Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 24, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #6,466 of 9,628
Because I adore them, so for me, subjectively, it is true. I have spent years looking for their SQ and I didn't think it existed so I'm very happy.

Well it seems that i've been looking for the balanced, controlled, extended detailed, lush sound of the 660S without zero harshness in the treble region, the most accurate bass i've heard. ( I think some people confuse what bass is ?? ) The mid range is wonderful, vocals you can get lost in.

Most of my equipment is Sony, so i'm not knocking them, just giving an honest assessment of both.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #6,467 of 9,628
Well i've owned my HD660S a week tomorrow morning, 84 albums in...and i just love them from the first note !

I couldn't have got through 84 albums in a week with my Sony MDR-Z1R's....now that's quite a statement, about both headphones really ! ( Although, i won't be getting rid of Z1R's. )

Great. You are one of the enlightened people who know how to appreciate good sound when they hear it. :) Now try the HD-600. You may not believe better is possible, but oh it is.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #6,468 of 9,628
Great. You are one of the enlightened people who know how to appreciate good sound when they hear it. :) Now try the HD-600. You may not believe better is possible, but oh it is.

Thanks. I like to think my ears can tell the difference between something exceptional & accurate, compared to something that doesn't quite work across the whole musical spectrum.

I've read very good things about the 600's....i was kind of thinking about the HD800S but i don't really intend buying anymore headphones right now, even though the 600's are affordable & a good price.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #6,469 of 9,628
If any other owner of the 660S can back this up....but i doubt it ?? ( & i don't mean "fanboys" of either brand. )

Thin, harsh & bass light is certainly not what i hear, infact the completely opposite..
Nope no way they dont sound like that not even close .... Honestly its the opposite of thin and harsh ... Bass light maybe if u compare them with 1.000 euro planars .
For this type of driver they have the best bass tight fast with impact.
I have , had a lot under 500 euro ... For example 990pro have bass but not detailed . x2hr have bass but bloated and they are not airy like 660.
I can understand someone saying that dint like 660 compared to 650 or the warm signature.
But there is no way they sound thin and harshly.
If u make a search on open backs 90% of them under 500 euro and see the FR u gone understand what i am saying.
All 6 series 600 650 660 have warm and weight on their sound.
Unleas if the friend compare them with dark LCD classics or a closed back Meze classic that are warm with bass .... In that way yeah all 6 series are thin and harsh. :)

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #6,470 of 9,628
The resolution, clarity & detail is the best i've heard on the 660S, not that i have a mass collection of headphones, or would have the chance to audition any, but as much as i loved the Z1R's to begin with, overtime i've heard their flaws, i.e. can be congested with the sound stage, especially with busier music & as is often mentioned there's that treble spike.....with the right music they're great, but they're not good with everything, unlike the 660S.

Exactly what i said... After 24 years i have to say 660s are not perfect on something like other headphones are.... But they are great on everything....
And thats something that everyone will discuss because there are 2 sides on this the one thatbuse 660s on everything and feel ok with that getting 80-90% and the other side looking for better bass better soundstage better imaging etch etch and find it on different headphone but this headphone would be only prefect on that specific taste.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #6,471 of 9,628
But they are great on everything....

This....it's the timbre of every instrument that makes them so great & that's why they're so good with every music genre i've listened to in the last week.

Not at all fatigued by them, they're addictive. As good as the Z1R's can be i have to stop listening, because the congestion just becomes unbearable.

Sennheiser's are like listening to surround speakers, ( in your head. ) with their layered soundstage

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #6,472 of 9,628
Sorry but we will have to agree to disagree. The 660s are thin, harsh in the treble region, the bass is light, etc, but the z1r are purely magical. Incredible bass, wonderful mids, and beautiful highs. I've searched a long time for the perfect can and the z1r ticks all the boxes.

I mean the 660s are good for fps gaming due to the highs for footsteps and gunshots, so I'll keep them.

Huh. I you're listening to your setup more if you think your hd660s is harsh and thin.
They are just a little shimmer away from being perfect. Timbre though is pretty spot on, using the senns. It's ok to have different assessment, but I don't think you're gonna convince the majority of the 660s owners that these are tonally "off" (even if you own a more expensive set).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #6,473 of 9,628
Well it seems that i've been looking for the balanced, controlled, extended detailed, lush sound of the 660S without zero harshness in the treble region, the most accurate bass i've heard. ( I think some people confuse what bass is ?? ) The mid range is wonderful, vocals you can get lost in.

Most of my equipment is Sony, so i'm not knocking them, just giving an honest assessment of both.
I'm the same with the 660s. I'm not knocking them, just giving an honest assessment as well.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #6,474 of 9,628
Huh. I you're listening to your setup more if you think your hd660s is harsh and thin.
They are just a little shimmer away from being perfect. Timbre though is pretty spot on, using the senns. It's ok to have different assessment, but I don't think you're gonna convince the majority of the 660s owners that these are tonally "off" (even if you own a more expensive set).
Like I said, it's just subjective opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #6,475 of 9,628
Yes the 600 are incredible. Definitely my favorite out of all the sennheiser line up. And I've owned the 800 and 800S, but sold them as they just were to thin is the bass region.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #6,476 of 9,628
Nope no way they dont sound like that not even close .... Honestly its the opposite of thin and harsh ... Bass light maybe if u compare them with 1.000 euro planars .
For this type of driver they have the best bass tight fast with impact.
I have , had a lot under 500 euro ... For example 990pro have bass but not detailed . x2hr have bass but bloated and they are not airy like 660.
I can understand someone saying that dint like 660 compared to 650 or the warm signature.
But there is no way they sound thin and harshly.
If u make a search on open backs 90% of them under 500 euro and see the FR u gone understand what i am saying.
All 6 series 600 650 660 have warm and weight on their sound.
Unleas if the friend compare them with dark LCD classics or a closed back Meze classic that are warm with bass .... In that way yeah all 6 series are thin and harsh. :)
Hey it's just how I feel about them.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #6,477 of 9,628
Thanks. I like to think my ears can tell the difference between something exceptional & accurate, compared to something that doesn't quite work across the whole musical spectrum.

I've read very good things about the 600's....i was kind of thinking about the HD800S but i don't really intend buying anymore headphones right now, even though the 600's are affordable & a good price.
The 800s are better but both them and the 600 need a much more powerful amp than the 660s to shine! I guess both would work well with your headphone amp though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back