Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #796 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a weird questions,on every headphone i have heard,the bass guitar was always drowned in the music,never quite clear,except on K-1000.
i dont know if it's a typical problem with headphones in general or is it just my crapy hearing,but do you feel you can hear bass guitars more clearly on the HD800 compared to your other cans?
thanks

Have you heard the HP-DX1000 (JVC)? I'd be darned surprised if that happened with those.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #797 of 6,607
Yeah might be his hearing cause I can hear bass guitar clearly on my AD900 where the bass is not exactly it's strength

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #798 of 6,607
From what I heard from canjam...the new "revolution" seems to be from jerry harvey's new JH13pro IEM: it has six drivers (two for treble, two for midrange and two for bass). I think once the hd800 and ps-1000 hype gets old, people will be talking about these.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #799 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallsroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could be the combination of a very detailed, neutral phone coupled with a preference on the part of those listeners to a certain type of sonic coloration that tracks closely to the sound of tubes. In light of the detail available from hte 800 (a characteristic that so far is described in almost all of the comments here), that missing coloration may come across as a flat or lifeless frequency signature, best corrected by adding tubes into the chain.

x2. Whenever I hear somebody say a headphone only sounds good on tubes I wonder if they actually dislike the sonic signature of that headphone. Using certain types of tube amps (or, perhaps, a high impedance output on a SS amp) tends to change the frequency response of headphones. It's, arguably, the equivalent of EQing the sound to the point where you like it.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #800 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I heard from canjam...the new "revolution" seems to be from jerry harvey's new JH13pro IEM: it has six drivers (two for treble, two for midrange and two for bass). I think once the hd800 and ps-1000 hype gets old, people will be talking about these.

"these go to eleven" :wink:

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #802 of 6,607
As far as ss amps go, headphone attic and ipoddj said the amphoria sounds pretty good with the hd800.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #803 of 6,607
Quote:

Not if you don't know who the heck Jerry Harvey is or even cares about IEMs. I for that matter are both and still don't care
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #804 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I had a chance to listen for a few hours last night using the Zana Deux amp and both Marantz SA8001 SACD player and a Wadia iTransport feeding into a Stello DA100 DAC as source. My previous HP was a Senn 650 with a stefan audioart equinox cable (I also have a pair of GS-1000's that don't get as much us on the home rig). For those of you familiar with the Zana Deux amp, you will know that the ZD and 650 are a pretty magical combo. That being said I was wanting the 800's to easily beat the 650's on my set up. The good news is the 800's win in the soundstage, detail, and comfort department. The bad news is they did not easily beat the 650's. They are certainly not 3 times better than the 650's, which I believe someone in this thread suggested. In fact, they lack the bass impact of the 650's, which IMO makes the 650 more enjoyable with cetain genres (rock for me, which I listen to a lot). I'm hoping the bass improves with burn in. One more thing I will try is switching to a Brimar driver tube, which should help with the bass (I'm currently running a Valvo tube).

I am using the Brimar tube into my Zana Duex to feed my 800s and I came from the 650s too. Listen for a few days, I feel the balance is better, there is not the same impact due to the larger opener soundstage though.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #805 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the Brimar tube into my Zana Duex to feed my 800s and I came from the 650s too. Listen for a few days, I feel the balance is better, there is not the same impact due to the larger opener soundstage though.

Getting ready to make the switch. Have you tried any other tubes with the 800's?

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #806 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well obviously not "great". Why don't you listen to one and find out?

LOL! That's like saying George W is a "benchmark" in the genre of bad presidents.

Anyway, enjoy your "Hysteria" while I enjoy mine.

can you give me one album thats recorded better (rock)

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #807 of 6,607
wow... UPS just dropped my HD800's off on my porch with no signature required.... Better run home from work a little earlier today...

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #808 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow... UPS just dropped my HD800's off on my porch with no signature required.... Better run home from work a little earlier today...

What is your address?
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #809 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the confirmation! Now if I could only figure out which body organ I should be selling to fund the HD800....

Anything that you have two of?

Jun 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #810 of 6,607
Quote:

It was not until I heard the HD800 out of tube amps from woo audio and ray’s b52 did it begin to occur to me the rare and superior qualities of these headphones.

Well now having had the HD800 for two days, I don’t know if it was because I got over the initial let down and just had to relax a bit; or because I was not demanding so much anymore for these headphones to be “the all perfect headphones”; or because I had to acclimate to a different kind of presentation; or because the HD800 had to re-teach me how to listen after having listened to bass heavy phones like AH-D7000, UE11pro and HD650 and had to accept that these were bass recessed or neutral phones but things begin to happen.

I’m still adjusting to the bass presentation. With some music, not all, sometimes I feel like I’m in the same room with the midrange and treble, but the bass is coming from the next room. It’s all there but it’s more distant, more recessed than the midrange and treble. It’s more in the background and treble and midrange more in forefront. That’s the best way I can put it. But like I said, it’s not with all recordings and I am getting used to it.

I am sure the bass will definitely improve with the Woo WA6. I think the Solo SRG sounded a little to me like what you describe your Symphony sounding with them. The Woo WA6 is just wonderful with the HD800, and I enjoy the combo every bit as much as I do with my Woo GES any any of my best electrostatics. On the other hand, there are some SS amps that sound fantastic with the HD800, including my balanced and upgraded Square Wave and ALO Amphora. I recall the TTVJ FET-A also sounding very nice with the HD800 although it was nothing compared to the 307A nearby or the WA22 across the room.

Having spent some time with the HD800, I am becoming more and more impressed and I can even say, moments where I’m blown away. For example, in Diana Krall’s Live in Paris, “A Case of You”, with my AH-D7000, UE11pro and even from my memory of GS-1000, I heard all the little vocal qualities of her voice as she sang; but the HD800, you hear her breath coming out to the microphone before she begins to vocalize and sing. You hear the inhaling before she sings and breath into the microphone before the voice comes out.

That’s the difference. It’s pretty darn amazing.

I agree that is a phenomenal test track for the HD800 or any other phone. I got goosebumps listening with my ES3X, HD800 and even my HE Audio Jade with it the first time I tried them with that track on a good amp.

I think what I find with the HD800 is that you will have two different kinds of groups. The first group will be like Jude and Tyll who loved it from the get go.

Then the second group will be like me who grew to love it. And honestly the reason I purchased it without hearing is because I really do trust their ears and opinions more than my own. I’m still new at this so I know that I will come to agree with them over time. In HD800 case, it proved to be true.

PS: I did purchase woo 6 to compliment my corda symphony. The HD800 sounds amazing with tubes.

I wont know till it gets here, but I still wonder if my Eddie Current ZDT on order will really sound significantly better than my maxed WA6 with pseudo dual power supply and Sophia rectifier. I have a love/not-hate relationship with my WA6, thanks to Ken at ALO for recommending it to me last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back