Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4,037 of 6,607
Quote:
Yes, that's what I did with Amazon and I got a new pair however the HD800 get these  chips almost instanteneously when in use
frown.gif

U know I've been fearing that but my pair has been in use over more than a year and participated in 3 meets w/o any chips.  I almost thought they might have improved the paint process.  Then again, none of my gear seems to break including my old Sflo2 and Monster Turbines.

May 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4,038 of 6,607
Quote:
Windsor, what did you use to measure the db Levels, was it the output from the DAC? I tried using my app on my Nokia and it shows safe levels however I think its unreliable.

A few weeks ago I used the Ultimate Ears iPhone app, UE SPL (free) and placed it inside one of the headphones cups when music was playing in a quiet room; tonight I used the the level marking in the Lavry DA10 manual that corresponded to an output volume of ~80 dB. 

May 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #4,039 of 6,607
Yes, that's what I did with Amazon and I got a new pair however the HD800 get these  chips almost instanteneously when in use :frowning2:

U know I've been fearing that but my pair has been in use over more than a year and participated in 3 meets w/o any chips.  I almost thought they might have improved the paint process.  Then again, none of my gear seems to break including my old Sflo2 and Monster Turbines.

x2, my first early pair had a bit of paint rub (not chip) off an external corner, my new later pair has actually survived a couple of drops onto carpet and is none the worse for wear.

May 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #4,041 of 6,607
can someone show a picture of the chips? I have a early SN ~600 and don't see any of the chipping

May 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,042 of 6,607
Quote:
can someone show a picture of the chips? I have a early SN ~600 and don't see any of the chipping

If you have any you'll see black dots under areas where the silver paint is around the housing.

May 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4,043 of 6,607
Mine is black all around.. I must have lots of chipping! :frowning2:

May 14, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #4,048 of 6,607
Quote:
Got recently new HD 800 as well and I've been enjoying the sound quite a lot. Ignoring the horrible amount of sound leakage, my only nitpick is that on the left can there are two very small areas (1 mm and 2 - 3 mm wide) missing the paint, making the black frame visible. Part of me would like to return the cans for the fix - such a blemish on new ~1000€ headphones is intolerable! - but the other part of me has been so immersed in the sound that imagining of being away from that sensation for unknown period of time would be almost equally frustrating.

If they are new, send them back immediately for replacement.

Quote:
Yes, that's what I did with Amazon and I got a new pair however the HD800 get these  chips almost instanteneously when in use
frown.gif

Really?  I have had my HD 800 for over three years without a single chip.

May 14, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #4,049 of 6,607
Hell, if I'd get new pair in a next few days I'd gladly return it, but with the past experience in mind (in regards to "our" RMA service), that could easily take from two to four weeks until getting another pair – which could also have as minor paint chip on there or here, and the show continues. Don't know if it's worth the wait at all.

Speaking of different (or same) matter though, do all the cable connectors on HD 800 wiggle a bit if you move them by hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back