Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 14, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,051 of 6,607
My feeling is that if you really like the way a particular pair of phones sound (meaning that actual pair, because there are differences among pairs), don't change a thing, and be grateful you have good sound,
an expensive and rare thing to achieve. Forget about any cosmetic issues.

May 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4,052 of 6,607
Quote:
My feeling is that if you really like the way a particular pair of phones sound (meaning that actual pair, because there are differences among pairs), don't change a thing, and be grateful you have good sound,
an expensive and rare thing to achieve. Forget about any cosmetic issues.

I think when cosmetic stuff starts to bother you, it means you are changing into a "true" audiophile, caring more about the equipment rather than the music. I may be affected

May 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4,055 of 6,607
A few early impressions (actually kind of wrote them on accident).
----
Listening to some vocal stuff is pretty magical on these. Each breath is so clear. It's strange and fantastic.

I've found a few recordings I wish were recorded a little more visceral with the bass, but if it's there it's in the cans. For instance...from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo OST. 'Is Your Love Strong Enough?' has some means bass and I don't feel it's lacking at all. 

I've also never heard Pianos sound this...natural. Key clicks and all. These are certainly more detailed than my LCD 2.2s. 

They have sounded great with almost everything. I find that the only thing holding them back is the recording more than anything else. 

EDIT: Like the box. They're bigger than I expected even from seeing on head photos. Girlfriend said 'They look so space age'. Gotta agree. They do look nice. Very comfortable (certainly more than the LCD 2). Cable reminded me of the D7000 cable at first but it's nicer and much less prone to tangling from what I can tell so far. 

May 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #4,056 of 6,607
I have the LCD-2 Rev 2 w/ Q Audio cable which brings about that visceral sound that I love. Everything has more impact compared to my HD800 w/ Black Dragon V2 cable. When it comes to the overall sound, the LCD-2 can't touch my HD800.

May 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,057 of 6,607
Quote:
I have the LCD-2 Rev 2 w/ Q Audio cable which brings about that visceral sound that I love. Everything has more impact compared to my HD800 w/ Black Dragon V2 cable. When it comes to the overall sound, the LCD-2 can't touch my HD800.

No doubt about it. LCD-2 suit modern music, but HD800 quality of sound and detailing thumps it down the drain.

May 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4,059 of 6,607
Quote:
No doubt about it. LCD-2 suit modern music, but HD800 quality of sound and detailing thumps it down the drain.

Some folks here own both LCD2 and HD800 to have the best of both worlds. Obviously each headphone will cater specifically to different recordings, presumably of different genres. Some music will sound better with the HD800 while certain music will sound better on LCD2(or T1 or any other headphones for that matter). I think the statement "thumps it down the drain" is a bit of an exaggeration. No offense. 

May 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4,060 of 6,607
Quote:

Now it all depends. Quality of sound is not quantifiable. We measure different aspects, but we cannot define quality in a subjective subject like sound.
HD800s have a beautiful detail rendition, and a sound staging like almost no other phones,... however the LCD2s offer many enjoyable features that the HD800s do not, and vice versa.

May 14, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #4,061 of 6,607
Quote:

Some folks here own both LCD2 and HD800 to have the best of both worlds. Obviously each headphone will cater specifically to different recordings, presumably of different genres. Some music will sound better with the HD800 while certain music will sound better on LCD2(or T1 or any other headphones for that matter). I think the statement "thumps it down the drain" is a bit of an exaggeration. No offense. 

I'm not so sure. I fall into the HD800 >> LCD-2 ~ T1 camp myself. Had all three (recabled) together for months and it was pretty clear to me. Just so it's clear, I'm someone who values transparency and technical performance greatly.

May 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4,062 of 6,607
Quote:

I'm not so sure. I fall into the HD800 >> LCD-2 ~ T1 camp myself. Had all three (recabled) together for months and it was pretty clear to me. Just so it's clear, I'm someone who values transparency and technical performance greatly.

Transparency, detailing and resolution the HD800 may be superior than the LCD2. But quality of sound is subjective. How do we define quality of sound? Warm, lush and organic are also qualities, and some may find the LCD2 and T1 to be better in these aspects than the HD800.

I think some statements have to be written in proper context as some have suggested.

May 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4,063 of 6,607
LCD2 has just as much technical superiorities from measurements as the HD800 as well-- if not more.  I think at that price point it's more about who just prefers which signature more.  HD800 was a bit thin for me when I listened to it but man was it spacious and crisp-- and very comfy.

May 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #4,064 of 6,607
Quality of sound depends on the sound stage, detailing, the frequency spectrum reproduction and neutrality. For me the HD800 hits the jack pot in all these categories and hence the quality of sound is immense. Now, I am not saying the LCD-2 has got "bad" or "worse" quality of sound, as someone mentioned here, no one headphone is for every music, sadly. However I enjoy my HD800 with everything, but I do enjoy rock & pop more with the LCD-2 because the soundstage doesn't assist in those genres in my taste.

May 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #4,065 of 6,607
Quote:
Now it all depends. Quality of sound is not quantifiable. We measure different aspects, but we cannot define quality in a subjective subject like sound.
HD800s have a beautiful detail rendition, and a sound staging like almost no other phones,... however the LCD2s offer many enjoyable features that the HD800s do not, and vice versa.

Good post.  It really does come down to how you look at things.  

Personally I think the weight & timbre the LCD-2s impart is an important part of sound in real life.  At the same time, so is the transparency and tact of the HD800s.  Neither checks all the boxes and becomes or supplants real life for me.  So I appreciate the things they get right, and I don't try to become an 'apologist' for what they don't.  I'm not even sure what the draw is in that line of behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back