Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #766 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I miss you Man, I was gonna check the obit's in your town to see if you were still with us!

eek.gif

Thanks! But, I'm still kicking....LOL
L3000.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #768 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what do un-problematic headphones sound like right off the bat?

Well obviously not "great". Why don't you listen to one and find out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please man....it's a fact..don't debate it..Hysteria is and always will be a benchmark in that genre of music.

LOL! That's like saying George W is a "benchmark" in the genre of bad presidents.

Anyway, enjoy your "Hysteria" while I enjoy mine.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #769 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be happy to know that Luxman is going to be producing more P-1's in the Fall.

Read through the CanJam impressions thread. Someone reputable in there said they talked to Todd about this.

Good to know, thanks. Some official confirmation would be nice though. I suppose I can "suffer" until the fall with my current setup then. Hmm maybe a source upgrade is in order in the meanwhile
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #770 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! That's like saying George W is a "benchmark" in the genre of bad presidents.

Now that's exactly the wrong analogy.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #771 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people keep comparing this headphone to the K701? Does it really sound like that terrible headphone?

As a K701 owner, I can’t fathom why people dislike it so much. It isn’t perfect, but what is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's even better... apparently. Terribly good.

My respect for the K701 keeps growing, the more I listen! I ‘burn it in’ for a few hours every day and it has improved dramatically over the last few weeks.

I had a couple of grudges: Initially, it lacked body and fullness, especially with violins. And the treble seemed rolled off, lacking sparkle.

Bass improved over the first few weeks, but the instruments still sounded like bleached outlines for a while!

But, a few weeks ago, they suddenly opened up… Now, they sound much better and the overall sonic signature is closer to my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 than it was ever before.

With High Gain on my Ultra Micro, they sound very musical… a huge improvement over my Shure E4C IEM.

And who said they lack bass? They go deep enough for classical and the quality of the bass is superb. No hint of boom… just focused, tight bass.

Of course, the HD800 could be a lot better! It’s costlier and in a different league. But, that does not take anything away from the K701; it is still good in its own right.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #772 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a K701 owner, I can’t fathom why people dislike it so much. It isn’t perfect, but what is?

Absolutely fair. I just happen to dislike those phones, but it's all a matter of taste. I also note that you are using the K701 with HR gear. I've found that when I have personally heard the K701 with HR amps, I can finally understand why someone would like the K701. Good synergy there, imo.

I still hope the 800 sounds nothing like it to me.
smile_phones.gif

And if we all liked the same headphones, what the hell would we argue about all day?

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #773 of 6,607
I'm finding that the HD800's combination of neutrality and transient response is very revealing insofar as the recording and mastering quality of a particular album. In fact, I'm finding myself listening to various stuff I have laying around that is well-recorded but musically speaking, rubbish (like Spyro Gyra)
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #774 of 6,607
What I notice so far is that, I didn't realize just how different my CDs sound. Example being, last night I was listening to Steely Dans Greatest Hits, and the sound was very laid back, almost velvet like and I had to go higher on the volume to reach satisfactory detail, however it did sound pretty damn good. Then I threw in Led Zeps Physical Graffiti, and was blown away! Very nice detail and instrument seperation even at lower volumes.

People say the HD800 is amp reliant, I say it is recording "quality" reliant if you will, even more so. These cans absolutely do not lie.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #776 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely fair. I just happen to dislike those phones, but it's all a matter of taste. I also note that you are using the K701 with HR gear. I've found that when I have personally heard the K701 with HR amps, I can finally understand why someone would like the K701. Good synergy there, imo.

I still hope the 800 sounds nothing like it to me.
smile_phones.gif

And if we all liked the same headphones, what the hell would we argue about all day?

Yes mate!
biggrin.gif
That's why I LOVE HEAD-FI!

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #777 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can Jam HD800 impressions:
1. 701 family: I know some people will hate me but the HD800 had more in common and sounded more like a refined 701 than HD600 or HD650. More upper midrange and treble presence. It's got all details and clarity to die for but it's got no body and warmth to them. To me it lacked the upper bass that warms up the sound and gives all the details the body it needs to sound musical. (it maybe because my ears have been accustomed to ue11 and ah-d7000)

2. Bad on solid state: I didn't like them with any solid states. Even with the best I heard, apache, headroom's top of the line. They sounded thin, dry and even harsh at times. Again, lack the warmth and musicality.

3. Shines with tubes: I will say that they sounded great with tubes. I think tubes are a must for these. They need the upper bass, lower midrange increase that tubes give to make them sound warm and musical. I tried the raptor, b52 (which sounded really amazing) and woo's on them. I found myself liking them only with tube set ups.

Overall, I now wish I had tubes; always been a solid state man... now I may have to change or give up the hd800.

Yes, I was disappointed at canjam. I would not have admitted than, but I was expecting an euphonic experience. I wanted the HD800 to blow me away with mind-blowing revelations.

To me at the Headroom/Senneheiser room, at Canjam, listening out of Headroom’s set up, the sound from the HD800 sounded thin and dry.
Yes, I did hear details, clarity and nuances that beat everything I ever heard, but I was too disappointed to enjoy it and appreciate then.

It was not until I heard the HD800 out of tube amps from woo audio and ray’s b52 did it begin to occur to me the rare and superior qualities of these headphones.
But again, because I knew I would go back home to my solid state Corda Symphony, and not to a tube amp that made these headphones so shine and sing, that I was even more let down.

So consequently, even though I knew it’s excellent qualities, my impressions and reviews were negatively colored.

Well now having had the HD800 for two days, I don’t know if it was because I got over the initial let down and just had to relax a bit; or because I was not demanding so much anymore for these headphones to be “the all perfect headphones”; or because I had to acclimate to a different kind of presentation;
or because the HD800 had to re-teach me how to listen after having listened to bass heavy phones like AH-D7000, UE11pro and HD650 and had to accept that these were bass recessed or neutral phones but things begin to happen.

I’m still adjusting to the bass presentation. With some music, not all, sometimes I feel like I’m in the same room with the midrange and treble, but the bass is coming from the next room. It’s all there but it’s more distant, more recessed than the midrange and treble. It’s more in the background and treble and midrange more in forefront. That’s the best way I can put it. But like I said, it’s not with all recordings and I am getting used to it.

Having spent some time with the HD800, I am becoming more and more impressed and I can even say, moments where I’m blown away. For example, in Diana Krall’s Live in Paris, “A Case of You”, with my AH-D7000, UE11pro and even from my memory of GS-1000, I heard all the little vocal qualities of her voice as she sang; but the HD800, you hear her breath coming out to the microphone before she begins to vocalize and sing. You hear the inhaling before she sings and breath into the microphone before the voice comes out.
That’s the difference. It’s pretty darn amazing.

I think what I find with the HD800 is that you will have two different kinds of groups. The first group will be like Jude and Tyll who loved it from the get go.
Then the second group will be like me who grew to love it. And honestly the reason I purchased it without hearing is because I really do trust their ears and opinions more than my own. I’m still new at this so I know that I will come to agree with them over time. In HD800 case, it proved to be true.

PS: I did purchase woo 6 to compliment my corda symphony. The HD800 sounds amazing with tubes.

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #778 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I was disappointed at canjam. I would not have admitted than, but I was expecting an euphonic experience. I wanted the HD800 to blow me away with mind-blowing revelations.

To me at the Headroom/Senneheiser room, at Canjam, listening out of Headroom’s set up, the sound from the HD800 sounded thin and dry.
Yes, I did hear details, clarity and nuances that beat everything I ever heard, but I was too disappointed to enjoy it and appreciate then.

It was not until I heard the HD800 out of tube amps from woo audio and ray’s b52 did it begin to occur to me the rare and superior qualities of these headphones.
But again, because I knew I would go back home to my solid state Corda Symphony, and not to a tube amp that made these headphones so shine and sing, that I was even more let down.

So consequently, even though I knew it’s excellent qualities, my impressions and reviews were negatively colored.

Well now having had the HD800 for two days, I don’t know if it was because I got over the initial let down and just had to relax a bit; or because I was not demanding so much anymore for these headphones to be “the all perfect headphones”; or because I had to acclimate to a different kind of presentation;
or because the HD800 had to re-teach me how to listen after having listened to bass heavy phones like AH-D7000, UE11pro and HD650 and had to accept that these were bass recessed or neutral phones but things begin to happen.

I’m still adjusting to the bass presentation. With some music, not all, sometimes I feel like I’m in the same room with the midrange and treble, but the bass is coming from the next room. It’s all there but it’s more distant, more recessed than the midrange and treble. It’s more in the background and treble and midrange more in forefront. That’s the best way I can put it. But like I said, it’s not with all recordings and I am getting used to it.

Having spent some time with the HD800, I am becoming more and more impressed and I can even say, moments where I’m blown away. For example, in Diana Krall’s Live in Paris, “A Case of You”, with my AH-D7000, UE11pro and even from my memory of GS-1000, I heard all the little vocal qualities of her voice as she sang; but the HD800, you hear her breath coming out to the microphone before she begins to vocalize and sing. You hear the inhaling before she sings and breath into the microphone before the voice comes out.
That’s the difference. It’s pretty darn amazing.

I think what I find with the HD800 is that you will have two different kinds of groups. The first group will be like Jude and Tyll who loved it from the get go.
Then the second group will be like me who grew to love it. And honestly the reason I purchased it without hearing is because I really do trust their ears and opinions more than my own. I’m still new at this so I know that I will come to agree with them over time. In HD800 case, it proved to be true.

PS: I did purchase woo 6 to compliment my corda symphony. The HD800 sounds amazing with tubes.

More burn-in needed perhaps for more body and warmth? Just a guess, my K701 had this very weakness to start with... burn has resolved this to a reasonable extent!

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #779 of 6,607
This is great. After 5,000 or so posts about the HD800 it is so nice to start reading sober and balanced opinions of the HD800 without all the hyperbole. I will be looking forward, like everyone else here, to reading more about the HD800. I am a bit surprised though, especially since the HD800 was touted as the Second Coming, that a couple of people of have commented on the HD800 not sounding its best with solid state amplifiers. Could this be an engineering flaw? With all the money and years of research that went into this headphone, I would've assumed that Sennheiser would have addressed this issue. Maybe, like others have stated, the HD800 just needs more burn-in. Is it possible that Sennheiser changed something in the HD800 after its initial prototype release? Maybe the HD800 that Jude and Tyll tested is different is some way from the actual production model. It could explain why we have all waited so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back