Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4,216 of 6,607
I think chain upgrades have been a big factor in varied perceptions as well.  Or maybe there was a change, couldn't say for sure.  Definitely some variation around the 6khz range by Senn graphs, bass and the rest seems largely the same for the most part.

May 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #4,217 of 6,607
I think my HD 800 sounds great, moreso with the Black Dragon cable, though I'm interested in switching back to the stock to try that, too!

On another note, I just recently read this very interesting article from Tyll Hertsens which discusses about how at a certain volume we humans have an acoustic reflex that gets in the way of hearing recorded music clearly. I've recently experimented with listening at 70dB and everything definitely sounds much clearer now, especially with the HD 800 I'm using now. I no longer feel any hearing stress when listening, which is quite a discovery!

It also seems that when we turn up the HD 800, our acoustic reflex kicks in thereby adding more bass to the sound though at the expense of some detail coming from the headphone. This is another factor that can make our rigs and recordings sound different.

I think low-volume listening volumes that don't trigger our acoustic reflex are defintely worth experimenting with. I found it to take a little bit of getting used to at first (but that sounds puny!), but like how we can get used to the signature of a headphone and let the music speak, I have found that HD 800 reveals it's prowess even more at slightly lower levels. When our ears are relaxed, we don't strain to hear anything and we reduce our chances for hearing loss. It's a win-win.

On the other hand, I find that other headphones, such as the LCD-2 work best at higher volumes when the acoustic reflex is activated. The LCD-2 sound muddy to my ears at low volumes and when I turn up, it seems to get clearer but at the expense of adding stress to my hearing, which I can do without.

May 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4,218 of 6,607
Quote:
I swear, the bass on the HD800s can be so primordial at times.  It's utterly satisfying.  Maybe it's the stage and the feeling the sound is bigger than it actually is, not sure what.  The LCD-2s, in comparison, can sound more flaccid in the same passage.

In case anyone has both headphones and wants to try the experiment, I'm watching instant Netflix, Battlestar Galactica (modern), Season 1: Episode 1.  These particular drums hit around 41:11-40:48.

I had an experience with the HD 800 last night that I would describe as primordial. Listening to drummer Dennis Chambers on Santana's new album, Shape Shifter, the bass extension of some of Dennis' drum hits extended so deep and sounded so natural that it felt that I was hearing them deep within my soul and not with my ears. I think that relaxing one's hearing plays a big part in allowing such super sonic caresses to occur.

May 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,220 of 6,607
Quote:
I don't really think about the HD800's bass extension because it's not a problem.

Me neither - I find it enjoyable to relax into it as opposed to my hearing resisting it. 

May 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #4,221 of 6,607
Quote:
Just out of interest, does anyone know what the earliest models (S/N's) of the HD 800 with the 'resolved' treble issues (which head-fiers have been posting about) are?

My SN is under 1k and i love what I'm hearing out fo the HD800 and no issues with the treble.

May 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #4,224 of 6,607
My first pair (14xx) had a bit of a spike, I have rolled tubes and upgraded my sources a bit though with my current pair (109xx) which seem smoother.

edit: But I never had them side by side.

May 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #4,225 of 6,607
Quote:
I think my HD 800 sounds great, moreso with the Black Dragon cable, though I'm interested in switching back to the stock to try that, too!

On another note, I just recently read this very interesting article from Tyll Hertsens which discusses about how at a certain volume we humans have an acoustic reflex that gets in the way of hearing recorded music clearly. I've recently experimented with listening at 70dB and everything definitely sounds much clearer now, especially with the HD 800 I'm using now. I no longer feel any hearing stress when listening, which is quite a discovery!

It also seems that when we turn up the HD 800, our acoustic reflex kicks in thereby adding more bass to the sound though at the expense of some detail coming from the headphone. This is another factor that can make our rigs and recordings sound different.

I think low-volume listening volumes that don't trigger our acoustic reflex are defintely worth experimenting with. I found it to take a little bit of getting used to at first (but that sounds puny!), but like how we can get used to the signature of a headphone and let the music speak, I have found that HD 800 reveals it's prowess even more at slightly lower levels. When our ears are relaxed, we don't strain to hear anything and we reduce our chances for hearing loss. It's a win-win.

On the other hand, I find that other headphones, such as the LCD-2 work best at higher volumes when the acoustic reflex is activated. The LCD-2 sound muddy to my ears at low volumes and when I turn up, it seems to get clearer but at the expense of adding stress to my hearing, which I can do without.

I've been enjoying my hd800 at around 70 db since I got them 2-3 years ago (when ever they first hit the streets). And I absolutely love it that way. Good for the ears, too!

May 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,226 of 6,607
Quote:
I actually consider the comfort of the HD800 to be much better than the HD650. However I had an issue with the HD650 as well as the HD600 where it would rub against my glasses and make a squeaking noise and is really annoying hearing that every time you move.

Me too. No glasses, but the 600s/650s just clamped too much for me and hurt after a while. HD800s are great, like almost nothing at all.

May 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #4,227 of 6,607
Quote:
Me too. No glasses, but the 600s/650s just clamped too much for me and hurt after a while. HD800s are great, like almost nothing at all.

Interestingly, HD800's actually stated to have more contact pressure than the HD650. The comfort is mainly due to the wide pads that distribute the pressure evenly on your face it seems. I loved the HD650 and would have loved to keep it, but no matter how much I bent the headband and worked it in, it never did become comfortable enough for me. I think the oval shaped nature of the cups/pads put too much pressure on my cheekbones...

HD800 I find extremely comfortable overall, except that I do think that it could use perhaps a little more padding on the microfibre pads.

May 21, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #4,229 of 6,607
I received my black dragon v2 today.  I'm not sure what to think of it.  It sounds different that is for sure.  It sounds airy to me.  I guess it's slightly darker, but it's hard to tell since the cable takes long enough to switch that it doesn't leave a lasting enough impression to really compare properly.  The airy highs aren't really tamed.  The best way I can describe it is that they are farther out there.  Airy.  

I'm sort of at a loss because my experience doesn't match a single description I've read about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back