Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #7,591 of 9,621
The prices are different if i talk with people from US i get their point because hd6xx cost 220 and some say 660s cost 500.
For me in europe 660s cost 369 euro and 280 euro the HD6XX to came in Europe , also they dont have Sennheiser warranty in Europe and thats not so good.
Other than that hd660s has 4.4 cable that is extensive.
Sundara cost me 380 euros ans the stock cable was terrible so 40 euros more for cable.
Price for hd660s compare to US hd6xx agree is a lot.
But compare to any other headphone i would say its cheap.
I ahbe Sundara and i like more the natural organic sound of 660s .

Many people do prefer the 660s to the Sundaras and vice versa. I think they are good compliments to each other and there are times when I prefer one over the other according to music and equipment. If I were to only have one I'd have a hard time deciding which one to keep. Well honestly given that I already own the other members of the 600 family I would probably keep the Sundara. Just glad I don't have to do that! Lol!

May 17, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,592 of 9,621
Many people do prefer the 660s to the Sundaras and vice versa. I think they are good compliments to each other and there are times when I prefer one over the other according to music and equipment. If I were to only have one I'd have a hard time deciding which one to keep. Well honestly given that I already own the other members of the 600 family I would probably keep the Sundara. Just glad I don't have to do that! Lol!
Sundara are amazing its just that some times sound a little metalic to me . But overall so good .

May 17, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #7,594 of 9,621
Never thought to factor in the included 4.4 balanced cable in the overall cost. Even though it probably doesn’t cause Sennheiser that much to produce, it still a min $50 value in my book. Considering the 4 pin XLR CH 650 S retails for $240.

May 17, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #7,596 of 9,621
What i learn in this headphone hoby is that for little more u pay a lot more .
That's so true. You definitely get to a point of diminishing returns.

May 17, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #7,597 of 9,621
Sundara are amazing its just that some times sound a little metalic to me . But overall so good .

Doesn't hearing the metallic note ruin them though? I would never be able to unhear that, especially knowing the lovely natural sound of the 6-series and ZMFs.

May 18, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #7,599 of 9,621
Doesn't hearing the metallic note ruin them though? I would never be able to unhear that, especially knowing the lovely natural sound of the 6-series and ZMFs.
It depends by the songs , thats why i said HD 6 series are the best all around headphones because they are smooth on everything. Sundara on the other hand are more analytical more exciting pushing more detail in my opinion . I will surely keep Sundara because most people hearing them side side by side can get that more exciting feeling like DT1990 for example . But for me HD 6 series are so real so smooth , also HD 660s has something that others on the series dont have(in my opinion) and its the Imaging, speed and Separation . So having HD 600 or 650 and Sundara at the shame time is something i recommend for having different experience. But if must be only one then HD 660s because it has something from them all.

May 18, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #7,600 of 9,621
But where's the HD650/600 closed edition though???
I dont think u will ever get that sound from any Closed back or iem... some are get it close enough but none of them its the shame , Lets not forget that even Open back headphones companies have tried to get that smooth natural timbre of them and couldn't do it . Some say ZMF are close but honestly i have never had any of them even demo .

May 18, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #7,601 of 9,621
Another thing to keep in mind is the Sundara sounds way better with EQ than stock. I know the subject of EQ can be sticky with some folks. My phone that I use as a source to stream Tidal (LG V35) has a built in EQ function so I figure if it's already there might as well use it. Anyways the Sundara responds way better to EQ than just about any headphone I've tried (especially compared to the 600 family headphones). The Sundara can actually be EQ'd into a phone that is quite natural and warm sounding while still maintaining good detail and soundstage.

Even if one doesn't want to EQ the Sundara they still make a good compliment to the 660s as Tripokaridos mentioned above. With the 660s you get a smoother, natural, and intimate presentation (with regards to soundstage). With the Sundaras you get a more detailed, analytical, and wider soundstage. You can cover both sides with the two phones depending on music and mood.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #7,602 of 9,621
Another thing to keep in mind is the Sundara sounds way better with EQ than stock. I know the subject of EQ can be sticky with some folks. My phone that I use as a source to stream Tidal (LG V35) has a built in EQ function so I figure if it's already there might as well use it. Anyways the Sundara responds way better to EQ than just about any headphone I've tried (especially compared to the 600 family headphones). The Sundara can actually be EQ'd into a phone that is quite natural and warm sounding while still maintaining good detail and soundstage.

Even if one doesn't want to EQ the Sundara they still make a good compliment to the 660s as Tripokaridos mentioned above. With the 660s you get a smoother, natural, and intimate presentation (with regards to soundstage). With the Sundaras you get a more detailed, analytical, and wider soundstage. You can cover both sides with the two phones depending on music and mood.
Yeahp agree all the way ...
I have LG V30 the same dac amp with your LG v35 . Sundara doesnt enable high gain on this phone u should force high gain ... But even if i do that Sundara really need a lot of power to sound good for me , With adapter to force High gain on my LG v30 they sound ok but lose bass and when i go to over 65 volume i get a lot of harshness .

May 19, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #7,603 of 9,621
Yeahp agree all the way ...
I have LG V30 the same dac amp with your LG v35 . Sundara doesnt enable high gain on this phone u should force high gain ... But even if i do that Sundara really need a lot of power to sound good for me , With adapter to force High gain on my LG v30 they sound ok but lose bass and when i go to over 65 volume i get a lot of harshness .
Gotcha. I actually don't use the V35 to power most of my phones (except for 58X at work, which is an exceptional pairing btw). I use it just as a source, and use a USB cable to connect the V35 to one of my dacs (most of time Cayin I-Dac 6 for headphone use). The dac is usually connected to either a Lyr 2, Little Dot 1+, or Primaluna Prologue 4 for amplification when using the Sundaras. When using the 660s (or the other cans in the 600 family) I usually use a Valhalla, Little Dot 1+ (actually my favorite with the 660s), or Lyr 2.

Agree totally that the Sundaras need a good bit of current to drive properly. Certainly much more than a phone (even the LG phones) can provide. That is another thing to take into account when considering the 660s vs Sundara if one was only to have one or the other. If you don't have an amp with sufficient current you are going to be much better off with the 660s as it is much easier to drive (while still benefiting from a good amp if it is available).

May 20, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #7,604 of 9,621
After listening to various headphones for reviewing duties , today I am back to the HD660S testing the Onyx THX.
Oh boy , I missed them , they sound good , so good that I would be happy with them for the rest of my life.
This headphone is the sweet spot of the whole market!

May 20, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #7,605 of 9,621
I enjoy the 660 but I find them fatiguing. Could be because I’m using a less expensive amp — ifi hip dac. I also own the 650. Less detail but not fatiguing to me at all. Wonder if I would enjoy the 660 more if I upgraded to a Jot 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back