Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #5,282 of 9,621
I've only owned the 660s for a short while. What I can say in comparison to to the 58X is that the 58X grain is gone. Less bass, but faster and more articulate on the 660s. 660s has slightly better imaging / separation - not world's apart to my ears. That somewhat annoying mid bass forwardness is gone on the 660s. The somewhat peaky / shouty high mids is also absent with the 660s. I don't feel like the 660s has the same sort of power and energy as the 58X. It's smoother, more accurate and refined. The 660s is a better rounded can. Unless you listen to primarily hard rock like I often do, the 660s is the better headphone. I miss my 58X, so I'm picking another one up. The two make a nice pair to have. Never been a big fan of the 650. Different strokes...

There's a reason vshaped sound is popular, it can be very engaging and fun when you're in the mood. That's why I pick up my cheap Senn iems that have more sub bass and more sparkly treble, great for rockin out and add excitwment to compressed music like it's artificially enhancing the dynamic range, obviously no where near as natural, detailed and refined as the 660S.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #5,283 of 9,621
There's a reason vshaped sound is popular, it can be very engaging and fun when you're in the mood. That's why I pick up my cheap Senn iems that have more sub bass and more sparkly treble, great for rockin out and add excitwment to compressed music like it's artificially enhancing the dynamic range, obviously no where near as natural, detailed and refined as the 660S.

True , sometimes I peak up my Beyerdynamic Soul bird for this V sound and big soundstage .

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #5,284 of 9,621
From my experience, if you feel the HD 660S are shouty or too bright, you are listening too loud! I did the same mistake when I bought them. I was used to the HD 598 signature, where I sometimes had to crank the volume a bit to get that feeling of more detail, as sometimes it felt the vocals are too distant. That doesn't happen on the HD 660S.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #5,285 of 9,621
79833089_10157850806832390_6553429329810817024_o.jpg 660S arrive and OMG , I didn't expect such a big difference in build (plastic quality) not even close to my older HDs the plastics are well refined with no gaps no cracking noises .
I heard them for 1 hour and in my ears not even close to 58X ( I really dont understand what the reviews saying) I guess my hearing is different . They are not bright at all like everyone said they are just more clear for me.
And again , what a change on the plastic materials . also the pads are different bigger. I just have to change the upside down to one of them because they have placed it wrong :) lol sued has been down forward one the left side .
20200109_124212.jpg 20200109_135723.jpg 20200109_135246.jpg 20200109_135225.jpg 20200109_135155.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #5,286 of 9,621
After some hours and listening different types of music , what I get is 660S soundstage is for sure bigger than 6XX with better separation on everything , vocals seems closer to me and everything else has some distance not far but enough to understand that the artist is in front of me and everything else surround him, also even from the first song I get that cleaner presentation way cleaner more resolution, but in some old rock songs I can now fully understand the bad quality and make me dont want to listen them .
HD6XX at same tracks sounded flatter more neutral with everything in the same position in front of you , also on the same old bad quality tracks they didn't expose anything just didn't want to take them out , Lastly now I get what people said about bass , on 6XX It sounded bigger like its everywhere in the mids, on the other hand 660S felt like there is on the correct timing not harder just didn't blend with anything else.

Yeah for sure I am sooooo happy buying them just amazed about plastic quality build ( thank god they change it) But I will not move my HD6XX from my desk , I will keep using 6XX on old recordings that feel smoother, and 660S oooooooh yeah clarity , separation wow just wow , now I get it .

I want to say thanks to all of you in this forum because reading these posts make me buy them (thankfully I didn't stay on youtube reviewers) , and now I can have this smile :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #5,287 of 9,621
I wouldn't call the 58X V shaped myself. I never used them with compressed files. Definitely not as natural and refined as the 660s. I think they make great sidekicks.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5,291 of 9,621
When I bought the 58X I was really confused. I thought the driver was at least the same size i.e 38. Now I realize that the 6XX drivers quoted as 38/40 and the 58X as 36/38 so the 58X is one category below in size while someone could think they are both 38 so the same size. For me it sounds one category below in comparison with the 6XX. If I knew that I would buy the 660s instead directly.

@Ichos now my friend I want to know how the 660s really compare with the clear (and as a proxy to Elex). Is still 660s considered an endgame according to you or I am buying these only to dream about the Elex ... :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #5,292 of 9,621
Well i will be honest with you.
The Clears are a great level up regarding bass and above all dynamics , realism and detail retrieval
without (for my ears) sacrificing musicality (but i listen only to classical).
Tonality is more or less the same and one of the best in the market so i consider both equal at this point.
HD660S still remains one of my favourites of all time and my recommendation for it's price.
If cash is a problem then it is no brainer , it touches the TOTL'S with a fraction of the price.
But if money are no object then the Clear's are a better headphone especially for classical music.
At this time being and from what i have auditioned till now my top three headphones are
1. Final D8000 (-pro)
2. Focal Clear
3. Sennheiser HD660S
and
4. Hifiman Ananda

Never heard the Elex but from info that i have gathered it is not at Clear level.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #5,293 of 9,621
When I bought the 58X I was really confused. I thought the driver was at least the same size i.e 38. Now I realize that the 6XX drivers quoted as 38/40 and the 58X as 36/38 so the 58X is one category below in size while someone could think they are both 38 so the same size. For me it sounds one category below in comparison with the 6XX. If I knew that I would buy the 660s instead directly./QUOTE]

For my tastes if i was to have two i would prefer an HD58x and an HD660S.
HD650 for me is obsolete if someone needs two headphones from the series.
If he can afford one then according to taste HD650 is great

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #5,294 of 9,621
For classical or acoustic music I prefer my 4XX to my 58X although for other genres I prefer the 58X between the two by wide margin.

Focal seems special but so expensive ...a 58X (200£) for the pads ... Haha no thanks. Maybe in future when the prices if and when they drop...:)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #5,295 of 9,621
Well i will be honest with you.
The Clears are a great level up regarding bass and above all dynamics , realism and detail retrieval
without (for my ears) sacrificing musicality (but i listen only to classical).
Tonality is more or less the same and one of the best in the market so i consider both equal at this point.
HD660S still remains one of my favourites of all time and my recommendation for it's price.
If cash is a problem then it is no brainer , it touches the TOTL'S with a fraction of the price.
But if money are no object then the Clear's are a better headphone especially for classical music.
At this time being and from what i have auditioned till now my top three headphones are
1. Final D8000 (-pro)
2. Focal Clear
3. Sennheiser HD660S
and
4. Hifiman Ananda

Never heard the Elex but from info that i have gathered it is not at Clear level.
Focal and Sennheiser are my fav... I had a Final audio sonorous 2 and it was way out of my taste bright with no resolution very heavy to , i couldnt sell it so i trade it.
But i dont even know that D8000 model must be something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back