Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #4,246 of 6,607
Quote:
Wow I need to get more sleep... The other thing is how much value their products lose.  Tmoney had an Isabella for sale for ... a year? A couple thousand off or so with no takers.  I'm still not sure whether he sold it or not.

He finally sold it. I gave him so much crap about it too, but not enough to ask him how much he actually got for it.

I would appriciate the recommendations RWA Isabellina for Sennheiser HD800,

Actually i am thinking of upgrading my system with a more compact system if possible,
i came accros to a sale for RWA Isabellina, i have read some on web and match of this
system with hifiman or lcd2 headphones seem fantastic. Do you recomend this one
especially for Sennheiser HD 800 ? Waiting for your recommendations? Thanks..

I don't know how long you have been in this hobby, but most people tend to switch amps and gear over a short period of time. As Radio_head said, these things have extremely poor resale value and are hard to unload if it turns out you don't like it. I would advise that you start with something more affordable with a high resale value so you can establish a reference. If you can't make meets, then at least you can ask "I got X amp, how does Y amp sound in comparison."

I've heard the RWA unit on several occasions and while I initially liked it, my impressions of it went downhill over time as I was exposed to better gear. It's a dynamic sounding amp that's pleasant sounding and doesn't do anything outrightly offensive. But it's not very transparent and has had some bass control / flutter issues when I used it with the HD800s. (I don't know if this was related to a low battery charge.) The battery thing is just a gimmick and no better than a properly designed power supply from AC.

With HD800s, I think hyper resolution and micro-details. If you want the RWA with the HD800, you may be better off getting an HD600 or a Sony SA5000s + BassBoost CMOY. A lot of the planar (HEx / LCDx) guys like the RWA, less so with the HD800 crowd. It's probably comes down to sonic priorities. All that being said, some people really like it, some people really hate it. Personally, I wouldn't touch it, even for 65% off the list price.

May 23, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #4,247 of 6,607
Hi guys, need your help to choose an amp for my hd800. I have decided between woo wa2, dna sonett and ec super 7. All three amps get excellent ratings here so I am not sure which one will give me the best performance to cost ratio. Other recommendations are welcomed. Cheers! :)

May 23, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #4,248 of 6,607
I'm a fan of the S7 over the WA2 and Sonett for performance and tube rolling.  If I were to consider a DNA amp versus the S7 it would be the Stratus but that's obviously more expensive.  The S7 has a tremendous value/performance ratio.

May 23, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #4,250 of 6,607
I like the HD800 from my MBP. 
eek.gif

May 23, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #4,254 of 6,607
Hmm, okay, thanks for every reply explaining for driving hd800 with red wine audio isabellina,

As i understand the most drawback about getting a RWA isabellina is the price drop when selling.
Actually i may have a chance to get this device for 1800 US dollar approximately from a trusted person
who wants to make other upgrades.

The most charming part for me is the mobility of the device; cause it can be carried to bedroom or near
to tv unit when watching movies from bluray etc (which i enjoy watching movies with headphones)
And the system is irrelevant from cables, stand and other power problems etc.

Actually one of the recommendations is hd600 which i also wanted to get in past but i want to buy the headphone
one time, my intention is that. And i have read many things about sennheiser hd800 which is a very sophisticated,
detailed device which can make you feel you listen to live music or etc with a natural sound with near to recording
quality, so i know hd600 is also a reference headphone, its okay. But i think hd800 is my way.

My last question is; as i know (or as i read) hd 800 is a bright headphone where many people recommend wam
amphies with tubes or etc, but as i understand from RWA Isabelline it's not so transparent so i have curiosities about matching
them, one of my intention is to listen to this unit maybe lots of hours in one day, where both of them are recommended
for this, but how do they match? Need some more opinions :)

Thank you every one for detailed explanations for the situation.

May 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #4,256 of 6,607
Quote:
Would you prefer HD800 for dark deep sounding or Stax SR007
I'm looking forward to hear your opinion
Thanks HD800ers ;D

Have had both but not at the same time.  I think I prefer the HD800.

May 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #4,259 of 6,607
Quote:
Would you prefer HD800 for dark deep sounding or Stax SR007
I'm looking forward to hear your opinion
Thanks HD800ers ;D
Why ? And did you use each without amp ? cause I heard HD800 Is picky about Amp as "W4rior" said, And have you compared LCD2 To those two ? Thanks

IMO, the HD800 out of my dynamic rig goes a hair deeper in the bass than the SR007 out of my stat rig, but it's nothing I worry about or really even notice. The HD800 is hardly dark though. I do feel that the HD800 out of a great amp/DAC will keep up with or even surpass any 'stat out of a mediocre amp/DAC. But the 'stats pull start to pull away once you get the rest of the chain in place. Their presentations (HD800 vs SR007) are very different though.

The HD800 are not as picky as many would have you believe. But some effort to match them with the right amp is required. The LCD2 is a notch below the HD800, but you can generally get good to decent results with whatever amp/DAC you throw at it. 

May 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #4,260 of 6,607

Quote:
Hi guys, need your help to choose an amp for my hd800. I have decided between woo wa2, dna sonett and ec super 7. All three amps get excellent ratings here so I am not sure which one will give me the best performance to cost ratio. Other recommendations are welcomed. Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you are looking for the colored tube sound (lush, romantic, bloomy, euphonic), get the WA2. If you want transparency with near infinite options to tailor the tone to what you want, get the S7. The DNA is a little tubey - somewhere between the S7 and WA2, but much closer to the S7. I like Donald and consider him to be a friend, but the DNA doesn't compete with the S7. Now if the choice were between the DNA Stratus and S7, that would be a more difficult choice.

What source/amp you are currently using with your HD800 and do you have any complaints with how it sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back