Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 20, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #7,606 of 9,621
After listening to various headphones for reviewing duties , today I am back to the HD660S testing the Onyx THX.
Oh boy , I missed them , they sound good , so good that I would be happy with them for the rest of my life.
This headphone is the sweet spot of the whole market!
I find them to be the ultimate palate cleanser. Go Hard one way in the Grado's, then hard back another way with the Cascades and then into a different level of intensity with the Elex's. Then slow it all down and get back to a fresh reset with the HD660's. Usually only for a day or two though and then I am off again on another sonic adventure. :L3000:

May 20, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #7,607 of 9,621
I upgraded from Sennheiser HD-595 to HD-660S, having owned the 595s for a good 10 years or so, I have to say the upgrade in sound was very significant across the entire spectrum. It's been like going from 2D games straight into the realm of Virtual Reality. Suddenly you're able to accurately place instruments and tiny details in three-dimensional space thanks to the bigger, deeper and much more detailed sound stage. Each song is a brand new experience and I'm hearing new details I've never even heard before. The treble is incredibly clean and the bass is also significantly better, with a much deeper, tighter and faster delivery. Across the board everything just sounds a lot more natural and realistic and now I can't go back to the 595's because they sound like an old radio compared to these headphones. Definitely very happy with this upgrade. (I run both headphones on my Xonar STX)

It is true that the headphones clamp quite tight when they are new, but after a week or so they become super-comfortable and are a true joy to feel on your head.
this is one of the most cringe things i have ever read. The "improvement" is nowhere near that significant.

May 20, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #7,608 of 9,621
this is one of the most cringe things i have ever read. The "improvement" is nowhere near that significant.

Honestly his impressions are pretty accurate, the HD 595 was never really all that good from a fidelity standpoint, any of the HD 6 line is notably better. The upgrade from a HD 595 to a HD 660 S is significant.

May 20, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #7,609 of 9,621

May 21, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #7,610 of 9,621
I enjoy the 660 but I find them fatiguing. Could be because I’m using a less expensive amp — ifi hip dac. I also own the 650. Less detail but not fatiguing to me at all. Wonder if I would enjoy the 660 more if I upgraded to a Jot 2.
I don't think so.
The hip dac (balanced) is good for the 660S so if you get fatigued it is not to it clipping.
Best guess is that you are sensitive at a certain frequency that the 660 accentuates.

May 21, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #7,612 of 9,621
I enjoy the 660 but I find them fatiguing. Could be because I’m using a less expensive amp — ifi hip dac. I also own the 650. Less detail but not fatiguing to me at all. Wonder if I would enjoy the 660 more if I upgraded to a Jot 2.

Have you tried your HD 650 with hip-dac?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 21, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #7,613 of 9,621
Its really strange that u find fatiguing the HD 660S because HD 6 series are known for exactly the opposite ( there are some differences between them but not so much)
Maybe your HD 650 pads are really old and smoothie that give a warmer character ... i suggest use your old pads to HD 660s and see what happens . If the sound is the same , Then u have very sensitive ears and maybe this small difference between HD 650 being in fact smoother than HD 660s makes u feel that way .

May 21, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #7,614 of 9,621
How do you find them fatiguing? I personally had a weird dizzying fatigue with them which is the only reason I don’t have the HD 660 S anymore, no system fixed it for me and I tried two different pairs, I couldn’t pinpoint what part of the sound was causing it as it wasn’t audible fatigue and I haven’t heard of anyone else having this issue, so it’s likely not the problem.

This didn’t happen with the HD 600 and HD 650 but I didn’t like their sound as much as the HD 660 S, I got mild fatigue from the upper mids on the HD 600/650 though but certain systems solved it on those headphones. It’s possible it’s the upper mids bothering you on them as the entire HD 6 series is stronger there than most headphones.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #7,615 of 9,621
I used the 650, 600 , 660s with hip dac , micro , nano and i got no surprises between the headphones that i used ( single ended cable) there are the known differences between the headphones that we all know hd650 being the smoothest of them all but no way 600 or 660s being on fatigue mode with those or other amp dac combo that i used . Maybe he is sensitive to that small differences that 660s give , or just the pads are to new and hard for correct fitment , they need to brake in ( in my opinion )

May 21, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #7,616 of 9,621
How do you find them fatiguing? I personally had a weird dizzying fatigue with them which is the only reason I don’t have the HD 660 S anymore, no system fixed it for me and I tried two different pairs, I couldn’t pinpoint what part of the sound was causing it as it wasn’t audible fatigue. This didn’t happen with the HD 600 and HD 650 but I didn’t like their sound as much as the HD 660 S, I got mild fatigue from the upper mids on the HD 600/650 though but certain systems solved it on those headphones.
To have a comparison in mind , what headphone u find that is not fatigue ? Most of the premium ones are brighter in my opinion . For example something cheap that everyone have are the Koss porta or 30i those are dark very dark profile have u listen to them ? Maybe this is the profile that u like and u want to go for LCD 2C.

May 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #7,617 of 9,621
After listening to various headphones for reviewing duties , today I am back to the HD660S testing the Onyx THX.
Oh boy , I missed them , they sound good , so good that I would be happy with them for the rest of my life.
This headphone is the sweet spot of the whole market!
I cant agree more with u , these HD660s are the sweet spot for what money can get and have something that sounds ok on most types of music (not perfect but good enough) what i understand is that some way more expensive headphones will sound better on specific genre of music but lose on something else . For people having a lot of headphones or listen just 1 type of music i get that buying something that they fit their needs . But for people want to get that 90% on most use and not premium money i think 660S are great ( i like the others also personally 600 and 650 ) and omg they are light so light in the head .
The problem with HD 660s is that there are 600 and 650 and its not night and day difference and also that they need a lot of time to really listen what they can do ( that is strange because it was the only headphone that i have over 500 hours and last night i was listening a high quality live song and i didnt expect to have that stage produced so good , i was thinking that everything until now its in my head , but it didn't they have some open stage when it needs to be .

By the way big respect to u , i like your reviews u have such a big XP on this hobby , always happy to read your posts.

May 21, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #7,618 of 9,621
To have a comparison in mind , what headphone u find that is not fatigue ? Most of the premium ones are brighter in my opinion . For example something cheap that everyone have are the Koss porta or 30i those are dark very dark profile have u listen to them ? Maybe this is the profile that u like and u want to go for LCD 2C.

Well of what I’ve owned I would say Beyer T1.3 (very dark/warm), Amiron Home, T1.2, and Audioquest Nighthawk. Brighter estats don’t seem to cause fatigue and there were some brighter dynamics I heard that haven’t either.

May 21, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #7,619 of 9,621
Well of what I’ve owned I would say Beyer T1.3 (very dark/warm), Amiron Home, T1.2, and Audioquest Nighthawk. Brighter estats don’t seem to cause fatigue and there were some brighter dynamics I heard that haven’t either.
Amiron Home and Nighthawk yeah for sure these are great dark headphones . I dont know about the others ... Personaly Brightness gives me fatigue so maybe its the way different people have different hearing .
I remember that when i got my measurements and hearing tests on my doctor he said to me that people listen different , and that happens mostly after 30-40 years old so some frequencies will be ok for me and good and to some others would be fatigue .

May 21, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,620 of 9,621
So that’s an excellent point and I can’t believe I didn’t already consider it. Lots going on in my life right now and the stress is definitely affecting me. Of course I’ve listened to the 650 on the hip dac and it’s fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back