Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 27, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #8,807 of 9,618
Oddly.. cannot say I've ever experienced anything resembling harshness from the 660S, HD800S yes....
......powered off an amp, phone.?
Contrary to popular belief I do believe some phones take a bit to loosen up after sitting unused for a long time and especially new, could take a few tracks to hours...some say days or even weeks, but I wouldn't go that far.
I've gotten into the habit of playing all new phones at moderate to higher volume stuck under a cushion or in a drawer for a 1/2 a day or so. :L3000:

Going via the Schiit Modi 3+ / Magni Heresy. Certainly not a deal breaker, and it’s only the odd track where it pops up (like Can’t Go Back by Fleetwood Mac - the remaster which I think has a reputation for being a bright record). Likely also because of having listened to the RS1x earlier in the day which has more mellow treble. Regardless it hasn’t dampened my overall enjoyment thus far.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #8,808 of 9,618
Going via the Schiit Modi 3+ / Magni Heresy. Certainly not a deal breaker, and it’s only the odd track where it pops up (like Can’t Go Back by Fleetwood Mac - the remaster which I think has a reputation for being a bright record). Likely also because of having listened to the RS1x earlier in the day which has more mellow treble. Regardless it hasn’t dampened my overall enjoyment thus far.
Looks like a fine rig....
..."listened to the RS1x earlier in the day which has more mellow treble", haven't owned Grado for a few years now but would never have called them mellow, may have to revisit some day....I'll check "Can't go Back"...although my last Fleetwood Mac album was Rumours in 1977. lol

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #8,809 of 9,618
^^^ I remember paying $600 a few yrs ago. $249.97 is a great price!

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #8,810 of 9,618
Just got my 660s in. Let it burn in for a few hours as it sounded very muddy out of the box. Definitely opened up just in a few hours. I'm a long time Grado fan. I was huge into rock when I was younger, so Grados were my thing. Over time my music tastes have expanded quite a bit so I thought it was time to open up my headphone collection. Now here's the review;

First thing I notice is how different the sound is than I'm used to. Grados are very treble heavy, while the Sennheiser 660s live in lower end of the frequency range. Beautifully detailed. The bass is tight and punchy, although not as deep as I'd like. One thing I've always loved about Grados is their bass goes very deep-- though it's a bit anemic overall. I was hoping for a little bit more of that, but nonetheless I really enjoy them. Bass is very well defined, I can make out details I couldn't before. Mid range is light and airy, but clear. Not grating or tiring. The high end is nice, obviously not the star of the show but it's the perfect amount of subtle. A little underemphasized even-- but I think it actually goes well with the dominating bass. And the soundstage-- it's actually got soundstage! Coming from grados with their almost nonexistant soundstage, it's a pleasant change of pace.

I'm sure the sound will improve as I burn this in. It's only been maybe 6 hours. I'm also just running this on a small cheap usb amp/dac. I have a tube amp coming in next week, a xduoo ta-26 that should drive these a little better. excited to see where it goes!

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #8,811 of 9,618
Just got my 660s in. Let it burn in for a few hours as it sounded very muddy out of the box. Definitely opened up just in a few hours. I'm a long time Grado fan. I was huge into rock when I was younger, so Grados were my thing. Over time my music tastes have expanded quite a bit so I thought it was time to open up my headphone collection. Now here's the review;

First thing I notice is how different the sound is than I'm used to. Grados are very treble heavy, while the Sennheiser 660s live in lower end of the frequency range. Beautifully detailed. The bass is tight and punchy, although not as deep as I'd like. One thing I've always loved about Grados is their bass goes very deep-- though it's a bit anemic overall. I was hoping for a little bit more of that, but nonetheless I really enjoy them. Bass is very well defined, I can make out details I couldn't before. Mid range is light and airy, but clear. Not grating or tiring. The high end is nice, obviously not the star of the show but it's the perfect amount of subtle. A little underemphasized even-- but I think it actually goes well with the dominating bass. And the soundstage-- it's actually got soundstage! Coming from grados with their almost nonexistant soundstage, it's a pleasant change of pace.

I'm sure the sound will improve as I burn this in. It's only been maybe 6 hours. I'm also just running this on a small cheap usb amp/dac. I have a tube amp coming in next week, a xduoo ta-26 that should drive these a little better. excited to see where it goes!
The Xduoo TA-26 will be a tremendous match to HD660s!

Oct 28, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #8,812 of 9,618
Just got my 660s in. Let it burn in for a few hours as it sounded very muddy out of the box. Definitely opened up just in a few hours. I'm a long time Grado fan.........
At one time thought I was done, AKG K501, Sennheiser HD580 (with HD600 grills) and Grado SR325s. Now sitting with AKG and Sennheiser flagships, K872s and HD800S, still have fond memories but I've left Grado far behind...they were fun and an iconic headphone but their R&D is basically non existent and time doesn't stand still.....they will continue to have their followers and I'll just leave it at that. Hope you enjoy your Senns.
Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 8.34.51 AM.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #8,813 of 9,618
At one time thought I was done, AKG K501, Sennheiser HD580 (with HD600 grills) and Grado SR325s. Now sitting with AKG and Sennheiser flagships, K872s and HD800S, still have fond memories but I've left Grado far behind...they were fun and an iconic headphone but their R&D is basically non existent and time doesn't stand still.....they will continue to have their followers and I'll just leave it at that. Hope you enjoy your Senns.
Listened today to Austrian Audio HI-X65 - HD660s sound royally refined compared to HI-X65!
So - the 660s is at a fairly high sound level despite other problems.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #8,814 of 9,618
I’ve noticed that about Grado, don’t have much experience with them though. Sadly AKG is pretty much dead unless Samsung decides to develop more high end stuff based off/improved from AKG tech/patents. So of the classic trio it’s just Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic making anything new currently.

If there is a main complaint I have about the HD 660 S it’s the comfort for me, I forgot how iffy the headband comfort on the HD 6xx series are for me and my ears have always preferred round earcups from a comfort perspective. The T1.3 and R70X spoiled me in terms of comfort. Comfort is important for me as I do very long listening sessions.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #8,815 of 9,618
Is anyone using portable dac/amps? I have an es100, but decided to nab the Qudelix 5K as well. Seems like the 660s should be a perfect fit given the higher sensitivity/lower impedance vs other cans.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #8,816 of 9,618
Listened today to Austrian Audio HI-X65 - HD660s sound royally refined compared to HI-X65!
So - the 660s is at a fairly high sound level despite other problems.
Interesting...I was hoping the X65 might be the poor man's K812....hhhhmm:triportsad:
My Akg K872's (closed back) are spending a disproportionate time on my head these days and I still might consider getting the K812s. Compared to my HD660 and 800S the AKG are like looking though a super clear window or stepping right into the studio. The Senns offer a different aural perspective at arms length so enjoy having all 3 around.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #8,817 of 9,618
Interesting...I was hoping the X65 might be the poor man's K812....hhhhmm:triportsad:
My Akg K872's (closed back) are spending a disproportionate time on my head these days and I still might consider getting the K812s. Compared to my HD660 and 800S the AKG are like looking though a super clear window or stepping right into the studio. The Senns offer a different aural perspective at arms length so enjoy having all 3 around.
K872 / K812 - Designed for high fidelity studio work. This is the highest segment in terms of quality and price.
Yes, it should be cleaner than the HD660 and 800S. But the HD660 and 800S are designed for high comfort listening to music for a long time. And they do it exquisitely. So you have everything in order to constantly change and not get used to it! :)

HI-X65 sound raw and clumsy :)

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #8,818 of 9,618
I’ve noticed that about Grado, don’t have much experience with them though. Sadly AKG is pretty much dead unless Samsung decides to develop more high end stuff based off/improved from AKG tech/patents. So of the classic trio it’s just Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic making anything new currently.

If there is a main complaint I have about the HD 660 S it’s the comfort for me, I forgot how iffy the headband comfort on the HD 6xx series are for me and my ears have always preferred round earcups from a comfort perspective. The T1.3 and R70X spoiled me in terms of comfort. Comfort is important for me as I do very long listening sessions.
Samsung high end will move to Mark Levinson, a subsidiary.. With AKG chipping in...
👍

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #8,819 of 9,618
K872 / K812 - Designed for high fidelity studio work. This is the highest segment in terms of quality and price.
Yes, it should be cleaner than the HD660 and 800S. But the HD660 and 800S are designed for high comfort listening to music for a long time. And they do it exquisitely. So you have everything in order to constantly change and not get used to it! :)

HI-X65 sound raw and clumsy :)
Now on all that.. I can agree! :thumbsup:
To bad about Austrian Audio ....:triportsad:

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #8,820 of 9,618
....... So you have everything in order to constantly change and not get used to it! :)
Still working out which works best on Jean Michel Jarre's homage to Pierre Henry..."Oxymore"
https://jeanmicheljarre.com
Thought the HD800S, but it appears to create a false dome, HD660S the 3D collapses..the K872 are good but closed back.....maybe those new ones would work..what they called again New..Newsman or something ...hhhhmmmm???
:L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back