Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Oct 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #5,582 of 6,607
So - entertain me.

If one would like to get that lush, romantic tube sound with the HD800 which would be the amp to get?

Not neutral - we're talking beautiful & romantic here.

And not to expensive either, low to mid-range.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #5,583 of 6,607
I have been enjoying the HD800s with the ALO Pan Am recently. I'm not sure if $600 qualifies as low cost though. Possibly someone has tried the HD800s with a Little Dot amp?

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5,584 of 6,607
HDVD 800 will arrive at a lucky end of October, definite November. I will be picking up one for demoing. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #5,585 of 6,607
I got my HD800 around two months ago, originally only drived them w/ an Xonar STX sound card, pretty happy w/ the sound (better than HD650 which I also had during that time). Then I got an X-CAN V9P which I really loved, the HD800 sound just much better w/ the amp. That's when I started to believe a dedicated amp and DAC would really match better w/ these fantastic headphones. 

Subsequently I bought an M1-DAC-A to match the X-CAN V9P, then upgraded the amp to a V200 thanks to all the reviews at the forum. Now I really enjoy listening to my favorite music w/ this setup: PC toslink or CD6004 optical to M1-DAC-A, which is connected to V200 with XLR balanced cables, and the HD800 hooked on my ears. I can listen to all kinds of music all day long w/o feeling tired, well, except a bit sweaty during warm days  :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #5,586 of 6,607
Quote:
So - entertain me.

If one would like to get that lush, romantic tube sound with the HD800 which would be the amp to get?

Not neutral - we're talking beautiful & romantic here.

And not to expensive either, low to mid-range.

I have a DHC Molecule instead of the [size=x-small]TWag v2, but otherwise I can totally vouch for this exact setu[size=x-small]p:[/size][/size]

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue54/woo.htm

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #5,588 of 6,607
Hi,

Well after one week of ownership, I am quite pleased.  I have been playing them all all day while I am at work beginning the break-in process;but between listening and playing they probably still have only about 60-70 hour of use.  I am guessing the headphones should be "broken in" in the 200-300 period. My pre-purchase rig was a Grace Design m903 and AKG K702s so I did do a lot of A/B ing between them and the HD800s. BTW, serial numbers are now up in the 178xx range for those of you you track such esoterica. 

Early Impressions:

I think that they are as many of you know fantastic headphones for someone seeking a magnifying a sonic magnifying glass into the recording studio or recorded space.  If find them very much in the school of the AKG K702s which at 1/5th the HD800s price are truly remarkable headphones.  I find the Sennheiser's are buying me more bass information, detail information; both sonically and spatially and they also are more comfortable to wear. On a qualitative scale, I would say the extra cost sonically is getting you that last 5-10% of information sonically and spatially that is not presented by the AKGs.  Such is the cost/benefit curve once you pass the asymptote which I would say the AKG's lie on.  The last bit of information always costs you a  disproportionate sum (diminishing returns).

I will be curious to see what a different amplifier will be able to do beyond the Grace Design m903 with them. I suspect the difference is similar to what I found with the AKGs.  I might find that last 5-10%.  I am still on the fence to go with a nice tube amp like a DNA Stratus 2A3 or a balanced SS amp like a AMG Audio Sigma/Beta 22. I think either might be a step up from my m903. Unfortunately, neither of these amps are readily available for auditioning like headphones (I compared the HD800s to the LCD-2s with library loaners). Both choices have 4-pin XLR balanced outs, so a custom cable will be in order as well. 

:)

Bob

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #5,589 of 6,607
The HD800 may sound similar to you right now, but they scale way higher than the K701. I'm confident you'll hear this for yourself as you upgrade your audio chain.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #5,591 of 6,607
The HD800 with a good amp will give you more than a 5-10% increase. Though the 903 I've heard is no slouch.

Quote:
Hi,

Well after one week of ownership, I am quite pleased.  I have been playing them all all day while I am at work beginning the break-in process;but between listening and playing they probably still have only about 60-70 hour of use.  I am guessing the headphones should be "broken in" in the 200-300 period. My pre-purchase rig was a Grace Design m903 and AKG K702s so I did do a lot of A/B ing between them and the HD800s. BTW, serial numbers are now up in the 178xx range for those of you you track such esoterica. 

Early Impressions:

I think that they are as many of you know fantastic headphones for someone seeking a magnifying a sonic magnifying glass into the recording studio or recorded space.  If find them very much in the school of the AKG K702s which at 1/5th the HD800s price are truly remarkable headphones.  I find the Sennheiser's are buying me more bass information, detail information; both sonically and spatially and they also are more comfortable to wear. On a qualitative scale, I would say the extra cost sonically is getting you that last 5-10% of information sonically and spatially that is not presented by the AKGs.  Such is the cost/benefit curve once you pass the asymptote which I would say the AKG's lie on.  The last bit of information always costs you a  disproportionate sum (diminishing returns).

I will be curious to see what a different amplifier will be able to do beyond the Grace Design m903 with them. I suspect the difference is similar to what I found with the AKGs.  I might find that last 5-10%.  I am still on the fence to go with a nice tube amp like a DNA Stratus 2A3 or a balanced SS amp like a AMG Audio Sigma/Beta 22. I think either might be a step up from my m903. Unfortunately, neither of these amps are readily available for auditioning like headphones (I compared the HD800s to the LCD-2s with library loaners). Both choices have 4-pin XLR balanced outs, so a custom cable will be in order as well. 

Bob

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,592 of 6,607
The HD800 with a good amp will give you more than a 5-10% increase. Though the 903 I've heard is no slouch.

We're are likely saying the same thing. What I call the last 10% is likely what we spend our time discussing around these parts. Some folks might describe them as much more than 10% better. I think the differences that are meaningful to us are very much about the details of realism that lie here.

The AKGs are very good. I was just trying to say the HD800s where in the same sonically revealing, monitoring school of headphones. They are definitely better than the AKGs in a number of ways. I suspect as you say, they can be even more revealing under better amplification. I do wonder how much better though?

The m903 is a good single-ended, solid state amp, with low output impedance and fair power at 300 ohm (200 mW). Mike Grace designs high-end monitoring equipment and the m903 is the third generation product. That is why I am looking at the two amps that I am. Tubes will definitely be different and the Beta 22 is both balanced and has more power bandwidth.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #5,593 of 6,607
Don't forget the source. Source source source.

Mediocre source + great amp = mediocre sound.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #5,594 of 6,607
Source = iTunes or Decibel playing some high res files via Grace Design USB DAC (most of my material is 16/44 but I do have some high res stuff. My DAC is capable of 24/192.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #5,595 of 6,607
Quote:
Source = iTunes or Decibel playing some high res files via Grace Design USB DAC (most of my material is 16/44 but I do have some high res stuff. My DAC is capable of 24/192.

If I were you, sure I'd start with using that, but eventually it'd be ideal to upgrade lest you want your source holding back the new amp. The HD800s are microscopes and I feel every little upgrade counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back