Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 12, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #7,546 of 9,618
Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,547 of 9,618
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-range?order_by=created_at-desc

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-range?order_by=created_at-desc&page=2

The HD 660S S and the HD650 are both listed as $499 on Sennheiser’s website.

Is Sennheiser finally admitting that the 660 S and 650 are in the same tier? They tried to market the 660 S as the successor of the 650 in 2017 but seems like they've quitely changed their tune.
The HD 650 and HD 660S both launched with an MSRP of $499. Its more like they didn’t raise the price and charge extra for the new model, even after over 15 years.

May 12, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #7,548 of 9,618
Of the items I have been waiting for Amazon.ca to get stock of, 560S should finally arrive this week.

I was thinking of skipping 560S and go straight to 660S but at it's less than 1/3 of the price ($200 vs $650+) I think it's worth the listen.

May 13, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #7,550 of 9,618
guys when you think sennheiser will put on the market a successor of 660?or successor of 700?

No one knows for sure when a new high end Sennheiser will come out or even if anything is planned, however they just unveiled a new high end IEM - the IE900. It’s the successor to the IE800, so some people are theorizing that they might do the same with the HD800 series and perhaps release a new HD900 in the next year.

But nothing has been announced, so it’s all just a theory. And it’s even more up-in-the-air now that the company was just acquired.

I think there were also rumors a while back that Sennheiser was working on a planar magnetic headphone, but again, no one knows for sure.

May 14, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #7,552 of 9,618

I tend to agree. Having a real hard time imagining Sonova will fund any product development for the audiophile market. My guess is that they bought the division for the wireless technology developed by Sennheiser. They probably see potential in that expanding market.

https://www.sonova.com/en/brands

From the press release on Sonova's site:

"The deal will allow Sonova to further expand its attractive portfolio of products; to capture growth opportunities, in particular in the fast-growing market for true wireless headsets and the emerging segment of speech enhanced hearables; and to further expand its channel presence and customer base"

As I said before, RIP 6-series. I expect there will be enough stock for another year or two, then adios forever.

May 14, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #7,554 of 9,618
I tend to agree. Having a real hard time imagining Sonova will fund any product development for the audiophile market. My guess is that they bought the division for the wireless technology developed by Sennheiser. They probably see potential in that expanding market.

"The deal will allow Sonova to further expand its attractive portfolio of products; to capture growth opportunities, in particular in the fast-growing market for true wireless headsets and the emerging segment of speech enhanced hearables; and to further expand its channel presence and customer base"

As I said before, RIP 6-series. I expect there will be enough stock for another year or two, then adios forever.

I'm ready to bet that Sonova's existing wireless technology know-how and implementation already run circles around Sennheiser's. They already have "true wireless" hearing aids : https://www.phonak.com/com/en/hearing-aids/phonak-virto-marvel.html - and Sennheiser's wireless implementation isn't exactly stellar these days.
What Sonova probably is concerned about is the arrival of cheap hearing aids with self-calibration / customisation. The FDA approved some of them already for limited hearing loss, and Bose just released such a product : https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...ng-aids.html#v=soundcontrol_hearing_aids_gray
What Sonova probably accurately perceived is that hearing aids as we know them will go the way of the dodo and be replaced by cheap all-day TWS AR hearables at some point with a personalised calibration for people suffering from hearing loss - a little bit like what Apple already allows you to do to a limited extent by using an audiogram to modulate the sound of the AirPods. So they probably feel the need to pivot their operations from a medical approach (expensive, "niche" devices calibrated by audiologists with yearly appointments) to a consumer oriented approach (cheap mass market hardware), with their hearing aids expertise on top of it as a software "supplement" to their AR hearables for those who need it.

I'm not too worried about the HD6... series. At this point it's an easy cash grab, and Sennheiser has already shown that production can be moved around without much repercussions on quality. I would expect them to continue to be sold for years to come, just like the K701. Albeit perhaps with some consolidation of the SKUs (for example by replacing the HD600's headband cushion by the one that's used on all the others, or providing only one 6.5mm cable, this sort of thing).

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #7,555 of 9,618

so now with sonova no new serie 6?

May 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #7,557 of 9,618
How many years was there between models HD650 and HD660S? 14 years?
  1. 2003 - first release, and can be distinguished by the black materials around the back drivers. Apparently sounds veiled and dark compared to newer revisions.
  2. 2010 - can be differentiated by the colour of material around the back of the drivers, silver, instead of black from the first revision.
  3. 2014 - not sure about the differences from previous releases.
  4. 2016 - most current release, which is identical to the Massdrop HD6XX. If you remove the back foam discs behind the drivers, there are two discs versus three from previous revisions.

May 14, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7,558 of 9,618
Albeit perhaps with some consolidation of the SKUs (for example by replacing the HD600's headband cushion by the one that's used on all the others, or providing only one 6.5mm cable, this sort of thing).

Oh well I wasn't expecting that quite so soon :D. Apparently someone on another headphones-related forum received this information from Sennheiser in an email :
eVm0S3W.png

Quite curious to see if anyone else could confirm that info ?

Even though I now prefer to use Dekoni's pads I'll probably purchase the newer pads to try them. The transparent material at the back seems to echo the material used on the HD560S' pads. Perhaps now the same supplier ?

May 14, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #7,559 of 9,618
Oh well I wasn't expecting that quite so soon :D. Apparently someone on another headphones-related forum received this information from Sennheiser in an email :
eVm0S3W.png
Quite curious to see if anyone else could confirm that info ?

Even though I now prefer to use Dekoni's pads I'll probably purchase the newer pads to try them. The transparent material at the back seems to echo the material used on the HD560S' pads. Perhaps now the same supplier ?
Can indeed confirm the authenticity, I was the one who shared the image when I got the memo from Sennheiser the other day.

Seems like as a result there was a little bit of a run on the Sennheiser 600 series pads.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back