Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #5,254 of 9,585
Is there any more sub-bass quantity at all in the HD660s vs the HD650 - or are they exactly the same in that frequency range?
From measurements, the 660s has less/is more rolled off. It is possible this makes it sound cleaner/clearer. 660s measures more similar to HD600 tuning

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #5,256 of 9,585
hi,

which one has the most potential out of the four, for pairing with a balanced tube amp/dac?
600, 650, 6xx or 660?
For it would be the 650/6XX, more so if the amp that you are thinking about has a fairly high (over 35ohms) output impedance. If the output impedance is fairly low (under 5ohms) then the 660s can be quite good.

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #5,257 of 9,585
hi,

which one has the most potential out of the four, for pairing with a balanced tube amp/dac?
600, 650, 6xx or 660?

Like @DavidA said, most likely if you are pairing with a tube amp then the HD650 has the most potential, but if by potential you mean 'scaleability' (the ability of a headphone to improve with better source/amps) then the answer will be always be the HD650.

However, potential and end result are not the same thing. At any given level the HD650 might have more potential but not actually be as good as the HD660S, so the only way to know for sure which is the better choice is to compare them directly on the equipment you intend to use.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #5,258 of 9,585
hi,

600, 650, 6xx or 660?
650/6xx, if the tube amp is an OTL - the cheapest I can think of would be the Schiit Valhalla 2 (which is amp only). I would go with a separate dac anyway, but it also depends on your budget. I believe the 660 may work better with a solid state. The 660 shines with my Sony ZX300, but didn't sound that exciting with the Woo WA2 (OTL). With the WA2, the 650 was the best.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #5,264 of 9,585
Hi to all 660S 2019 will arrive tomorrow .
I am not writing to forums, mostly i read and i have to say from what i read they must be very good for my taste.
I have Beyer 990 and soul byrds , Focal listen and sphear, bose soundsport and ae2 wireless, BW p5 and P7, Sennheiser 58X , 6XX ,599,559 , momentum in ear wireless the band version and Momentum on ear.
And 6XX and Bose ae2 wireless what i use 90% of the time, and HD599 for open world games on pc and 6XX for racing games.
I wonder does these 660S sound smooth like 6xx and ae2 ? I read that they have some sparkle but what this sparkle means ? Painful like focal spear , 990 pro , momentum, or grainy like 58X ? Or its just more detail ? The truth is that i dint like a lot 58X because in some edm tracks felt strange.
I was thinking of buying Focal Elex vs the 660s but i am in EU and i dont want to risk the warranty with Massdrop ( they send me the HD6XX with broken clips of the driver ,doesnt effect sound but... )
So i got the 660S . :)

Another question is that with 58X and Forza audio works copper mk2 i didnt get any difference at all, on HD6XX in my ears i can hear better separation on everything and more how can i say it ? Width and weight ?
Does 660S get this also with that cable ? Or will react like 58X ?
Thanks a lot and sory for the long post.
I use IFI micro idsd BL if that helps.

I am writing all these because if i dont.open them i can choose something else.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #5,265 of 9,585
I read that they have some sparkle but what this sparkle means ?

Yes, I've been wondering about what that means for several years!

I long resisted getting the HD660S, being an ardent fan of the HD650. One of the main things that put me off was the frequently made assertion that the HD660S was a brighter headphone with more 'sparkle'. First, I wasn't convinced that that meant more detail, and I also couldn't imagine that I would ever want more treble presence and 'sparkle' than my (silver sreeen) 650's had. That fact, combined with a couple of bad reviews which also stated that the HD660S was brighter (and not in a good way) was enough to prevent me from buying the HD660S, despite being a bit of a Sennheiser enthusiast. I now have two HD650's and two HD660S's (yeah, I know....) and IMNSVHO (Ha!) both of the HD650's have more treble presence (what I would call 'sparkle') than the HD660S's. In fact, every FR graph I have seen, bar one, shows the HD660S to have less treble presence above about 2kHz than the HD650. However, what the HD660S definitely does have is more 'clarity'. It does not have more treble 'sparkle' (or treble detail) but it does have a clarity and dynamic speed throughout the entire frequency range which make the HD650 sound rather distant and un-involving by comparison. I hope that helps rather than confuses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back