Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #751 of 6,607
I think I'm the guy kool bubba ice was referring to. I had my SA5000's with me all day Sunday out and about, so I'm sorry you didn't see me, IpodPJ. I was doing a lot of comparison listening, since I was looking for great thrash metal headphones.

I stuffed some foam in the back of the earcups of my SA5000, which kills that terrible echo, but swallows up some of the soundstage. I agree that the HD 800 are better headphones overall, and what surprised me is really how close in speed the SA5000 and HD 800 are to the electrostats I listened to. I'd say it's about 85% to 90% of the way to a Stax earspeaker. However, the HD 800 had a slightly hot treble sound, just like the Stax Omega 2, and it gave an airy presentation, whereas the SA5000 does not.

By the way, I heard those Qualia's too. It was like putting a couple of hard leather dress shoes on my head, and sounded like a conch shell inside with no music playing. They were way too big.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #752 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wanted to hear the SA5000 but didn't see any at the show. However I did hear Ray Samuels' Qualia 010 and I thought they were some of the most godawful things I've ever heard, and he agreed with me, but he "still had to have them anyway."

LOL. I have exactly the same sentiment.

Since I love my SA5000, many times I tried to reach out for a pair of Qualia 010, I even posted a WTB in the for sale forum here on Head-fi. Auditioned many times at various meets, A/B'ed with my SA5000,...., just can't make myself like them, even though I tried very hard.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #753 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I recall Sennheiser was using a m902 at one point in some of their early HD800 demos. They must have thought it was OK.

I will be using my m902b with my HD 800 (when they arrive) and don't forget the 902 has that boost mode.

Sennheiser UK use an m902 to demonstrate the HD 800 in the UK.

I like the 902, Grace Design make good stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And don't forget that the m902 also makes a pretty good pre-amp. It's serving that double duty for me anyway, amp for my phones and pre-amp for my stereo.

Yes, I use mine for both headphones and monitor controller on location. The DAC is actually very good as well, very close to the Nagra, which is one of the best there are.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #754 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm the guy kool bubba ice was referring to. I had my SA5000's with me all day Sunday out and about, so I'm sorry you didn't see me, IpodPJ. I was doing a lot of comparison listening, since I was looking for great thrash metal headphones.

I stuffed some foam in the back of the earcups of my SA5000, which kills that terrible echo, but swallows up some of the soundstage. I agree that the HD 800 are better headphones overall, and what surprised me is really how close in speed the SA5000 and HD 800 are to the electrostats I listened to. I'd say it's about 85% to 90% of the way to a Stax earspeaker. However, the HD 800 had a slightly hot treble sound, just like the Stax Omega 2, and it gave an airy presentation, whereas the SA5000 does not.

By the way, I heard those Qualia's too. It was like putting a couple of hard leather dress shoes on my head, and sounded like a conch shell inside with no music playing. They were way too big.

Sorry I didn't see you at the show. It would have been nice to spend a few minutes comparing our cans.
happy_face1.gif
I'm sure you were busy though and I know I was extremely busy the whole time. But I did have a blast of a time and I'm sure everyone who went there did as well.

I saw you at the raffle, Larry, but I guess we never ran into eachother, at least I don't think we did. Unfortunately the DNA Sonett was the very last thing I listened to and that's only because Donald approached me, knowing prior to the meet that I was interested in having a listen. Had I had known ahead of time, I would have gave word to everyone to bring their HD800 over to it. It was a good thing he found me because it was the highlight of the show for me. I plan on having two amps now -- the DNA balanced Sonett and the Audio-gd Phoenix. My girlfriend wants a tube amp so this will make the purchase an easier thing to accomplish!

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #755 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your comments are so vague and cliche that they have almost zero substance or meaning.

Headphones that sound "great" right off the bat are usually problematic in the long run. In my experience, anyway. But since there are varing opinions and the jury is still out, I'm still very curious. But I'm not throwing $1800 CDN at curiosity.

please man....it's a fact..don't debate it..Hysteria is and always will be a benchmark in that genre of music.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #756 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first CD I ever purchased. Still DL's greatest Album/CD.

no question it's thier best album....at least someone here has taste.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #757 of 6,607
Question, I will place an order this week. Who should I place it with? My only concern is wait time. I am patient, but obviously want to go with the quickest option.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #759 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brother, this ain't the Deep Darth thread..what are you doing here?

Haha -- I have owned the various Senns for many many years.
HD580, 600, 650 -- various older and newer iterations of each, too.
Darths are not the only cans I own --they are just a small part of my multi-brand can collection.
I have all the good stuff. Or had it and sold it. Trust me.
I just don't post that much. Anymore.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #760 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using my m902b with my HD 800 (when they arrive) and don't forget the 902 has that boost mode.

Sennheiser UK use an m902 to demonstrate the HD 800 in the UK.

I like the 902, Grace Design make good stuff.

Yes, I use mine for both headphones and monitor controller on location. The DAC is actually very good as well, very close to the Nagra, which is one of the best there are.

Thanks for the confirmation! Now if I could only figure out which body organ I should be selling to fund the HD800....

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #761 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any hints about the european release?

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #762 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my 800's this morning from HeadRoom. I brought my portable rig to the office (predator amp/lossless files on ipod/ALO LOD) to get going with a little burn in. Man, these things are impressive right out of the box even on the portable rig. Can't wait to try them on the big rig at home tonight. Right off the bait I can tell they are a little brighter compared to my 650's (no veil at all). Noticable improvement on the detail, even more detailed than my GS-1000's that I use on this rig quite a bit. Not sure if they have as much bass impact as the 650's using this rig, but it has been a while since I listened to the 650's on the predator. Huge soundstage as well. They seem well built and substantial when you pick them up (they do look smaller than I expected when I opened the box), but they are very comfortable to wear. The clamping pressure is just right for me. So far I am very pleased. I will give an update once I get them on the Zana Deux amp/Marantz SACD player at the house tonight.

Alright, I had a chance to listen for a few hours last night using the Zana Deux amp and both Marantz SA8001 SACD player and a Wadia iTransport feeding into a Stello DA100 DAC as source. My previous HP was a Senn 650 with a stefan audioart equinox cable (I also have a pair of GS-1000's that don't get as much us on the home rig). For those of you familiar with the Zana Deux amp, you will know that the ZD and 650 are a pretty magical combo. That being said I was wanting the 800's to easily beat the 650's on my set up. The good news is the 800's win in the soundstage, detail, and comfort department. The bad news is they did not easily beat the 650's. They are certainly not 3 times better than the 650's, which I believe someone in this thread suggested. In fact, they lack the bass impact of the 650's, which IMO makes the 650 more enjoyable with cetain genres (rock for me, which I listen to a lot). I'm hoping the bass improves with burn in. One more thing I will try is switching to a Brimar driver tube, which should help with the bass (I'm currently running a Valvo tube).

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #763 of 6,607
KevinR70, from what I’ve read through these impression’s the biggest improvement with burn in would be in the bass. I’m sure their going to come real good with a bit of break in.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #764 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha -- I have owned the various Senns for many many years.
HD580, 600, 650 -- various older and newer iterations of each, too.
Darths are not the only cans I own --they are just a small part of my multi-brand can collection.
I have all the good stuff. Or had it and sold it. Trust me.
I just don't post that much. Anymore.

I miss you Man, I was gonna check the obit's in your town to see if you were still with us!

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #765 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I had a chance to listen for a few hours last night using the Zana Deux amp and both Marantz SA8001 SACD player and a Wadia iTransport feeding into a Stello DA100 DAC as source. My previous HP was a Senn 650 with a stefan audioart equinox cable (I also have a pair of GS-1000's that don't get as much us on the home rig). For those of you familiar with the Zana Deux amp, you will know that the ZD and 650 are a pretty magical combo. That being said I was wanting the 800's to easily beat the 650's on my set up. The good news is the 800's win in the soundstage, detail, and comfort department. The bad news is they did not easily beat the 650's. They are certainly not 3 times better than the 650's, which I believe someone in this thread suggested. In fact, they lack the bass impact of the 650's, which IMO makes the 650 more enjoyable with cetain genres (rock for me, which I listen to a lot). I'm hoping the bass improves with burn in. One more thing I will try is switching to a Brimar driver tube, which should help with the bass (I'm currently running a Valvo tube).

Much more consistent with what I expected - having heard the HD650s with all the right sources, amps and cables. Very difficult to better them by a lot - certainly not proportionate to the much greater cost of the HD800s.

And... yes... it may be that the other Senns, or other phones, have more "coloration" in the mids, or whatever - which may be why they all sound so good - a lot of us may just prefer some "color" with our music, rather than the "straight-scoop" from our source.

But... that's OK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back