Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #7,576 of 9,627
Too late. I sold them
Gotcha. If you ever do get another pair try with a good tube amp if you can. The 660s sound good with an OTL tube amp also but not quite as good as with the 600/650/6XX. Interestingly enough I like the 58X with the Valhalla better than with the 660 so it still may be worth trying if you still have the 58X.
I've sold al of my headphones. I'll I have is my old NAD Viso HP50 and Asgard 3. Searching for headphones. I have €400. The last headphones i've sold was AKG K371. Great for the money but little metallic/artificial/fatiguing

May 15, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #7,577 of 9,627
I've sold al of my headphones. I'll I have is my old NAD Viso HP50 and Asgard 3. Searching for headphones. I have €400. The last headphones i've sold was AKG K371. Great for the money but little metallic/artificial/fatiguing
10-4. Can't recommend the AFO Xs enough.

May 15, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #7,578 of 9,627
I don’t find the 660s fatiguing at all. But that’s coming from someone that didn’t find the HD800 fatiguing either for most music. I listen to music at relatively low volumes so that’s maybe why.

May 15, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #7,579 of 9,627
I don’t find the 660s fatiguing at all. But that’s coming from someone that didn’t find the HD800 fatiguing either for most music. I listen to music at relatively low volumes so that’s maybe why.
That makes sense that listening levels can play a large part into it. I tend to listen a little louder than normal at home but not at ear piercing levels. At the somewhat louder than normal listening levels I listen too I do at times find the 660 and for that matter the 600 to be a little harsh and/or fatiguing for some of the music and equipment I listen to and with. I don't get this with the 58X as much because I tend to listen to it at work through my phone and don't listen to it at any where near the same levels as I do listening to my other headphones home.

The 650/6XX to me are the least fatiguing in the 600 family. I still think the 660 is probably the best all arounder in the 600 family but it does have a slight amount of harshness and listening fatigue at times with some sources/music to my ears.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #7,580 of 9,627
Oh well I wasn't expecting that quite so soon :D. Apparently someone on another headphones-related forum received this information from Sennheiser in an email :
eVm0S3W.png
Quite curious to see if anyone else could confirm that info ?

Even though I now prefer to use Dekoni's pads I'll probably purchase the newer pads to try them. The transparent material at the back seems to echo the material used on the HD560S' pads. Perhaps now the same supplier ?
What type of Dekoni pads ?

May 16, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #7,583 of 9,627
What type of Dekoni pads ?
Elite Velour. But they sound like ass without EQ. Without EQ I only like the stock pads.
On a positive side they actually increase SPL in the subbass region. Not by much (1-2dB), but since it corresponds to the area where the HD650 have the most distortion I’ll take it. Conversely they reduce SPL elsewhere.
Comfort is way better than stock and I’m expecting the foam to lasts lot longer.

May 16, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #7,584 of 9,627
Oh well I wasn't expecting that quite so soon :D. Apparently someone on another headphones-related forum received this information from Sennheiser in an email :

Quite curious to see if anyone else could confirm that info ?

Even though I now prefer to use Dekoni's pads I'll probably purchase the newer pads to try them. The transparent material at the back seems to echo the material used on the HD560S' pads. Perhaps now the same supplier ?
I will send and place order to Sennheiser for those pads.And post photos and opinion when they came

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #7,585 of 9,627
I know what the world needs most right now is another opinion on the HD 660S. Well, I received my pair on Friday and have a good handling on their sound now.

I’m not sure what all the controversy is all about. They are less veiled, less shouty, slightly less refined in the treble (but a little brighter), and have less midbass hump, but have more texture and control in the bass, than the HD 650. That’s about it. People have been saying for years the HD 650 are a bit boring, too veiled, too smooth, and a touch shouty. Sennheiser fixed that. They are fine a headphone.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #7,587 of 9,627
I know what the world needs most right now is another opinion on the HD 660S. Well, I received my pair on Friday and have a good handling on their sound now.

I’m not sure what all the controversy is all about. They are less veiled, less shouty, slightly less refined in the treble (but a little brighter), and have less midbass hump, but have more texture and control in the bass, than the HD 650. That’s about it. People have been saying for years the HD 650 are a bit boring, too veiled, too smooth, and a touch shouty. Sennheiser fixed that. They are fine a headphone.
To my ears the 660s are the best all-around phones out of the 600 family. They do most everything well. The others may do some things better in certain categories, but they are not quite as complete of a package as the 660s. They also tend to sound well with most musical genres and equipment, while some of the others are more genre and equipment dependent.

Having said that to my ears and musical tastes (and equipment) the absolute best I've heard any of the 600 family of phones sound is the 6XX/650 being powered from an OTL tube amp. It doesn't change the fact that I still think the 660s is the best all-around phone in the family however.

I think one of the issues people have with the 660s is the difference in price between it and the other phones in the family. I tend to agree with this. While it is the better phone the differences are not huge and I'm not sure that these improvements warrant the retail price premium the 660s commands over the other phones in the 600 family in the US market (I hear the difference is not as great in the European market). This becomes an even bigger issue when you compare the 660s to some of the other phones like the Sundaras ($350 US) and the DCA AFO X ($499 US same as the 660s).

If Sennheiser would do something similar to what they did with the 650 which first retailed for $499 and now can be regularly bought for $399 or lower or Hifiman did with the Sundara (first retailed for $499 but now can be bought for $350), then they would not receive as much grief as they do. Just my opinion FWIW.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #7,588 of 9,627
To my ears the 660s are the best all-around phones out of the 600 family. They do most everything well. The others may do some things better in certain categories, but they are not quite as complete of a package as the 660s. They also tend to sound well with most musical genres and equipment, while some of the others are more genre and equipment dependent.

Having said that to my ears and musical tastes (and equipment) the absolute best I've heard any of the 600 family of phones sound is the 6XX/650 being powered from an OTL tube amp. It doesn't change the fact that I still think the 660s is the best all-around phone in the family however.

I think one of the issues people have with the 660s is the difference in price between it and the other phones in the family. I tend to agree with this. While it is the better phone the differences are not huge and I'm not sure that these improvements warrant the retail price premium the 660s commands over the other phones in the 600 family in the US market (I hear the difference is not as great in the European market). This becomes an even bigger issue when you compare the 660s to some of the other phones like the Sundaras ($350 US) and the DCA AFO X ($499 US same as the 660s).

If Sennheiser would do something similar to what they did with the 650 which first retailed for $499 and now can be regularly bought for $399 or lower or Hifiman did with the Sundara (first retailed for $499 but now can be bought for $350), then they would not receive as much grief as they do. Just my opinion FWIW.
Price is always an issue and consideration.

I think Sennheiser probably is charging $100 more than they probably should is due to the balanced cable being included. Drop the cable and lose $100, and I think many people would be happier.

I bought my HD 650 in 2014 for $499, but it also included their ridiculously overpriced 4-pin balanced cable.

May 17, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #7,589 of 9,627
Price is always an issue and consideration.

I think Sennheiser probably is charging $100 more than they probably should is due to the balanced cable being included. Drop the cable and lose $100, and I think many people would be happier.

I bought my HD 650 in 2014 for $499, but it also included their ridiculously overpriced 4-pin balanced cable.

That makes sense. They could probably either exclude the balanced 4.4 mm cable or make it an add-on option for those that want it. Heck I don't have any equipment that has a 4.4mm balanced jack. I use 4-pin XLR for my balanced connections and I already have one of those. Let the buyer decide if they need it or not and choose the termination they actually need and/or can use. Otherwise sell the phones for a more reasonable price.

May 17, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #7,590 of 9,627
That makes sense. They could probably either exclude the balanced 4.4 mm cable or make it an add-on option for those that want it. Heck I don't have any equipment that has a 4.4mm balanced jack. I use 4-pin XLR for my balanced connections and I already have one of those. Let the buyer decide if they need it or not and choose the termination they actually need and/or can use. Otherwise sell the phones for a more reasonable price.
The prices are different if i talk with people from US i get their point because hd6xx cost 220 and some say 660s cost 500.
For me in europe 660s cost 369 euro and 280 euro the HD6XX to came in Europe , also they dont have Sennheiser warranty in Europe and thats not so good.
Other than that hd660s has 4.4 cable that is extensive.
Sundara cost me 380 euros ans the stock cable was terrible so 40 euros more for cable.
Price for hd660s compare to US hd6xx agree is a lot.
But compare to any other headphone i would say its cheap.
I ahbe Sundara and i like more the natural organic sound of 660s .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back