Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
May 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #4,021 of 6,607
I've just removed the mesh material in front of the driver on my pair. Curiously, I find the sound to be quite a bit better in this configuration - more refined, precise, a bit more air, and like a sense of veil was lifted. Is it your impression as well ? I also find it very slightly less sibilant as well (not by much, no miracle), but maybe a little thinner as well Removing it and using a Cardas cable (again, a very slight improvement in my opinion) makes it quite musical and enjoyable, even straight out of my Lavry DA11.

May 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #4,022 of 6,607

Some eye-candy for all HD 800 lovers! 
biggrin.gif

(I like my pictures black & white with dominant black level as I think it looks classy and fits well in this situation, sorry if you think they are too dark!)

May 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #4,025 of 6,607
Thumbs-up. :) The latter photo is top notch.

May 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,027 of 6,607
Got recently new HD 800 as well and I've been enjoying the sound quite a lot. Ignoring the horrible amount of sound leakage, my only nitpick is that on the left can there are two very small areas (1 mm and 2 - 3 mm wide) missing the paint, making the black frame visible. Part of me would like to return the cans for the fix - such a blemish on new ~1000€ headphones is intolerable! - but the other part of me has been so immersed in the sound that imagining of being away from that sensation for unknown period of time would be almost equally frustrating.

May 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4,028 of 6,607
Quote:
Got recently new HD 800 as well and I've been enjoying the sound quite a lot. Ignoring the horrible amount of sound leakage, my only nitpick is that on the left can there are two very small areas (1 mm and 2 - 3 mm wide) missing the paint, making the black frame visible. Part of me would like to return the cans for the fix - such a blemish on new ~1000€ headphones is intolerable! - but the other part of me has been so immersed in the sound that imagining of being away from that sensation for unknown period of time would be almost equally frustrating.

New w/ paint chips?!  It wasn't open box or returned?  Who was the seller?

May 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #4,029 of 6,607
^ "Supposedly" new from Finnish mail order store (Hobby Hall). How could I tell if it was previously used, like are the new boxes sealed with tape or anything that would immediately tell if the box has been opened before? As apart from this missing paint nothing seemed to indicate of that.

May 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4,031 of 6,607
May 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #4,035 of 6,607
Thanks to those of you who have assisted me with solutions to my ear-ringing with the HD 800. I've recently discovered something that may be of value to you, and I hope the following serves you well: 

When using the Resonessence Labs Invicta a few days ago to compare the HD 800, HD 700, HD 600, and LCD-2 rev.2 (more on that here) I noticed that the Invicta's volume level display was in terms of dB level i.e. -30.00 dB, -25.00 dB etc. I realized that I didn't actually know what that meant, so I had a Google and checked my Lavry manual which indicated which volume marking on the Lavry's LCD panel with which type of connection resulted in which volume, and even though I measured my HD 800's output dB level with a decibel meter, it seems that I may have been listening at a higher level than is considered safe.

Using the graph in the Lavry manual to find the volume setting for an output ~80 dB (probably assuming the recording has neither been boosted or cut in relation to calibrated 0 db intrinsic loudness) and try it, I realize that is considerably lower than I have been listening (at ~100 dB, and less) and the sonic pressure of the resulting sound of recordings via the headphones is much, much less, yet all the detail is still there. But the real bonus is that my ears don't have to work as hard and use energy to initiate their acoustic reflex (more on that here). In short music with headphones definitely sounds better and more enjoyable to me at low volumes. No more 'rock concert' headphone listening volumes for this guy! 

Now, with the HD 800 at low listening volumes the sound is much less fatiguing; the clarity is there, but the experience is much gentler on my ears (thank you) and there are NO harsh treble issues whatsoever. To my ears the HD 800 is truly shining now, and I'm considering removing the anaxilus mod to see what they sound like. 

To all HD 800 users reading this, if you haven't already, I highly recommend you investigate your listening volume, checking your equipment documentation as necessary. The HD 800 is almost wasted by using it too loudly, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's why so many people have been saying the HD 800's treble is harsh (it WILL hurt with the HD 800 or any other headphones when used too loudly!). To me quiet listening is the way to get the most out of the HD 800; it's made for clarity, and low-listening volumes clearly facilitate that.

I'm really grateful for those of you who suggested that the ringing in my ears was due to volume, and I'm grateful for being prompted to do some R&D on volume levels and safe listening. I've also learned about the benefits of learning about my equipment (manual-reading is most probably a wise time investment) and the implications of different settings. 

Here's to happy low-volume listening! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back