Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #6,497 of 9,618
How do people feel about the HD660s after some time with them? I've been using the HD650s for a while and I've picked up other open-back headphones here and there but have always found myself returning back to the HD650s for some reason. I consider it to be a staple headphone for myself and for most people's collections. Would it be safe to say that the HD660s are indeed a worthy successor which supplants the HD650's role as that staple can?
I've had mine a few weeks and am very pleased with mine. I've only listened to them via 4.4mm Balanced, on an iFi Zen DAC or iFi hip dac - it's been a solid and pleasurable listening experience on both. Very comfortable to wear after the initial 'stretch' period.

Maybe I'll try the 3.5mm to see if there's an appreciable difference.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #6,498 of 9,618
How do people feel about the HD660s after some time with them? I've been using the HD650s for a while and I've picked up other open-back headphones here and there but have always found myself returning back to the HD650s for some reason. I consider it to be a staple headphone for myself and for most people's collections. Would it be safe to say that the HD660s are indeed a worthy successor which supplants the HD650's role as that staple can?
Personally i would say hd660 are not successor to hd650... But a nice add on to the line up.
Its the same for hd600 and HD650 both have their place.
To me 600 650 and 660s are like having the same car with different colour. Its the car u love but a small detail can make it even better for your taste.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #6,499 of 9,618
I've had mine a few weeks and am very pleased with mine. I've only listened to them via 4.4mm Balanced, on an iFi Zen DAC or iFi hip dac - it's been a solid and pleasurable listening experience on both. Very comfortable to wear after the initial 'stretch' period.

Maybe I'll try the 3.5mm to see if there's an appreciable difference.
Do u like Zen ? Did u have other IFI dac ?

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #6,500 of 9,618
I've had mine for 2 years now and it's my favorite headphone I own. I would not say it's the successor to the 650s but like others have said it's an addition to 600s lineup.

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #6,502 of 9,618
Would it be safe to say that the HD660s are indeed a worthy successor which supplants the HD650's role as that staple can?

No. It will depend on how you like the HD660S compared to the HD650. Just have to try them and see.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #6,503 of 9,618

i returned to the 6x0 after owning the 660s for about 6 mo. after awhile i found the 660s lacked the ability to resolve details as well as the 6x0. the 660s does other things better tho. it has better imaging and has a bit more clarity (less of a mid bass hump). but i just found myself missing the 6x0 and the way it’s lush/full sounding but can still churn out fine details. overall i just think the 6x0 performs better than the 660s

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #6,504 of 9,618
i returned to the 6x0 after owning the 660s for about 6 mo. after awhile i found the 660s lacked the ability to resolve details as well as the 6x0. the 660s does other things better tho. it has better imaging and has a bit more clarity (less of a mid bass hump). but i just found myself missing the 6x0 and the way it’s lush/full sounding but can still churn out fine details. overall i just think the 6x0 performs better than the 660s
Its the opposite to me i use 660 more but i also use 650 they are more smoth.

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #6,506 of 9,618
If I may ask, which is the other one you have? hip-dac?
It is...I bought the hip-dac first, liked it and got the Zen DAC. Now I have the Zen CAN Signature pkg. on order...Wouldn't mind trying the Pro iDSD 4.4, but don't think I can get that by the boss :)

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #6,508 of 9,618
I did a search in thread and not see this come up (yea I coulda missed it)

Anyone running these with a Kann Cube and/or and Hiby R6Pro? How is the match in your opinion?

I listen to all genres other than Country and Gangster with a lean toward classic rock. For a years I could not find open HP I really liked in the under 250.00 category so when I upped the game $$$ wise (about 2016) I could not decide between 600 and 650, and then I got distracted with Home Theater (sad I know).

Now I am back looking hard at the 660s as they seem like a blend of 600 and 650. I Happily ran the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 through the R6pro for past coupe of years but with the Cube, it just feels like the MSR7 are holding it back.. maybe its just in my head because the cube has so much power available.

I hear the 660s do not scale as well as the 600/650 so i have some doubts.. anyone think maybe the 150 ohm gets it to the sweet spot quicker so the scaling feels less impact?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #6,509 of 9,618
It is...I bought the hip-dac first, liked it and got the Zen DAC.

Thanks for answering. So now you have the same thing pretty much, but for portable and desktop use. Cool!

Wouldn't mind trying the Pro iDSD 4.4, but don't think I can get that by the boss :)

That's understandable. Once your boss allows you to have a go at the Pro, we'll be around :sunglasses:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 29, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #6,510 of 9,618
If I may ask, which is the other one you have? hip-dac?
Thanks for answering. So now you have the same thing pretty much, but for portable and desktop use. Cool!

That's understandable. Once your boss allows you to have a go at the Pro, we'll be around :sunglasses:
I use Nano for a long time and its just Amazing i always go back to this dac/amp its also portable .... But i have 2 questions i dont know if i have to use 5.3c or 5.2 firmware when i listen music via USB on Windows ...
And the other is that i am ready to buy a desktop amp/dac and i confused between the Zen or the Massdrop offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back