Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #4,201 of 6,607
Quote:

I love the HD800's bass, but the LCD-2 (and especially LCD-3) have them beat with quantity and quality of bass IMO. I know there's more to it than a 50Hz square wave response, but you gotta admit, the LCD-x's can better reproduce this than the HD800s by a good margin.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, the HD800 does other things better (such as sound staging, detail retrieval.

what set up do you have? every set up I have tried the hd800 bass has always sounded more detailed, but could it be I was using the lcd2s with the wrong audio rig for them?

May 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #4,202 of 6,607
Quote:
what set up do you have? every set up I have tried the hd800 bass has always sounded more detailed, but could it be I was using the lcd2s with the wrong audio rig for them?

Depends on the particular bass frequency range.  I'd suggest a nice SS device w/ lots of current and low output Z for the LCDs.

May 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #4,204 of 6,607
HD800 bass is indeed primordial. That is a great word to use. Was having trouble describing it myself. HD800 doesn't wow you with volume, but when it digs deep for an explosion or something in a movie/game all you can say is 'holy ****, What was that'.

May 21, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #4,207 of 6,607
Quote:
I love those Sennheiser hooks; very attractive, and a perfect fit for the HD-800. I wish I had a few of those instead of the industrial-design KSH-01. It even comes in garish colors. But it's unrivaled in being able to display headphones flat or laterally:

"

Holy cow, those are GARGANTUAN.  I stand (okay, attach) corrected, those NERF holders are adaptable in the vert/horiz orientations.  

The thing going for the Senn-holders "might" be the adjustability in the "horizontal" orientation...but I think we need a comparo.  I've got an extra Senn holder, where am I sending it for the definitive review???  
atsmile.gif

May 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4,208 of 6,607
Quote:
I want to upgrade in the future from HD650, and the only thing that keeps me away from HD800 is the reviews about how the bass is lacking.

The HD 800 certainly does not lack in bass at all - it is flat all the way down to 16Hz and below.

It's a good natural bass that really goes all the way down lower than the human ear can hear.

What it does not have is a boosted bass or a boost in the upper bass that some headphones often have to fool the ear that a headphone has more bass then it really has (a design trick described to me by a loudspeaker designer many years ago).

If you like a heavy boosted bass, then look elsewhere, but f you want a good natural bass to hear he music as the recording engineer wanted then the HD 800 are great.

May 21, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #4,209 of 6,607
Thanks for all the imput so far, I am really leaning towards HD800 at the moment as I have a seller offering a brand new pair for 830€...
I really like the HD650 but I have to use a EQ to have satisfying bass response (beware Meridian preamp is not a bad quality EQ unit), I could certainly use that for HD800 but I need to know if the bass of HD800 are really better (extension, power) than the HD650.

I hate boomy bass, I am used to world class audiophile loudspeakers and know what good bass sounds like. I always disliked subwoofer for that reason, and have a pretty sensitive ear. Maybe my habbits of very deep guts shaking bass on world class loudspeaker had me left wanting for in headphones domain because you cannot really feel the deep bass as much as loudspeaker for physical reasons I dunno...

I understand very well that audezes have better bass, but I don't have enough amplification for it. My OTL is superb for HD650, hope it will equally drive my next purchase. Currently using LaFigaro 339 with Bendix 6080WB and Tung Sol 6SJ7GT mesh plates, and I love the sound. They are certainly, from what I heard from 339 user, not enough gain to drive LCD2.

Also I am looking at the comfort as one of primordial parameter in headphone. H650 is excellent at this...

Quote:

The HD 800 certainly does not lack in bass at all - it is flat all the way down to 16Hz and below.

It's a good natural bass that really goes all the way down lower than the human ear can hear.

What it does not have is a boosted bass or a boost in the upper bass that some headphones often have to fool the ear that a headphone has more bass then it really has (a design trick described to me by a loudspeaker designer many years ago).

If you like a heavy boosted bass, then look elsewhere, but f you want a good natural bass to hear he music as the recording engineer wanted then the HD 800 are great.

I

May 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #4,210 of 6,607
hd 800 has good bass, and is much comfier than the hd 650s even. 

May 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4,211 of 6,607
Comfort wise they're pretty much the same. Both are very light and neither will give you issues after hours and hours. 

As for the bass being discussed. For anything but Dubstep and a few styles of DnB I'm preferring the HD800's bass over the LCD 2. It's just so clean and wonderful. It just feeds you exactly what's supposed to be there.
Quote:
hd 800 has good bass, and is much comfier than the hd 650s even. 

May 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #4,212 of 6,607
I actually consider the comfort of the HD800 to be much better than the HD650. However I had an issue with the HD650 as well as the HD600 where it would rub against my glasses and make a squeaking noise and is really annoying hearing that every time you move.

May 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #4,213 of 6,607
Just out of interest, does anyone know what the earliest models (S/N's) of the HD 800 with the 'resolved' treble issues (which head-fiers have been posting about) are?

May 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #4,215 of 6,607
Just wondering - did these people you were talking about own them simultaneously?
And if so, how did they rule out normal random variation in the drivers, as opposed to the claimed systematic differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back