Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 27, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #6,031 of 9,628
@PeteMtl

My only complain with Hifiman is that they sound to lean and cold kind of uninvolving anyway can't comment any more as I don't own them.

Now leaving tonality aside there is a huge difference between the 660S and the rest of the 6 series.
These are a huge step above in technical ability , speed and above all dynamics.
This headphone is just behind the venerable HD800 and can compete easily with headphones three times more expensive.
Trust me , I have heard a lot and I could easily afford a headphone up to 2K......
Wow, very inspiring post.

May 27, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #6,032 of 9,628
After almost two years of my original review I still feel the same.
This is one of the best headphones in the market , a steal for its price.
Very naturally (not neutrally) tuned one of the very few up to 1K.
There are certainly better but you need to reach deep in your pockets.

May 27, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #6,033 of 9,628
After almost two years of my original review I still feel the same.
This is one of the best headphones in the market , a steal for its price.
Very naturally (not neutrally) tuned one of the very few up to 1K.
There are certainly better but you need to reach deep in your pockets.
True. I'm liking the LCD 4s, but sometimes they are too revealing.

May 27, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #6,035 of 9,628
The 58x and HD660S have nothing in common except maybe the most part of the frequency response.
All other things are night and day.
The 58x is a very good headphone for it's money with a really pleasing tonality and entry level technically ability to the 6 series.
Compared to the 660S is veiled and no match for technicalities.
The 660S imo is just a notch down of HD800 and lot better than other 1K stuff.
So no the 58x is not a cheap alternative to 660S.
Still is one of the best if not the best VFM on the market today.
Great post. I have owned the 800 and S, so I'm looking forward to these. Emotional connection as opposed to the technical.

May 27, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #6,039 of 9,628
I am pretty sure that on the long run are better than the 660s but at what price is that!

They are not. Horrible tuning, insanely heavy, they are OK to listen to for about 40 minutes. While the 6-series can be enjoyed for hours and the vocals are second to none.

May 27, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #6,040 of 9,628
They are not. Horrible tuning, insanely heavy, they are OK to listen to for about 40 minutes. While the 6-series can be enjoyed for hours and the vocals are second to none.
Well I have to completely disagree with you. The LCD 4s are hands down the most breathtakingly gorgeous headphones I have EVER heard. Period.

May 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #6,041 of 9,628
Always interesting to read other members' takes on great headphones!

Personally, I prefer the 660S to the 800...that said, I know others who don't feel the 660S is the same league...'just a solid mid-tier set of cans'

What's cool is that there are a variety of excellent options that we can pick from :)

May 27, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #6,044 of 9,628
Thanks! I’ve seen that graph and read his article which I think is very good. It also, I think, explains why I’m hearing more detail on the HD650 than the HD660S. Here’s what he says next to that graph:-

When comparing directly we can see the HD600 is the ‘brightest’ of the bunch followed by the HD650 which really only has a few dB more upper-bass/lower mids in other words ‘warmth’. The HD660S has the ‘warmth’ of the HD650 but less clarity/presence and slightly less treble.

Much of the low level detail (perhaps all) that I feel I’m missing in the HD660S exists in the 2-10 kHz range. I would say that the above graph explains what I’m (not) hearing.
Excellent . This is why I like the audeze house sound so much. The 4 to 8khz dip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back