Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #8,822 of 9,628
I have had the HD660 for over a year and have compared them to the Austrian Audio HI-X65 several times. What I never liked about the HD660s was the very tight soundstage (sounds inside the head in my opinion). The bass was definitely not up to par with the HI-X65. I made improvements by equalizing the HD660.. but by equalizing the HI-X65 the gap was huge, bass with spectacular clarity. In my opinion HD660 does not scale much with premium amps.. I listened to them with OTL and they were absolutely out of my taste, very tiring with a rough and slightly squeaky sound. With OTL and the HD58X, this combination is something else entirely, beautiful sound and wider soundstage (satisfying). With solid state amplifier, the flagship HD 650 has a much wider soundstage than the HD660, this meant that the smallest musical details were better focused on the first listen.

My 2013 HD650s and Megahertz OTL, these live in symbiosis and I will never make any changes to either. 👋

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #8,823 of 9,628
I have had the HD660 for over a year and have compared them to the Austrian Audio HI-X65 several times. What I never liked about the HD660s was the very tight soundstage (sounds inside the head in my opinion). The bass was definitely not up to par with the HI-X65. I made improvements by equalizing the HD660.. but by equalizing the HI-X65 the gap was huge, bass with spectacular clarity. In my opinion HD660 does not scale much with premium amps.. I listened to them with OTL and they were absolutely out of my taste, very tiring with a rough and slightly squeaky sound. With OTL and the HD58X, this combination is something else entirely, beautiful sound and wider soundstage (satisfying). With solid state amplifier, the flagship HD 650 has a much wider soundstage than the HD660, this meant that the smallest musical details were better focused on the first listen.

My 2013 HD650s and Megahertz OTL, these live in symbiosis and I will never make any changes to either. 👋
Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard someone describe the HD 650 as having a wider soundstage then the HD 660s. Maybe Ireland vs. later revision differences?

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #8,824 of 9,628
I have had the HD660 for over a year....................the flagship HD 650 has a much wider soundstage than the HD660, this meant that the smallest musical details were better focused on the first listen.

👋
First for me having owned 3 HD650s and the HD6xx, which have always had more of a 3 blob while the 660S immmediatly came across with better width, separation and depth....hhhhhmmm????...same goes for the HD58X... while good still performs IMHO below the technicalities of the HD660S.
Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard someone describe the HD 650 as having a wider soundstage then the HD 660s. Maybe Ireland vs. later revision differences?
Ditto!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #8,825 of 9,628
:raised_hand:

Only the NDH 30 brings these tracks to the table in such a refined and phenomenal way! :)
:L3000:
Still doing research on the Neumann (as a compliment set to the HD660S :wink:) but this appears to be a very level headed review, sort of favouring Sennheiser with mention of the HD660S.

Ps...if not for the fact that it was designed by Alex Gruel and using Sennheiser based drivers...........

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #8,826 of 9,628
Still doing research on the Neumann (as a compliment set to the HD660S :wink:) but this appears to be a very level headed review, sort of favouring Sennheiser with mention of the HD660S.

Ps...if not for the fact that it was designed by Alex Gruel and using Sennheiser based drivers........... :wink:

The best, accurate and honest review of the Neumann NDH 30 - is in my posts!!! Or do you not trust my opinion??? :)
Someday, when you finally get NDH 30 in your hands and spend a few days with them - you will remember my words and everything that I wrote about NDH 30 :)

Written with a touch of drama and mystery! .. :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #8,827 of 9,628
The best, accurate and honest review of the Neumann NDH 30 - is in my posts!!! Or do you not trust my opinion??? :)
Someday, when you finally get NDH 30 in your hands and spend a few days with them - you will remember my words and everything that I wrote about NDH 30 :)

A simple referral to the NDH 30 thread would be sufficient to point out a potential alternative and then we can choose if we want to check them out. Your constant trolling is not helping out your cause.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #8,830 of 9,628

I’ll look to Edgar Allen Poe for that; why settle on a ‘hack’ opinion from a megalomaniac?

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #8,831 of 9,628
First for me having owned 3 HD650s and the HD6xx, which have always had more of a 3 blob while the 660S immmediatly came across with better width, separation and depth....hhhhhmmm????...same goes for the HD58X... while good still performs IMHO below the technicalities of the HD660S.

Ditto!
I agree the micro detail is slightly better than the HD660 than the HD58X.
As for tonal timbre, the HD58X definitely satisfied me more.
Superb in classical music in general.
The double bass in the HD58X has incredible tonal coloration and as much as I equalized the HD660, it didn't reach the same sound thickness.
The HD58X equalized with amps. SS or OTL are great headphones.
The HD660s scale very little when connected to the Mac or Violectic.
In my opinion the Xduoo TA-26 and HD58X will be a great combination.

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #8,833 of 9,628
I have had the HD660 for over a year and have compared them to the Austrian Audio HI-X65 several times. 👋
As a long time AKG user I was intrigued to hear about the X65, some reviews had them appear very close to the K812...obviously I would need to personally audition them. But if indeed there is any family resemblance, they would be very different from the HD660S, in voicing, coloration and defiantly staging, even my closed back K872s exceed the HD660S.

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #8,834 of 9,628
Just a quick observation..
Using my Sony NWZ-Z1000, listening to Al Jarreau " We're in this love together", my jaw is in my lap.. Not only can I clearly hear each instrument, but using the supplied cable in single ended mode, the volume is much more than sufficient than needed. Max volume can easily damage your hearing...
They are far clearer and much louder than my HD-545's. Also, the bass is perfect.
Nice headphones!!!! 👍

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #8,835 of 9,628
As a long time AKG user I was intrigued to hear about the X65, some reviews had them appear very close to the K812...obviously I would need to personally audition them. But if indeed there is any family resemblance, they would be very different from the HD660S, in voicing, coloration and defiantly staging, even my closed back K872s exceed the HD660S.
X65 will not be next to K812. The X65 has mediocre sound resolution. And that's it. No desire to listen to them. And there is no desire to put them on my head, not an interesting design. And in general - if you see headphones with an ellipse shape - you can immediately ignore them :)
So far, technology has not reached the required level to make cups in an ellipse with high quality :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back