Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #6,481 of 9,628
Yes the 600 are incredible. Definitely my favorite out of all the sennheiser line up. And I've owned the 800 and 800S, but sold them as they just were to thin is the bass region.
HD600 are your favorite and 650 660 800s are thin on bass region ?
Oh man i really dont understand what u are hearing :)
I respect your opinion but i bealive most people and me would tell u that between them HD 600 are the lightest on bass region.
Anyways interesting opinion.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #6,482 of 9,628
LoL i have HD600 honestly i have all HD 5 and 6 series ... And i dont have 800 but i have listen one of them.
The lightest on bass of them ALL are the HD 600 and not only to.my ears but on my friends ears to.
And not only that but all measurements show the same.

U are the only one that i ever heard saying that... Are u sure your HD 600 use original Senmheiser Pads ? Are they moded ? Can u take of the foam and see if the driver on your HD 600 is stretched down ? Because some times this effect sound also.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #6,483 of 9,628
I have to apologize because I didn't mean to be rude concerning the 660s.
Apologize for what ? Saying your opinion ? We all have different thoughts ... We just share them.
U are not rude at all ... In my opinion.
It just interesting all these that u are saying because they sound exactly the opposite. Did u tried all these at the same amp dac ?

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #6,484 of 9,628
HD600 are your favorite and 650 660 800s are thin on bass region ?
Oh man i really dont understand what u are hearing :)
I respect your opinion but i bealive most people and me would tell u that between them HD 600 are the lightest on bass region.
Anyways interesting opinion.

The HD-600 have more than enough bass (this was discussed recently in the HD-600 thread). I often turn the bass down using the Schiit Loki. So the point is not the bass, but how natural they sound with all genres of music.

Here is something I noticed just last night. I put on One Voice from The Wailin' Jennys and had the 660S. It sounded great, but something was slightly off on the clarity of the vocals. I thought it might have been the E88CC tubes I had recently changed. But I switched to the HD-600 (easier than changing tubes - cooldown and all that), and no, sure enough, it hadn't sounded right on the 660S just because the 600 is so darn natural sounding, so clear, so pleasant, perfect timbre.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #6,485 of 9,628
Huh. I you're listening to your setup more if you think your hd660s is harsh and thin.
They are just a little shimmer away from being perfect. Timbre though is pretty spot on, using the senns. It's ok to have different assessment, but I don't think you're gonna convince the majority of the 660s owners that these are tonally "off" (even if you own a more expensive set).

Totally agree. 100%

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #6,486 of 9,628
Apologize for what ? Saying your opinion ? We all have different thoughts ... We just share them.
U are not rude at all ... In my opinion.
It just interesting all these that u are saying because they sound exactly the opposite. Did u tried all these at the same amp dac ?
Thanks first of all. And yes on all my dacs and amps. I liked them on the tube amp but because they are so sensitive they pick up the 60hz hum

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #6,487 of 9,628
The HD-600 have more than enough bass (this was discussed recently in the HD-600 thread). I often turn the bass down using the Schiit Loki. So the point is not the bass, but how natural they sound with all genres of music.

Here is something I noticed just last night. I put on One Voice from The Wailin' Jennys and had the 660S. It sounded great, but something was slightly off on the clarity of the vocals. I thought it might have been the E88CC tubes I had recently changed. But I switched to the HD-600 (easier than changing tubes - cooldown and all that), and no, sure enough, it hadn't sounded right on the 660S just because the 600 is so darn natural sounding, so clear, so pleasant, perfect timbre.
I agree 100%.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #6,489 of 9,628
I was pleasantly surprised when I auditioned the 600 at a local store, I clearly preferred it over the 650 which disappointed my expectation (post description is pages ago). I just NEEDED a bit more bass as everything else was so smooth and so easy going. That said I fell in love with the 660s when listening to jazz.

Would consider buying the 600 but fell in love with the cayin yb04 which sounded neutral and so darn smooth. Even better since they are iem format.

To each his own. From what I read the mileage may vary depending on setup, it's just a question on how much we're willing to give these cans a shot.

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #6,492 of 9,628
Well i've owned my HD660S a week tomorrow morning, 84 albums in...and i just love them from the first note !

I couldn't have got through 84 albums in a week with my Sony MDR-Z1R's....now that's quite a statement, about both headphones really ! ( Although, i won't be getting rid of Z1R's. )

They are surprisingly good to me. I didn't expect a whole lot from these going in, but I have been pleasantly corrected.

A couple of days ago I got a new Koss electrostatic system (ESP/E95X) from Drop. It is a warranty replacement. I always found them thin, so I use a Schiit Loki with them. Today I was going through an alt rock playlist and felt the music was missing something even with the Loki cranked up.

Just for giggles, I turned on my Violectric amp and pulled out my 660's. The result was...

The HD660's are bass monsters, rivalling the Fostex 900 MKII!!

OK, not really, but WOW on the bass the Violectric was pushing and the 660's were bringing out. At that moment the Electrostats seems completely useless and if I had just bought them I would put them back in the box and returned them.

Once again, the 660's impress me. It is safe to say they are a keeper.
So easy to be happy when you weren't expecting much. :ksc75smile:

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #6,493 of 9,628
They are surprisingly good to me. I didn't expect a whole lot from these going in, but I have been pleasantly corrected.

A couple of days ago I got a new Koss electrostatic system (ESP/E95X) from Drop. It is a warranty replacement. I always found them thin, so I use a Schiit Loki with them. Today I was going through an alt rock playlist and felt the music was missing something even with the Loki cranked up.

Just for giggles, I turned on my Violectric amp and pulled out my 660's. The result was...

The HD660's are bass monsters, rivalling the Fostex 900 MKII!!

OK, not really, but WOW on the bass the Violectric was pushing and the 660's were bringing out. At that moment the Electrostats seems completely useless and if I had just bought them I would put them back in the box and returned them.

Once again, the 660's impress me. It is safe to say they are a keeper.
So easy to be happy when you weren't expecting much. :ksc75smile:

I went into this purchase, certainly with no real level of expectation, well not the level i've experienced this past week. The only expectation & experience i had was from a pair of Senn 595's that i thought i had thrown away, after being damaged. I came across them, always remembered how great they sounded & i had that feeling again, which encouraged me to go for another pair of Sennheiser's & i thought for the price, i've got nothing to lose....they've gone beyond any expectations.

I obviously haven't got your set up, but as i've indicated these aren't shy on bass, to me they slam when they need to. Accurate, as i've said. I think if an headphone wants to make you listen more, then that says an awful lot !

Jul 24, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #6,494 of 9,628
Great. You are one of the enlightened people who know how to appreciate good sound when they hear it. :) Now try the HD-600. You may not believe better is possible, but oh it is.

I would have to disagree on that. I took some HD600's in on trade several months ago. They underwhelmed me completely. I went through like five or six amps and they always sound boring.

Until I put them on my tube amp. Then they were Amazing. I decided to get rid of them as I don't need a one amp set of 'phones. Recently I have started thinking maybe I could use a one amp set of headphones for the right price. And maybe the Violectric SS amp could breathe life into them (because no other SS/hybrid amp I tried could).

But as I sit here, my favourite Senn headphone are the HD660's.

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #6,495 of 9,628
How do people feel about the HD660s after some time with them? I've been using the HD650s for a while and I've picked up other open-back headphones here and there but have always found myself returning back to the HD650s for some reason. I consider it to be a staple headphone for myself and for most people's collections. Would it be safe to say that the HD660s are indeed a worthy successor which supplants the HD650's role as that staple can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back