Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 25, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #6,001 of 9,618
Hey People,
I mentioned that I’ve been sharing some posts to product managers at Sennheiser? Well, I have a correction from one of them. The drivers are still made in Ireland, the tooling and enclosure parts actually still come from the same factory in Germany as always, and it’s just the final assembly that is done in Romania.
I really dont understand why it matters where are they made ? I only care about good quality control and great support, until now Sennheiser is great in my opinion.
I have 5,6, momentum series and i have no idea or listen the HD 25 Anniversary edition with yellow pads , HD 25 plus and HD300 protect. I will buy one of them but i dont know which of them is warmer sounding ? I dont want momentum signature.
Thanks.

May 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #6,002 of 9,618
I really dont understand why it matters where are they made ? I only care about good quality control and great support, until now Sennheiser is great in my opinion.
I have 5,6, momentum series and i have no idea or listen the HD 25 Anniversary edition with yellow pads , HD 25 plus and HD300 protect. I will buy one of them but i dont know which of them is warmer sounding ? I dont want momentum signature.
Thanks.

Sennheiser's headphones have long been dogged by rumors of silent revisions and things of that nature, this country of manufacture stuff is just the new version of that with some people truly convinced that their Ireland 660s are inherently superior. I'm sure there are still people who are convinced that you need to get an HD650 with a certain mesh to actually get the best "revision." And of course you're gonna get people who are under the notion that manufacturing is more reliable in one country vs another across the board, rather than it being a function of how well individual manufactures handle things

May 26, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #6,003 of 9,618
Nice, thanks for the details. At the end of the day it sounds great and that's what matters, but it's fun to have such insights.

Any insights as to what is in development? Anything new for the 6-series? 8-series?
Well, stuff (plural) is in development, but as to the exact nature of which ones I’m most excited about, that’s under a huge NDA. The details, not the excitement part 🤣

:insert massive troll face:

May 26, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #6,004 of 9,618
Sennheiser's headphones have long been dogged by rumors of silent revisions and things of that nature, this country of manufacture stuff is just the new version of that with some people truly convinced that their Ireland 660s are inherently superior. I'm sure there are still people who are convinced that you need to get an HD650 with a certain mesh to actually get the best "revision." And of course you're gonna get people who are under the notion that manufacturing is more reliable in one country vs another across the board, rather than it being a function of how well individual manufactures handle things
Not going to lie, when I was reminded of the “silent revisions” rumors, I was very interested to find out. There has been some small stuff, like the cable attachment improving and the materials supply changing over the years (it’s been a long time!), but when I found out I could tell you guys officially that the sonic profile was the same, I thought it would be cool to drop you the scoop.

We’ll see what other Sennheiser stuff I can bring you. The “Q&A” documents that came out with several of the recent model releases were written by me, anticipating what you guys might want to know (Not too hard to guess, I’ve been on Head-Fi myself for over a decade), and I’ve had the product managers look them over and sometimes they added some neat pointers. Sennheiser also has a big bank of knowledge and expertise stored up from over the years, and I’ve been pushing for more evergreen “treats” from the inside to be shared. With the “A-Team” (Audiophile Products Team) recently getting a little more freedom (and a little more interaction with me), I see the potential for more outreach and connection here on Head-Fi!

P.S. Someone else wondered if Sennheiser had given up on CanJam London... fact is, they were intending and budgeted to go this year, so it looks good that barring any unusual circumstance (like this year) there should be a Sennheiser booth next year. I got to work at the booth once! But I’m based in the US, so I felt very lucky and honored to go and meet some of you at CanJams there and elsewhere. And I’ll tell you guys what... it’s very interesting to see things from the other side of the table.

May 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #6,005 of 9,618
In 3 days will arrive :) retro love
preview.jpg

May 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #6,006 of 9,618
I have an ibasso dx160 of the H9i and the 660s Inhabited to the sound of the h9i and since I don't have such a trained ear, is it possible that I hear the hd660s a bit muffled? I also removed the two small layers of foam and the situation has improved a bit, but in the h9i I hear a more crystalline sound. I do not mean much but I would like to train the ear to understand the quality of the 660s or to understand if they are just like that and therefore to appreciate more a ceistalline sound you need more thanks

May 26, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #6,007 of 9,618
I have an ibasso dx160 of the H9i and the 660s Inhabited to the sound of the h9i and since I don't have such a trained ear, is it possible that I hear the hd660s a bit muffled? I also removed the two small layers of foam and the situation has improved a bit, but in the h9i I hear a more crystalline sound. I do not mean much but I would like to train the ear to understand the quality of the 660s or to understand if they are just like that and therefore to appreciate more a ceistalline sound you need more thanks
Your beloved h9i seems to have a rather bright tuning if the HD660S sounds muffled to you. It is that simple.

May 26, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #6,008 of 9,618
This is how i felt when i.first heard hd 6 series but after some time i get that my beautiful made B&O have all that sparcle without clarity and without smoothness. V shaped sound always feels better but for.me not anymore , for me its all about clarity without beeing bright.

May 26, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #6,010 of 9,618
I'm considering buying some 660s on sale. I had the 650s and liked them, along with the 800 and S that are all sold now. I might get back into to Sennheiser with these. The 600 and 660s are the same price on the Canadian site. Which one to buy? Hmmmm...

May 26, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #6,011 of 9,618
I'm considering buying some 660s on sale. I had the 650s and liked them, along with the 800 and S that are all sold now. I might get back into to Sennheiser with these. The 600 and 660s are the same price on the Canadian site. Which one to buy? Hmmmm...
660S have been very nice to me, they sound better and better every day as they get more burned into their ideal specs from their ideal engineering. However they don’t really shine anywhere amazingly however they don’t disappoint anywhere at all whatsoever they are unbelievably a dream to listen to and take my word for it they do not disappoint anywhere on the board. They just don’t do anything unbelievably god believing well but they do everything like a dream headphone should.

May 26, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #6,013 of 9,618
Get the 660S. It's just so damn sweet.

So I sent the 800S back today. I took one last listen as I had let it sit in the closet for several days while deciding. I wanted to see if I felt the same way on a second go round and I did. I just love the 660S. The strengths the 800S does have I apparently don't value that much. Oh well, saved some money. :wink:
I wish Sennheiser did headphone tours or something, I hated to order blind and return it, it makes me feel guilty. I live in a rural area though and there's absolutely nowhere to get first hand experience around here. Sennheiser folks if you read this, sorry.

May 27, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #6,014 of 9,618
I'm not sure which to buy, the 600, 650, or 660s. I'm reading reviews now.

HD600 for neutrality , the one with the smaller bass of the 3 .
HD650 for warmer smoother sound, slow muddy bass (to my ears are the ones with most bass)
HD660S for clearer , better imaging, small upgrade on soundstage, and way faster response, the best bass quality faster clearer and not so much like 650.

All of them are amazing sharing same Senheiser 6 series signature so u cant go wrong what ever u choose . TO my ears ( not graphs) HD 600 and HD660s have more similarities , So if I had to choose it would be between HD650 and HD660s . with old recordings HD650 are better to me so forgiving with great resolution . BUT if I had to choose just one I guess that would be HD660s it does everything great not so bright not so warm everything feels balanced .

In my opinion dont read Reviews , Read Forums read opinions of people have them a long time .
Also buy a headphone depending the music u listen , and the purpose u want it for example all HD6 series are nothing special for Gaming and Movies (hd5 are better on that) , but perfection on stereo music.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6,015 of 9,618
Ok, well now do I grab the 660 or get the 800 again the thing about the 800 I found was that it did not engage me like I would want. Do you find the 660 engages you with the music. You know emotionally not technically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back