Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #8,837 of 9,628
Good to know, so the HD660S will stick next to my K872 with the D800S in between...and wait for a "black" version of the NDH30 to be released.:wink:
...ah...... no more talk of Neumann on this thread till then. :dt880smile:
I control myself - I promised myself never to mention their name here again!!!:)

Oct 30, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #8,839 of 9,628
I originally had lots of other plans this afternoon, but I ended up just listening to my HD 660s. Really very good. I can understand why they got such criticism at the original MSRP especially right around when the other HD 6xx were starting to hit bargain prices. They're not significantly different from my HD 650, but they lift just enough of the veil to provide a fresh, energetic sound without at all being fatiguing. I've now listened to every HD 6xx and feel pretty good about making the HD 660s my primary. This is a minor nitpick, but I will say that I prefer the fit and finish of the HD 650 and 600. The 660s look mean in flat black, but it feels like plain plastic vs. the premium glossy/clear coat finish on the HD 6x0 which looks and feels more premium.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #8,840 of 9,628
I know I'm gonna get a ton of crap for this, but I just got the HD 660s... I love them, but I feel like I don't need an amp as my iPhone drives them to uncomfortably loudness levels, so that would tell me that they're getting enough power to operate properly. They sound clear and not grainy or anything, so do I really need an amp for these or is my iPhone enough for them?

Also, if I plug them into the aux port on my Mac Pro (2012), they can get WAY louder, but they sound about the same quality as my iPhone at the same volume levels.

On my iPhone, I really only like to turn them up to 65-75%, otherwise it's just way too loud for me.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #8,842 of 9,628
I know I'm gonna get a ton of crap for this, but I just got the HD 660s... I love them, but I feel like I don't need an amp as my iPhone drives them to uncomfortably loudness levels, so that would tell me that they're getting enough power to operate properly. They sound clear and not grainy or anything, so do I really need an amp for these or is my iPhone enough for them?

Also, if I plug them into the aux port on my Mac Pro (2012), they can get WAY louder, but they sound about the same quality as my iPhone at the same volume levels.

On my iPhone, I really only like to turn them up to 65-75%, otherwise it's just way too loud for me.

If you’re enjoying them then that’s all that matters :)

And seeing how it goes for most on this forum, the question of “but could this good thing be even better?” will get you eventually (whether you’ll experience that from amps, DACs etc. will of course be subjective!)

Oct 31, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #8,843 of 9,628

My IMac is from 2013 .. they had an almost good audio output. I also have a 2018 MacBook Air and this has an ugly AUX.
The new Macs from 2021 (even the base models), have improved the internal DAC/AMP and drive headphones up to 600ohms (I have not done any tests).

The amplifier not only has the ability to bring the volume of a headphone to high powers. I'll give you my example.. If you combine the HD650 with the Magni 3+ you won't have volume problems. My problem was that already at medium-low volumes or worse if I increased, the musical instruments entered into a sort of confusion, especially when there were a certain number of musical instruments in the track.
For what the Magni 3+ cost me, it did quite well with the HD660 and HD58X (I recommend Schiit Asgard 3).

With my current Lake People and Violectric absolutely volume and sonic space are reproduced perfectly.

Oct 31, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #8,844 of 9,628
The best, accurate and honest review of the Neumann NDH 30 - is in my posts!!! Or do you not trust my opinion??? :)
Someday, when you finally get NDH 30 in your hands and spend a few days with them - you will remember my words and everything that I wrote about NDH 30 :)

Written with a touch of drama and mystery! .. :)
Some lyrics from a song I used to listen to a lot. @indigogo..... "Don't dominate the rap jack, if you've got nothing new to say"

Oct 31, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #8,845 of 9,628

Why would you get Crap?? You have a headphone you enjoy with an audio stream that fits your needs. Case close! Enjoy and fogetta about it!

Leo

Oct 31, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #8,846 of 9,628
I originally had lots of other plans this afternoon, but I ended up just listening to my HD 660s. Really very good. I can understand why they got such criticism at the original MSRP especially right around when the other HD 6xx were starting to hit bargain prices. They're not significantly different from my HD 650, but they lift just enough of the veil to provide a fresh, energetic sound without at all being fatiguing. I've now listened to every HD 6xx and feel pretty good about making the HD 660s my primary. This is a minor nitpick, but I will say that I prefer the fit and finish of the HD 650 and 600. The 660s look mean in flat black, but it feels like plain plastic vs. the premium glossy/clear coat finish on the HD 6x0 which looks and feels more premium.
Such is the hobby..when released the HD650 were top dog and with what was considered at the time a premium $499 price, $699 here in Canada, unthinkable for most sane head-fiers. lol
And here we are with the HD660 at the same price almost 20 years later, relatively speaking with inflation they should be priced almost at what the HD800 are, and the recent refurbs at &249 US ... pocket change. : )
So indeed the hd600 and HD650 did at the time merit a premium look, the HD660S, again relatively speaking, not so much, but having owned all 3 I actually have a preference for the later..and "they lift just enough of the veil to provide a fresh, energetic sound without at all being fatiguing." : )

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #8,848 of 9,628
Part of me wants to disassemble and clear coat my HD 660s. Glossy black finish would look classy.
I'm actually not a fan of glossy stuff... attracts too many fingerprints. I wish they actually made the IE 400 Pro in matte black like the 40/100 Pro. From the pictures, the 400/500 Pros look like a frosted textured shell, but it's glossy clear/translucent plastic.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #8,849 of 9,628
I'm actually not a fan of glossy stuff... attracts too many fingerprints. I wish they actually made the IE 400 Pro in matte black like the 40/100 Pro. From the pictures, the 400/500 Pros look like a frosted textured shell, but it's glossy clear/translucent plastic.
Different folks, different strokes. :) :beerchug: My beef with matte finish is that it scratches/wears visibly whereas smudges and fingerprints are easy to wipe away.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #8,850 of 9,628
Drop 2.5mm balanced cable is pretty nice. Not $50 nice. But $15 on eBay nice, definitely. Soft and springy but without memory, just like the stock cables. 4.4ft is about the perfect length for use with the Qudelix 5K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back