Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 7, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #5,611 of 6,607
The Mjolnir fits those criteria, the BHA-1 does not.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #5,612 of 6,607
Quote:
Hello. I'm looking now for a higher level amp of my Meier Classic.
Pretenders are: Bryston BHA-1, SPL Phonitor, Burson Soloist, Luxman P-200. No tubes.

I like a natural sound with saturated timbres, but not a sharp and harshness. With good supply of bass.
Music as more is a progressive rock and not much instrumental.

What can you aadvice me about that?    

I haven't listened to it but the Violectic V200 should be a contender I think.

And I think you can rule out the Phonitor.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #5,613 of 6,607
Quote:
The break-in on these headphones is also quite substantial - I think people are talking on the magnitude of several hundred hours.

You're probably right. I've not had an HD 800 from new and haven't noticed much of a difference (if any) in sound over time since acquiring my HD 800. The frequency response of difference HD 800s does vary and I'm also thinking that the sound definitely varies from headphone to headphone in the same way it does with cymbals - a high quality cymbal company can make two cymbals that are exactly the same model and each cymbal can sound distinctly different.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #5,614 of 6,607
Hello. I'm looking now for a higher level amp of my Meier Classic.
Pretenders are: Bryston BHA-1, SPL Phonitor, Burson Soloist, Luxman P-200. No tubes.

I like a natural sound with saturated timbres, but not a sharp and harshness. With good supply of bass.
Music as more is a progressive rock and not much instrumental.

What can you aadvice me about that?    

Wait for the HDVA 600 or HDVD 800.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #5,615 of 6,607
I've read about Mjolnir comparison with BHA-1 and Bryston called "warmer"
confused_face_2.gif

I thought about V200 too, just I think would be to much "natural and bass impact" 
wink.gif

I need a natural, neutral, clean sound. Just without crisps and sharp.

HVDA 600 and HVDVD 800 it's interesting idea, bit pricey than I planned for a amp. 
regular_smile .gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #5,616 of 6,607
IMO the BHA-1 is all around better than the Mjolnir, but it does have an attack about it that is on the sharp side, which you said you didn't want. The Mjolnir is still excellent and is nearly as detailed, but without any sharpness. I have them side by side and have been auditioning them for a week and a half now. With the price difference, it's a tough call, IMO.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #5,617 of 6,607
 Hm, it is helpful and interesting information. Thank you, Maxvia. One is the reason off the Mjolnir is that need to recable HD800 and LCD-2. It's costs too.
And couldn't to listen another headphones. Needs more resolution for that. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #5,618 of 6,607
Quote:
Quote:
DAC + transport, and I'm not saying what you have now is bad. But, I see you're aiming for a high-end setup with your amp and headphones. It's only fitting you have a source to match so your chain's not bottlenecked.

What do you mean by transport?

Regarding the m903 DAC it is excellent. Take a look at some performance data.

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_DAC_Amp&document_srl=11864

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m903/m903.htm

I do not believe that it is a "bottleneck" in any sense. It has balanced outs as well. So I guess that I am more confused than anything. There are very few units that out perform it in the consumer realm, hence my confusion.

I just noticed that your Grace 903 made it into the top (A+) category in Stereophile's "2012 Recommended Components Digital Processors" list, beating out DACs that cost much more including the Zodiac Gold / Voltikus power supply bundle @ $4495 among a few others from makers like Bryston, Esoteric, Meridian and Bel Canto.

So congrats! I don't think there's anything to be concerned about
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #5,619 of 6,607
Quote:

I just noticed that your Grace 903 made it into the top (A+) category in Stereophile's "2012 Recommended Components Digital Processors" list, beating out DACs that cost much more including the Zodiac Gold / Voltikus power supply bundle @ $4495 among a few others from makers like Bryston, Esoteric, Meridian and Bel Canto.

So congrats! I don't think there's anything to be concerned about
wink.gif

Thanks for this link -- I hadn't seen that list before. I recall preferring the m903 over the W4S DAC2 in many ways when I compared them head to head. The fact that the m903 also has a headphone amp that sounds great with the HD800 (as well as Grados and Denons) was kind of gravy at that point.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5,620 of 6,607
I have enjoyed my Grace Design m903 DAC and did not consider it a choke point...

That being said, I welcome divergent opinions and appreciate people taking the time to post.

Here are 3 positive reviews:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-69
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/grace-m903.htm
http://www.gracedesign.com/press/pdf/m903%20-%20Hi-Fi%20World%20Review%20July%202012.pdf

Here is one mixed review:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/423-grace-design-m903-reference-dac-preamp-headphone-amp-review/

Here is objective performance data:

http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_DAC_Amp&document_srl=11864

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #5,621 of 6,607
It sorta sucks that pro gear like the DAC I have by Mytek has no mention on that list and isn't really known here at head-fi. Promotional failure on Mytek's part might be the problem but I guess its hard for them to diverge from the pro market to audiophiles.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #5,622 of 6,607
Quote:
It sorta sucks that pro gear like the DAC I have by Mytek has no mention on that list and isn't really known here at head-fi. Promotional failure on Mytek's part might be the problem but I guess its hard for them to diverge from the pro market to audiophiles.

Why did you chosed a Mytek? As I've heard mentions from another, it's a studio equipment with conforming sounding.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #5,624 of 6,607
Wow.... just bought an arm chair from IKEA. Sit down and relax, listening to the songs i like via HD800.

Now, i understand why people needs a comfortable chair to listen music... It was very very easy to fall in focusing...

I love it.

smile.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #5,625 of 6,607
Quote:

That list has more than a couple "Pro" DAC's on it (Grace, Antelope, Benchmark, Behringer).  The Mytek is fairly new, and Stereophile takes it's sweet time reviewing products.

Unless you need the validation of having a product you own on someone else's list, it doesn't really matter.  

RE: S/N's, them being in the 20K range does not necessarily mean they've produced 20K headphones.  What companies will often do is start each batch in a totally different range.  February's batch will all be 10K's, April's will be 12K, etc - this helps pinpoint issues if one batch was improperly made.  
Then again, I would not be surprised if they've sold 20,000 headphones over the last 3+ years it's been on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back