Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #9,016 of 9,628
Im sure it’s “there”. I just don’t hear it at listening levels I’m comfortable with. I do hear it on the 560s, 650 etc. Maybe mine is not right..
Interesting, I've found the 660S produce more apparent base than the HD650/6XX????..maybe it's the the Bryston BHA-1 Headamp, but then you've been around here longer than I have. :thinking:
You may be a candidate for the the Sennheiser HD630VB if you can find a pair, more clarity than the HD600 series with great full base extension (Audeze territory) and the fact one can dial in the base makes it IMHO a great low level listener. It's a closed back so does not have the soundstaging width or layering of the D660S but I don't seem to miss those attributes at all while listening. (Mine have been slightly modded with sheepskin pads and felt inserts)
630 Sheepskin.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #9,017 of 9,628
Interesting, I've found the 660S produce more apparent base than the HD650/6XX????..maybe it's the the Bryston BHA-1 Headamp, but then you've been around here longer than I have. :thinking:
You may be a candidate for the the Sennheiser HD630VB if you can find a pair, more clarity than the HD600 series with great full base extension (Audeze territory) and the fact one can dial in the base makes it IMHO a great low level listener. It's a closed back so does not have the soundstaging width or layering of the D660S but I don't seem to miss those attributes at all while listening. (Mine have been slightly modded with sheepskin pads and felt inserts)
I hear a hump around 100-125hZ that gives an impression of “more” bass, compared the the other Sennheisers, which are relatively smooth with a gradual roll off below about 70hZ. And when I do a low frequency sweep tone through them, it’s very quiet beginning at about 30hZ, then gets louder quite quickly around 100 and above. It’s kind of like the opposite to something like the AKG K371.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #9,018 of 9,628
...........:thinking:
You may be a candidate for the the Sennheiser HD630VB if you can find a pair,............
Just remembered you have the HD630's close cousin...the NDH20s.
I hear a hump around 100-125hZ that gives an impression of “more” bass, compared the the other Senn.......
.....quite possible...probably comes down to ones music and listening habits.

I love the midrange of the 20 but I sometimes find the bass a bit strong, .........
Now I'm curious as to where the NHD20's base is in regards to the HD630's dial placement? (Should say I've compared them but not under ideal conditions and far from it.)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #9,019 of 9,628
I was listening to one of Dr Chesky's binaural demo CDs today with the Neumann NDH 30. I have listened to binaural recordings before with the HD 650 but with the NDH 30 the term "natural sound" takes a whole new meaning. Firstly, these recordings exploit a great ability of this headphone: a very precise positioning of the instruments in a wide soundstage. You can virtually point to the exact direction of each instrument and also feel its distance. The fantastically natural tonal balance of the headphone makes for a tremendously life-like experience! And when it comes to instruments with very low frequency content, as with a big church organ, the difference from the HD 650 experience is vast! This very deep bass is unexpectedly detailed and controlled but also very powerful - to a scary level. I have never heard a church organ with this level of authority and power with headphones or loudspeakers. The impressive linearity of the NDH 30 allows all the resonances of the sound, coming from all areas of the church, to be very distinctive and full of slowly decaying harmonics. They are not at the slightest degree covered by boomy or uncontrolled bass. What an experience!
Another impressive advantage of the NDH 30 is the total absence of sibilance or annoying high frequencies. The HF content is so naturally balanced that well recorded voices have the most natural "S" and "T" that I have ever heard. Cymbals and wind instruments are never piercing but also maintain all of their harmonics. And yet without treble exaggeration the NDH 30 is extremally detailed and revealing - significantly more than the HD 650. This revealing character is emphasized by their great speed which is very obvious with guitars piano and drums.
When I was in quest for a successor for my beloved HD 650 (I have two fine pairs, from 2003 and 2021) I never thought that I would find something so much better in every aspect - for about twice its price. I was prepared to eventually pay (much) more than 1000 euros to get a headphone with significantly better sound. Luckily, I was able to listen carefully to the NDH 30 before ordering only to find that it exceeded my expectations. It made me start listening much of my music collection again, along with many new things for hours each day. In the end I don't consider the NHD 30 simply a successor for the HD 650 but a headphone of an entirely different, very high level. (It is a Neumann reference studio headphone after all).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #9,020 of 9,628
I have been playing with Sundara's since they're the newest toy I got. At first I was completely blown away with them. Especially at their clear, clean tone (which contrasts with the darker 660s). But the more I listen they began to sound very artificial in timbre. More unfortunately, they're incredibly uncomfortable. My neck begins to hurt after an hour of wearing them. Coming back to the 660s they are incredible comfortable in sound and physical feel to my ears. It's hard to explain.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #9,021 of 9,628
So I received both hd600 and hd660s from Sennheiser and Fiio k5 pro ESS. One thing I’m trying to understand is when comparing the sound, hd 600 is showing less compressed sound with quiet sounds sounding quietly and loud sounds sounding loud… hd660s they appear to be more close in amplitude or is just my head/ears. Besides that what caught me at first was image and mids on 660s are like pillows to the ear is just so sweet. Hd600 appear to be more one line image…

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #9,022 of 9,628
I was listening to one of Dr Chesky's binaural demo CDs today with the Neumann NDH 30. I have listened to binaural recordings before with the HD 650 but with the NDH 30 the term "natural sound" takes a whole new meaning. Firstly, these recordings exploit a great ability of this headphone: a very precise positioning of the instruments in a wide soundstage. You can virtually point to the exact direction of each instrument and also feel its distance. The fantastically natural tonal balance of the headphone makes for a tremendously life-like experience! And when it comes to instruments with very low frequency content, as with a big church organ, the difference from the HD 650 experience is vast! This very deep bass is unexpectedly detailed and controlled but also very powerful - to a scary level. I have never heard a church organ with this level of authority and power with headphones or loudspeakers. The impressive linearity of the NDH 30 allows all the resonances of the sound, coming from all areas of the church, to be very distinctive and full of slowly decaying harmonics. They are not at the slightest degree covered by boomy or uncontrolled bass. What an experience!
Another impressive advantage of the NDH 30 is the total absence of sibilance or annoying high frequencies. The HF content is so naturally balanced that well recorded voices have the most natural "S" and "T" that I have ever heard. Cymbals and wind instruments are never piercing but also maintain all of their harmonics. And yet without treble exaggeration the NDH 30 is extremally detailed and revealing - significantly more than the HD 650. This revealing character is emphasized by their great speed which is very obvious with guitars piano and drums.
When I was in quest for a successor for my beloved HD 650 (I have two fine pairs, from 2003 and 2021) I never thought that I would find something so much better in every aspect - for about twice its price. I was prepared to eventually pay (much) more than 1000 euros to get a headphone with significantly better sound. Luckily, I was able to listen carefully to the NDH 30 before ordering only to find that it exceeded my expectations. It made me start listening much of my music collection again, along with many new things for hours each day. In the end I don't consider the NHD 30 simply a successor for the HD 650 but a headphone of an entirely different, very high level. (It is a Neumann reference studio headphone after all).
I am wondering if this is the result of putting that 38mm Sennheiser driver in a solid housing and not the typical light plastic HD xxx one.

Dec 29, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #9,023 of 9,628
I am wondering if this is the result of putting that 38mm Sennheiser driver in a solid housing and not the typical light plastic HD xxx one.
It is obvious that its very solid and heavier enclosure is a key part of its engineering. About the 38mm Sennheiser driver I have read many conflicting speculations but I cannot conclude if a pre-existing model is used for the NDH 30. I think that the various numbers in front and at the back of the Sennheiser drivers do not designate a driver but small driver parts. However, this driver is not of the well known "duofoil" design that is used on other middle range Sennheiser headphones but a new single-foil design, at least according to Neumann. Whatever it is, the result is an impressively more transparent and detailed sound than that achieved in the successful HD 6** family.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #9,024 of 9,628
Except for the drivers, completely different headphones as you are well aware of...produced for a different audience and application...almost nonsencisal to compare them IMHO.

Dec 29, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #9,025 of 9,628
........ However, this driver is not of the well known "duofoil" design that is used on other middle range Sennheiser headphones but a new single-foil design, at least according to Neumann. Whatever it is, the result is an impressively more transparent and detailed sound than that achieved in the successful HD 6** family.
Not too sure that it is "impressively more transparent and detailed", they do have a more neutral coloured presentation, similar to the HD630 they originated from, but also being different from them as they are opened back and as mentioned having the single foil design, although the mechanics are the same. Interestingly when comparing the Senn HD630, Neumann NDH20 and the NDH30 side by side (not under ideal conditions) the Sennheiser HD630 were the livelier and clearer pair and the Neumanns being darker. :thinking:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-20.898630/page-50#post-17248316

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #9,026 of 9,628
Not too sure that it is "impressively more transparent and detailed", they do have a more neutral coloured presentation, similar to the HD630 they originated from, but also being different from them as they are opened back and as mentioned having the single foil design, although the mechanics are the same. Interestingly when comparing the Senn HD630, Neumann NDH20 and the NDH30 side by side (not under ideal conditions) the Sennheiser HD630 were the livelier and clearer pair and the Neumanns being darker. :thinking:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/neumann-ndh-20.898630/page-50#post-17248316
I haven't listened to either the NDH 20 or the HD 630 but I can understand what you mean. Judging from the frequency response of the HD630, it was a rather very unbalanced headphone with emphasized bass and peaky treble. This gives undoubtedly a "livelier" character, impressive in short term listening but unnatural and potentially fatiguing for longer or critical listening. Thankfully the NDH 30 has very even extensions up to the spectrum edges, though being 53 years old I wouldn't mind 1-2 dB more elevated treble. As for "impressively more transparent and detailed" than the HD 650, this is exactly what I hear otherwise I would phrased it differently.

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #9,027 of 9,628
I haven't listened to either the NDH 20 or the HD 630 but I can understand what you mean. Judging from the frequency response of the HD630, it was a rather very unbalanced headphone with emphasized bass and peaky treble. This gives undoubtedly a "livelier" character........
My whole reason for attempting the mods on the HD630VB, although the sound signature was probably what Senn felt was the bst compromise for a headphone made for on the go and possibly used in louder, noisier environments, anyway the felt mod evens out the highs and the variable base speaks for itself. : )
IMG_5969.jpg
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...irst-impressions.766311/page-48#post-17244689
"Tonally the sound is now more in line with my HD660S, but clearer and with it's inherent prodigious base extension and body the sound field is rather large, reminiscent of the Audeze LCD-2 but with much better upper mid-range and treble extension."

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #9,028 of 9,628
630 Sheepskin.jpg

That leather looks dope Rob. Is the clarity you speak of result in more realism and musicality overall with that bass? With vocal naturalness being undisturbed?

These were supposed to beats the Beats from what I remember XD

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #9,029 of 9,628
That leather looks dope Rob. Is the clarity you speak of result in more realism and musicality overall with that bass? With vocal naturalness being undisturbed?

These were supposed to beats the Beats from what I remember XD
The HD630VB are an odd phone and I mean that in good way, they're not about realism or naturalism...I leave that up to the HD660S and HD800S....they're more like stepping out on to the dance hall and being entertained...just leave the audiophilisms at home and enjoy the music. So yes in some ways "to beats the Beats", just better and I do enjoy besides EDM listening to Jazz and Classical on them. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #9,030 of 9,628
Does everyone's HD 660s cable seem to be held on by friction instead of "clicking" into place? It seems like there should be some sort of clicking sound or feel when you plug the cable in.

I also bought the official sennheiser short cable and they fit so tight, it feels like I'm really having to force it very hard for it to go all the way in. Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back