Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #8,791 of 9,628
I added a couple of mods to my HD660S's. The first was replacing the stock pads with a set of Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. The second change was replacing the stock cable with a custom gold-plated copper plus palladium silver cable. Now the sound is much more to my liking. The bass is tighter with better definition. The midrange graininess is gone and treble is a lot smoother. I can hear better details, snappier transients, improved soundstaging with better depth, and imaging got a boost as well. Overall, the frequency response is cleaner and clearer allowing the music to come through with a greater sense of PRAT.
And fair question is - why Sennheiser did not make these improvements right at the factory - that we immediately received an accurate and complete version
I think that it would be fair and not difficult for them for the original price

Oct 26, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #8,792 of 9,628
And fair question is - why Sennheiser did not make these improvements right at the factory - that we immediately received an accurate and complete version
I think that it would be fair and not difficult for them for the original price
I would guess that Sennheiser has a "house" sound that they tune the HD660S's to. The stock equipment that is supplied with the headphones is part of the tuning. Aftermarket cables and pads are one way to tweak that sound. It's not a necessary thing you have to do to enjoy these headphones. I like a more incisive, dynamic sound. So I tend to pair my gear with silver or hybrid cables

Oct 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #8,793 of 9,628
I would guess that Sennheiser has a "house" sound that they tune the HD660S's to.........
So true....I've mentioned that for me the 660S are like the 650 but clearer and more precise with better dynamics but if I switch over from my AKG K872s I feel the Senns have lost all dimension, sounding dull and compressed. "Way back when"... the cheapest mod to liven things up on the HD600/650 was just to remove the foam in the ear cup.

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #8,795 of 9,628
What are the current DAC/amp recommendations for the 660s? How is the noise floor with the lower impedance vs 650?
All headphones will benefit from better sources and amps but the 660S being more efficient don't require a lot of power. Previously I ran mine off my Bryston BHA-1 but currently they're powered by the affordable SMSL HO100, source is a Cambridge CXN V2 Streamer/Dac...at full volume there is zero noise.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-ho100-review-headphone-amp.34282/
SMSL also make a companion DAC, the highly regarded HO100.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #8,796 of 9,628
Having someone in here posting like an avalanche crapping on the thread subject headphones to endlessly try to pimp out a different model more than twice as expensive sucks. Loving my HD 660S though, they are pleasing and remind me of the good qualities of my trusty old made in Ireland HD-650s but with better separation of sound elements and quicker bass that helps me enjoy them more with aggressive & modern listening material :) Finding them to be great gaming cans also, much better positional audio versus their older sibling.

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #8,803 of 9,628
Took delivery of a pair today. They’re fun! I’d stayed away from Sennheiser after an underwhelming experience with the 560s, which were a bit too tame and I consequently tarred the rest of the brand with the same brush. They sit nicely between my various pairs of Grado and Hifiman XS - (slightly) more relaxed and significantly more comfortable than the former (along with more bass), and more engaging (with more forward vocals + drums) than the XS. There’s an aspect to the treble that I could do without (a certain harshness but at which frequencies I couldn’t say) but overall - pleasantly surprised.

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #8,804 of 9,628
Took delivery of a pair today. ......... There’s an aspect to the treble that I could do without (a certain harshness but at which frequencies I couldn’t say) but overall - pleasantly surprised.
Oddly.. cannot say I've ever experienced anything resembling harshness from the 660S, HD800S yes....
......powered off an amp, phone.?
Contrary to popular belief I do believe some phones take a bit to loosen up after sitting unused for a long time and especially new, could take a few tracks to hours...some say days or even weeks, but I wouldn't go that far.
I've gotten into the habit of playing all new phones at moderate to higher volume stuck under a cushion or in a drawer for a 1/2 a day or so. :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back