HD800 not sounding its best with solid state amplifiers. Could this be an engineering flaw? With all the money and years of research that went into this headphone, I would've assumed that Sennheiser would have addressed this issue. Maybe, like others have stated, the HD800 just needs more burn-in. Is it possible that Sennheiser changed something in the HD800 after its initial prototype release? Maybe the HD800 that Jude and Tyll tested is different is some way from the actual production model. It could explain why we have all waited so long.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #786 of 6,607
For the price, there should be a sonic revelation. The design is interesting and I am looking forward to more seasoned reviews. Those with no interest in selling them with experience in the hps they supposedly are peer to, like stats.

I hope they are as good as advertised and I understand the value is in the ears of the listener.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #787 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take people's opinions with a grain of salt. When the HD800 was first showcased they use the headphone output of a DAC1. And now they are being showcased with the M902. Yes Sennheiser wants to showcase their best, possibly world's best dynamic headphone to date, with the first headphone drivers of it's kind with solid state, because it sounds bad.

THIS IS HEAD-FI. ALMOST PURELY JUST OPINIONS! Fun to read though huh?

I have not heard them, but based on what I have read from the few impressions of posters I trust... HD800 reflect the source and amplifier directly. They do not add coloration and some of these Solid State Amps are the same, not much coloration. And these people frankly WANT and ONLY like colored sound. They need the added coloration of tubes and warmth. It's why we been reading some people prefer the D7000 to the HD800 and frankly, I don't think there are many expensive headphones that add more coloration than Denons.

Well that is a good explanation. It will be interesting to hear the opinions of others who listen to them with solid-state amplifiers. Like I said too, maybe they just need more burn-in. Perhaps someone could post a lengthy review of the HD800 used with the Grace M902.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #788 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price, there should be a sonic revelation. The design is interesting and I am looking forward to more seasoned reviews. Those with no interest in selling them with experience in the hps they supposedly are peer to, like stats.

I hope they are as good as advertised and I understand the value is in the ears of the listener.

I disagree. If I heard a Piano sounding like a piano, would not be revelation to me. If the HD800 are as true to sound as they claim, the sound coming from them should not be blowing you away. Do you experience a sonic revelation when you walk outside and hear a car passing, and it sounds exactly like a car passing?

It's boring to hear a car sounding like a car. Imagine if movies were like that. BORING. Instead we want to hear that loud zoom, emphasized bass rumble with treble extension to give it that sense of speed.

Why do some people like Rock Concerts? Because the kick drums are MONSTROUSLY loud and deafening. The bass guitar overemphasized, everything in gratuitous amounts compared to the studio recording. And the cymbals and treble so loud your ears suffer permanent damage and your ears ring, sometimes overnight til the next morning.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #789 of 6,607
But if you have only heard that car pass through inferior hps, hearing it with nothing affecting the sound would be a revelation. You could tell where the weaknesses impacted the natural sound. What hps have given you that unfettered sound?

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #791 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't understand the folks saying HD800 needs tube amps. I thought it was great with SS amps.

I agree with you. To me, they were best from the good solid-state rigs and transformer-coupled tube amps, not the usual OTL-for-Senns candidates. For reference, I was able to hear them on the BUDA, B22, Luxman P-1, Balancing Act, Zana, 307A, SDS-XLR and Woos 2, 5 and 6 SE. Of course, the sources were different in most cases, so make of my opinion what you will.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #792 of 6,607
i have a weird questions,on every headphone i have heard,the bass guitar was always drowned in the music,never quite clear,except on K-1000.
i dont know if it's a typical problem with headphones in general or is it just my crapy hearing,but do you feel you can hear bass guitars more clearly on the HD800 compared to your other cans?
thanks

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #793 of 6,607
Is anybody still suggesting that the HD800 are "the absolute best" dynamic headphone or "revolutionary"?

Or is that gone? I've thought that I've kept up with these threads, but I can't tell for sure if anybody out there is still saying this stuff.

Truth is, if they are "still" a revolution in design and "the world's best", I'm interested, eventually. Otherwise . . . well, I've had to live without a lot of other great headphones, and I can go without these, too.

Are these just one of the pack or do they stand out?

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #794 of 6,607
Quote:

...Perhaps someone could post a lengthy review of the HD800 used with the Grace M902.

I'm not much a writer but I do hope to get an HD800 soon to use with my Grace m902. The Grace handles the HD600 very well so its certainly worth a try with the HD800.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #795 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anybody still suggesting that the HD800 are "the absolute best" dynamic headphone or "revolutionary"?

Or is that gone? I've thought that I've kept up with these threads, but I can't tell for sure if anybody out there is still saying this stuff.

Truth is, if they are "still" a revolution in design and "the world's best", I'm interested, eventually. Otherwise . . . well, I've had to live without a lot of other great headphones, and I can go without these, too.

Are these just one of the pack or do they stand out?

Go through this thread carefully, and you'll find a range of opinions, from "I dislike them", to "they are a huge step forward from the HD580-600-650" to "viva la revolucion!".

It's all here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back