Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 16, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,831 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anybody listen with the HD800 to music genres like metal and electronic music..especially trance? I want to know how is your impressions of the HD800 in those departments because of all the talks of how they are rather neutral and "bass light".
I own the HD650 and think that they are nice with metal and electronic,but they do lack some punch IMO (but the bass can go very deep in the notes), I wondered if the HD800 have more punch.

Don't know about trance, but I listen to rock/metal. Personally the HD800 is my least favourite headphone for this genre. It does lack punch (more so than the HD650). The Denon 5000/7000 or JVC DX1000 would be my choice for a "punchy" sound with this type of music. The HD800 is best suited to "small scale", or "clean" and "delicate" types of music - female vocals, Jazz, etc. etc. IMHO, not screaming, heavily distorted guitar and pulsating bass lines.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,832 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about trance, but I listen to rock/metal. Personally the HD800 is my least favourite headphone for this genre. It does lack punch (more so than the HD650). The Denon 5000/7000 or JVC DX1000 would be my choice for a "punchy" sound with this type of music. The HD800 is best suited to "small scale", or "clean" and "delicate" types of music - female vocals, Jazz, etc. etc. IMHO, not screaming, heavily distorted guitar and pulsating bass lines.
wink.gif

thanks. you answer matches exactly what I read on this forum, but to tell the truth i am a little disapointed because lately i just started to really enjoy my hd650 and i thought of upgrading to the HD800 in order to get more accurate sound. also i when i auditioned them i thought they sounded pretty good, with much more energy than the HD650,maybe cause they are brighter.
anyway,it just sound strange that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my favourite types of music with them. aren't the "most accurate" headphone in the world should play all types of music right ? it maked no sense that they are only suited for jazz,classical and acoustic music etc.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #1,833 of 6,607
Quote:

anyway,it just sound strange that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my favourite types of music with them. aren't the "most accurate" headphone in the world should play all types of music right ? it maked no sense that they are only suited for jazz,classical and acoustic music etc.

Well, don't forget I'm just stating an opinion - my opinion. There are probably plenty of people out there who think the HD800 is a great headphone for rock/metal. I prefer a more "musical" interpretation. Sometimes accurate isn't the best thing for some of the "poor" recordings I listen to. I want to be pinned to the wall by the raw power of a good metal track, not have the music stripped bare, dissected and poor recording/mastering exposed. Sometimes the HD800 is too accurate for it's own good.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #1,834 of 6,607
Quote:

Well, don't forget I'm just stating an opinion - my opinion. There are probably plenty of people out there who think the HD800 is a great headphone for rock/metal. I prefer a more "musical" interpretation. Sometimes accurate isn't the best thing for some of the "poor" recordings I listen to. I want to be pinned to the wall by the raw power of a good metal track, not have the music stripped bare, dissected and poor recording/mastering exposed. Sometimes the HD800 is too accurate for it's own good.

thanks,I know what you are saying. and,as a owner of RS1 and D5000 i completely understand. your opinion also matches a lot of others in head-fi, and that's something i can't ignore. it's like everybody is admitting that metal music and other "colourd" music genres should not be played in accurate headphones,but more couloured ones...like grado and denon etc.
it may be true...

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,835 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjoern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I see in this picture is the reason why I bought HD800 today. The DNA Sonett and Sennheiser combo is very good indeed. Couldn't resist... Source was a Nagra CDC.
At home I have a MF V8. Something tells me that I will go back and get myself a Sonett. I was told they come in a 240V version these days.

Anyway, this is the reason why the Sonett is named Sonett and why it is blue. Donald is driving one of these:
Phlog_Saab_Sonett_iii_front.jpg

Whatever you think of SAAB these days, inspiring Donald to design the Sonett was a good thing, don't you think?

Cool. Sonett is very very good...I see one in your future.
icon10.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #1,836 of 6,607
Quote:

thanks,I know what you are saying. and,as a owner of RS1 and D5000 i completely understand. your opinion also matches a lot of others in head-fi, and that's something i can't ignore. it's like everybody is admitting that metal music and other "colourd" music genres should not be played in accurate headphones,but more couloured ones...like grado and denon etc.
it may be true...

I am representing another opinion...
When I audition phones (and other Hi-Fi stuff) I usually bring music like TOOL and QOTSA becuse it is heavy and quite demanding and complex music. It has heavy bass, distorted guitars etc. I think that HD800 really shines also with this kind of music. It doesn't need to accentuate these "coloured features" of the music any more than is already there. HD800 is accurate and is representing "coloured" music coloured if that is the way it was produced and recorded. It certainly doesn't lack bass or punch, no worries. But it way not be the kind you prefer, it doesn't boost...
The amp is also important. It shone with the DNA, but was boring and uninvolving with Lehmann Black Cube. There are many tips on matching amps here on the forum.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #1,837 of 6,607
Quote:

I am representing another opinion...
When I audition phones (and other Hi-Fi stuff) I usually bring music like TOOL and QOTSA becuse it is heavy and quite demanding and complex music. It has heavy bass, distorted guitars etc. I think that HD800 really shines also with this kind of music. It doesn't need to accentuate these "coloured features" of the music any more than is already there. HD800 is accurate and is representing "coloured" music coloured if that is the way it was produced and recorded. It certainly doesn't lack bass or punch, no worries. But it way not be the kind you prefer, it doesn't boost...

Now that's interesting and I respect your opinion. Undertow is one of my favourite albums of all time. But the HD800 so strips this bare, (even from a vinyl source), there is no warmth and although like you say it doesn't lack bass, IMHO it is nowhere near as warm, rich or punchy as either the real thing or hearing the recording through another phone. What I mean is that the bass sound (as recorded) has "tone". The HD800 seems to strip the "tone" away and makes it sound sterile.

Quote:

The amp is also important. It shone with the DNA, but was boring and uninvolving with Lehmann Black Cube. There are many tips on matching amps here on the forum.

I've listened to the HD800 with many amps. Even though it is best suited to a "warm" tube amp, it's the "tone" thing I have a problem with and is a "trait" of the HD800. No amount of fiddling with cables or amps can get that back. (I know exactly where you are coming from with the DNA Sonnet. Although I've not heard that exact amp, the 6H30 is my favourite tube to use with the HD800, parafeed, of course.
wink.gif
)

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,838 of 6,607
Quote:

Now that's interesting and I respect your opinion. Undertow is one of my favourite albums of all time. But the HD800 so strips this bare, (even from a vinyl source), there is no warmth and although like you say it doesn't lack bass, IMHO it is nowhere near as warm, rich or punchy as either the real thing or hearing the recording through another phone. What I mean is that the bass sound (as recorded) has "tone". The HD800 seems to strip the "tone" away and makes it sound sterile.

I've listened to the HD800 with many amps. Even though it is best suited to a "warm" tube amp, it's the "tone" thing I have a problem with and is a "trait" of the HD800. No amount of fiddling with cables or amps can get that back. (I know exactly where you are coming from with the DNA Sonnet. Although I've not heard that exact amp, the 6H30 is my favourite tube to use with the HD800, parafeed, of course.
wink.gif
)

Yes, a matter of opinion and taste. We probably hear (almost) the same thing, but we like it differently. And I guess, from what I read, that plonter may prefer something "warmer". T1 maybe? It is said to be as detailed as, but punchier than HD800, if I understood what I read correctly.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,839 of 6,607
Quote:

Yes, a matter of opinion and taste. We probably hear (almost) the same thing, but we like it differently. And I guess, from what I read, that plonter may prefer something "warmer". T1 maybe? It is said to be as detailed as, but punchier than HD800, if I understood what I read correctly.

let's see... i am looking to upgrade to a more high end headphones than the ones i got. the main contenders are: PS1000 and HD800. the HD800 is relatively less expensive than the PS1000, and consider better in all aspects,so it worth for me to "grow up" on their neutral sound.
in the other hand,the PS1000 is more "fun" sounding and suitable for my music tastes.
in the meantime, i am enjoying my HD650 with my rather warm earmax pro tube amp. the sound is very lush and warm, and fun to listen to.
thanks for the responses guys. I will try to audition the HD800 one more time before deciding, and hope to try the PS1000 also.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,841 of 6,607
Quote:

let's see... i am looking to upgrade to a more high end headphones than the ones i got. the main contenders are: PS1000 and HD800. the HD800 is relatively less expensive than the PS1000, and consider better in all aspects,so it worth for me to "grow up" on their neutral sound.
in the other hand,the PS1000 is more "fun" sounding and suitable for my music tastes.
in the meantime, i am enjoying my HD650 with my rather warm earmax pro tube amp. the sound is very lush and warm, and fun to listen to.
thanks for the responses guys. I will try to audition the HD800 one more time before deciding, and hope to try the PS1000 also.

HD650 + Earmax Pro is VERY different from HD800 + whatever amp.
If you like the first combination I don't see you liking the HD800 very much.

Jan 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #1,843 of 6,607
Anyway, this is the reason why the Sonett is named Sonett and why it is blue. Donald is driving one of these:
Phlog_Saab_Sonett_iii_front.jpg

Whatever you think of SAAB these days, inspiring Donald to design the Sonett was a good thing, don't you think?[/QUOTE]

That's a beautifull car
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

I went DNA's website. He makes interesting speaker system too. Any one heard them?

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,844 of 6,607
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plonter why aren't you considering the T1,i guess it'll be more of your liking than the HD800,because you seem to like "coloured" sound rather than accurate,plus they're cheaper than the the HD800.

Sorry dude, the the T1s are not coloured? They are pretty darn neutral!

Feb 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,845 of 6,607
Since this is an appreciation thread, I will chime in & say I love my pair. My mid-fi cans have had little head-time ever since I got these music wise. S/N 02xxx.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back