Sennheiser HD700 Review
Jun 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 233
It all depends on the setup because on my setup HE-400 had deep high quality well controlled bass (this is how i discovered what i was missing all this time having HD650) but they were unable to give me treble of HD650 unless i was listening to the recording whose level was set too high. I also heard my HD650 and D7000 on several setups at the recent NYC meet and only with Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 I was able to hear deep bass HE-400 and D5000/7000 have but not with O2, CTH, Burson 160D and multi thousands dollar 2pcs Woo Audio amp. Looks like HD700 as picky as HD650 for twice the price

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #17 of 233
Purrin and LFF:  Nice write-up.  It is good to have the things we see in FR plots and CSD's so well related to what we hear.  I is also nice to see the comparison with other phones.  I look forward to your getting the HE 400's and hearing your thoughts.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 233
I'd like to thank you guys for this incredibly informative review. I've been meaning to pull the trigger on the HE400 for some time now, and this might just tip me over the edge. Well, that and the Koss ESP-950. I absolutely love how you set up the review, with direct comparisons and more objectivity than many other reviews and all. Really, I appreciate it. 
beyersmile.png

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 233
Quote:
Have you tried more then one pair of T1?

At this point I believe myself, LFF and Purrin have tried more than 5 different T1s.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 233
Quote:
I do not agree with your comment regarding the DT990/600 having better treble ( or not as hot ) compare to the T1. I owned the DT990/600 before owning the T1 and they were pretty hot to me with recess midrange. Have you tried more then one pair of T1? I personally tried two different pair and both on a WA2 and they both have very smooth treble.

I have measured two pairs and listened to five others. Of out the seven, three of them sounded decently well balanced (heard on 8/2010, 2/2011, and 5/2012) and one sounded thin and horrible (9/2012), one sounded very trebly (10/2012), and two were in-between (2/2012). And yes, I do keep notes on all this stuff. :) Even if it's subjective impressions. Anaxilus can corroborate my listening impressions for the five pairs after the 2/2011 dates since he heard the same pairs.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 233
Quote:

I have measured two pairs and listened to five others. Of out the seven, three of them sounded decently well balanced (heard on 8/2010, 2/2011, and 5/2012) and one sounded thin and horrible (9/2012), one sounded very trebly (10/2012), and two were in-between (2/2012). And yes, I do keep notes on all this stuff. :) Even if it's subjective impressions. Anaxilus can corroborate my listening impressions for the five pairs after the 2/2011 dates since he heard the same pairs.

I won't even comment as I find the T1's to be an EPIC FAIL. If they cost $200, I might consider giving them an "ok" but at the price the T1 sells for....EPIC FAIL....in that sense, Sennheiser is perfectly competing with the T1. I wonder who will win the EPIC FAIL in the scheme of things.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #23 of 233
I wasn't remotely interested in the HD700, but I still read the review in its entirety and found it extremely well written and informative.  Definitely the best review I've ever read on head-fi.  Bravo.

Hopefully others follow suit.

Regarding the T1/DT990-600 comparison, I found the T1s bass much better controlled and enjoyable, and I would agree the treble is slightly hotter/peakier, but only on some songs.  For jazz, classical, acoustic and vocal music, my T1 is a clear and obvious winner in my humble opinion.  For more modern music, the DT990 was a more enjoyable listen over extended periods for sure, but I enjoy the mid-range Senns more for those styles anyways.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #24 of 233
Quote:
Purrin and LFF:  Nice write-up.  It is good to have the things we see in FR plots and CSD's so well related to what we hear.  I is also nice to see the comparison with other phones.

+1. Very well done Purrin and LFF for a really good balance of subjective, objective and comparative testing.

Did you do the measurements before or after making the listening observations?
It could be argued that expectation bias would occur if you saw the measurements first.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #26 of 233
Quote:

+1. Very well done Purrin and LFF for a really good balance of subjective, objective and comparative testing.

Did you do the measurements before or after making the listening observations?
It could be argued that expectation bias would occur if you saw the measurements first.

We always listen and put down some notes BEFORE any measurements are taken. We also don't share our notes until after everything is done to avoid peer influence.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #27 of 233
Well my HD700 sound fekin great, I'd recommend anyone who wants to make an informed opinion on them, go listen to a well run in pair. Forum reviews are nothing but one persons subjective opinion.  Also; I'd say they take 50+hours use to really open up.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #28 of 233
Quote:
Well my HD700 sound fekin great, I'd recommend anyone who wants to make an informed opinion on them, go listen to a well run in pair. Forum reviews are nothing but one persons subjective opinion.  Also; I'd say they take 50+hours use to really open up.

Yeah, no contest, this post is way more useful than the torching review that Purrin and LFF wrote, lol :wink:. You have a point though, there are maybe one or two fellows on this board that do appreciate the Edition 10's fine tonal qualities so - as they say - to each his own and glad you found yours!

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #29 of 233
[size=10pt]I also find it quite amusing how people like to comment on sound quality yet they don't mention a comparative or the equipment used to make the final opinion on how they sound; makes some people look a little bitter that they can't afford to drop $1000 on some cans
duggehsmile.png
. I find them to sound stunning; just as good as my main speakers.
[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]My system is: Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC/Weiss DAC202u - ATC SCM25A Pros. FLAC digits are supplied via USB from JRiver MC17 :) [/size]

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #30 of 233
Quote:
[size=10pt]I also find it quite amusing how people like to comment on sound quality yet they don't mention a comparative or the equipment used to make the final opinion on how they sound; makes some people look a little bitter that they can't afford drop $1000 on some cans :wink:. I find them to sound stunning; just as good as my main speakers.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]My system is: Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC/Weiss DAC202 - ATC SCM25A Pros. FLAC digits are supplied via USB from JRiver MC17 :) [/size]

LOL! Indeed...

I find it comical how some people fail to check profiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back