Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 22, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #8,761 of 9,626
I feel that I have read the words ''nhd-30'' so many times in the last 5 pages that I will see them in my sleep. :beerchug:

Though personally I wouldn't describe the studio (monitors) sound as something that a headphone ''must'' try to accomplish.

Is there the perfect wine or whiskey? Its all about preference and music listening is not the same as music production or mixing. One is the hobby and the other is business.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #8,762 of 9,626
That's all for a warm-up - I just listened two wide tracks with a good panorama on my studio monitors, and then for fun, having nothing to do, I took the 660 and listened to the same tracks ... A very unpleasant design error of the 660 was discovered
Pan and stereo enter each other :) and intersect in the middle by about 50%
This creates an unpleasant feeling as if you want to enter a doorway of normal width - and it turns out to be twice as narrow :) And impossible to squeeze into it except sideways :)
In general, if no jokes - here's a serious flaw!
And by the way, in NDH 30 - there is no such trouble! :)
Try the HD 660 S on tubes, the soundstage has always changed a lot when on tubes on any of the HD 6xx line, they become much more spacious and less narrow. I only found they have an overly narrow soundstage on certain SS amps.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #8,763 of 9,626
Try the HD 660 S on tubes, the imaging has always changed a lot when thrown on tubes, they become much more spacious and less narrow. I only found they only have an overly narrow soundstage on certain SS amps.
Plus, with a nominal impedance of 150 ohms (vs the 300 ohms of its 600 series siblings), the HD660S benefits, in terms of sound blossoming, from the typically high output impedance of an OTL tube headphone amplifier. [Most SS h/p/a have very low output impedance. An exception is the Beyerdynamic A2 which has a 0 ohm / 100 ohm switch underneath.]

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #8,764 of 9,626
Real sound stage and accuracy is available only for very expensive mid-field studio monitors in an acoustically prepared room and now also in NDH 30 :)
Everything else, especially when it comes to headphones, is an approximate conditional sound presentation of the scene and other characteristics that have nothing to do with the exact sound :)

This is just an approximate and conditional sound delivery - you may like it or not, but this is not accuracy.
…the age-old audio conundrum: accuracy to what?…must the playback gear = equal production gear to be accurate?…artist intention?…🤷🏻‍♂️😵‍💫🤷🏻‍♂️😵‍💫

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #8,765 of 9,626
Plus, with a nominal impedance of 150 ohms (vs the 300 ohms of its 600 series siblings), the HD660S benefits from the typically high output impedance of an OTL tube headphone amplifier. [Most SS h/p/a have very low output impedance. An exception is the Beyerdynamic A2 which has a 0 ohm / 100 ohm switch underneath.]
I also find it has a lot to do with how tubes play with the Senns themselves, high output impedance is a factor but I found tubes being the bigger factor in my own testing. I found high impedance Beyers such as the T1 Gen 1/2 or the Audio-Technica R70X don't react quite as dramatically on tubes for instance and those headphones also have big impedance bumps in the bass like the Senn HD 6xx line.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #8,766 of 9,626
I wrote - THE DESIGN OF CANS 660 - ELIPSE - MAKES OVERLAY AND DISTORTION OF THE STEREO PANORAMA!

THIS IS DIFFERENTLY AUDIBLE AFTER WORKING WITH STUDIO MONITORS

WITH ROUND HEADPHONES EVERYTHING IS OK

This can be clearly heard on the tracks where the engineer worked and set the stereo panorama. For example, in live performances with vocals in the middle or slightly to the side and instruments on both sides. And on other records where there is serious work with panorama and stereo. These are usually contemporary recordings. On many conditionally old (5-10 years ago and older) mono compatible recordings, of which 70% of all recordings - this can not be heard.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #8,767 of 9,626
I wrote - THE DESIGN OF CANS 660 - ELIPSE - MAKES OVERLAY AND DISTORTION OF THE STEREO PANORAMA!

This can be clearly heard on the tracks where the engineer worked and set the stereo panorama. For example, in live performances with vocals in the middle or slightly to the side and instruments on both sides. And on other records where there is serious work with panorama and stereo. These are usually contemporary recordings. On many conditionally old (5-10 years ago and older) mono compatible recordings, of which 70% of all recordings - this can not be heard.
Okay my bad, I get what you're talking about now. What tracks are you using to test this?

I am almost 100% sure that this is due to the idiotic ellipse design!!!
It's a pity I can't test it on 800s, sold

It's good that no one has yet come up with the idea of making square or rectangular headphones - It would be really funny!:)
Rectangular and square exists, an example of rectangular is the Beyer DT 100/150. Which are broadcasting headphones, they're quite common in the pro audio world and the DT 100 has been in production since the 1960's. Another is of course the STAX Lambda, but estats are a different animal than dynamics. There are multiple other examples of course. As for a more square design the cheap Califone EH-3SV which are often found in education settings in the U.S.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #8,768 of 9,626

It's good that no one has yet come up with the idea of making square or rectangular headphones - It would be really funny!:)
They have...AKG K1000....and the closest ever made to wearing studio monitors. : )
akg_k1000.jpg

and they are...let's not forget the Jecklin Float.
Jecklin Float.png

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #8,769 of 9,626
Rectangular and square exists, an example of rectangular is the Beyer DT 100/150. Which are broadcasting headphones, they're quite common in the pro audio world and the DT 100 has been in production since the 1960's

I think you're forgetting the best of the bunch :p

1666475771052.png

It is odd but some of the my favorites are rectangular, and boxy. Especially e-stat sigmas.

1666475831926.png

They have...AKG K1000....and the closest ever made to wearing studio monitors. : )
akg_k1000.jpg

and they are...let's not forget the Jecklin Float.
Jecklin Float.png

That old dude looks like some physicist genius XD He knew something well ahead of his time.

I posted in the dt880 thread where the biggest fan of german headphones, thought the ergo precide (newer version of the Jecklin Float) with a really cheap driver basically glued to a porous metal sheet, beat out his dt880 (600ohm) PRO, and his beloved hd650. So this wasn't a hater of those headphones saying the ergo sounded better. He loves his rare 880 600 pro and hd650.

1666476027321.png

So that design is really something. And I would imagine you could just about mod that thing like no other.

Tyll got that headphone mob boss look with them on too.

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #8,771 of 9,626
I think you're forgetting the best of the bunch :p

It is odd but some of the my favorites are rectangular, and boxy. Especially e-stat sigmas.

That old dude looks like some physicist genius XD He knew something well ahead of his time.

I posted in the dt880 thread where the biggest fan of german headphones, thought the ergo precide (newer version of the Jecklin Float) with a really cheap driver basically glued to a porous metal sheet, beat out his dt880 (600ohm) PRO, and his beloved hd650. So this wasn't a hater of those headphones saying the ergo sounded better. He loves his rare 880 600 pro and hd650.

So that design is really something. And I would imagine you could just about mod that thing like no other.

Tyll got that headphone mob boss look with them on too.
Yep the DT 480, didn't forget them, just didn't mention them as they are discontinued whereas the DT 100 and DT 150 are still made. Honestly bet the floats are comfortable though, never had the chance to try one. Btw thinking of writing up a review of the HD 660 S compared to the R70X sometime, maybe with the Cal.1H as well but plan on doing a separate review for it. It's been a while since I did a review and want to get back to doing it.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #8,772 of 9,626

I tried to keep reading this guys posts, but they are just a distraction. I know what he thinks, but he has to repeat the same old stuff over and over again. He is rude, has no room for grey, and his opinion rules all. He has NO IDEA what sound signature I like, what type of audio chain I have. But he is the arbitrator of all things sonic. Can't take it any more.

Blocked (again)

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #8,773 of 9,626
I did pick up a 660s when Amazon had their (almost) half price sale recently.

Pretty nice, save for the top end lacks air and no real bass below about 70hZ.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #8,774 of 9,626
I tried to keep reading this guys posts, but they are just a distraction. I know what he thinks, but he has to repeat the same old stuff over and over again. He is rude, has no room for grey, and his opinion rules all. He has NO IDEA what sound signature I like, what type of audio chain I have. But he is the arbitrator of all things sonic. Can't take it any more.

Blocked (again)
🎼 “Wake me up when indigogo…” 🎶 (sorry, Wham!)…..🤣

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #8,775 of 9,626
There's an opportunity right now to pick up a Senn-refurbed HD660s for $250, and it's quite tempting. But as a 6XX owner, I do have to wonder how different the headphones could be. I do adore the super-smooth, mellow, warm sound of the 6XX. I currently drive it balanced from my Singxer SA-1, which itself is a nice, warm, musical solid-state amp that I think pairs very well with the 6XX. Plus I have a Bottlehead Crack (non-SB) on the workbench at the moment, very eager to finish that up and see what all the hub-bub is about.

Thoughts on the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back