Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Jan 11, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #5,311 of 9,626
Is it justified to have them both then? Especially, if you listen also a lot of house music? I would be grateful for your opinion.
House music I'm not too sure. I prefer the 660s with classic, softer rock, such as the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. I like the 58X better with harder rock music.

Jan 11, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #5,312 of 9,626
Nothing to do with the quality. I am proud owner of 3 Meze headphones designed in Romania.

But I associated the 6XX series with Ireland and these last ones can be considered as a collector's edition, is not that they will produced in Ireland ever again.

Just get a old clapped out pair of 6 series headphones and swop the piece of plastic that holds the headband in place that has ‘Made in Ireland’ printed on it with those on an old style HD660S that was made in Romania. Then you have what you want! :wink:

Jan 11, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #5,314 of 9,626
Just get a old clapped out pair of 6 series headphones and swop the piece of plastic that holds the headband in place that has ‘Made in Ireland’ printed on it with those on an old style HD660S that was made in Romania. Then you have what you want! :wink:
Haha is not so big deal to be honest...I think the drivers are still made in Ireland after all...

What I was trying to say is that it was iconic that the 6 series was made in Ireland and I would not mind to pay the small premium (350£ Vs 320) to have one of the last pairs made there.

Also, I would not mind to pay a bit more and have the old presentation box that the 58x is missing I hope the 660s still have it.

Build quality in my opinion is miles better on new facelift 600 650 and 660 series. I also have the old ones.

Yes the 58x makes some noise, the 6xx is better. If the new 660s is much better this is a very welcome development.

For me given the better box, quality plastics and bigger driver the 6xx is the best value for money and not the 58X but this until I hear the 660s.

I also did not like the old looks of 600 this is why never considered to buy one. Is also good development for me that changed the colour , I would choose one from Romania with the new colour than one from Ireland with the old looks just as personal preference.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #5,316 of 9,626
I think the actual build quality is exactly the same, but I agree that the new plastic moulds are much cleaner. I personally still prefer the old styling, but that’s purely personal of course.

My 58x when first open them it felt strange they didnt have the old quality of sennheiser they was cracking and the paint was not good . I thought that was a part problem.
My next Massdrop 6XX was also cracking but on the left side only . the plastics didnt have clean lines and the inside foam felt cheap like the ones that airplanes gives.
What i have seen and what the NEW 660S have on my part number for sure was that moving the drivers is smoother without any noise my pads also was fatter with better quality shuet i can feel it on my hand .(I am selling fabrics) the massdrop pads are harsher. Also openning the gril also there is differences the cuts inside are way smoother on 660s and also around the driver when i open the grill on 660s are not cutting sharp on 58x and 6xx are sharp.
This is what i see i dont know maybe i was lucky.
If u asked me Sennheiser after all these reviews all these years saying that these are amazing headphones with bad quality plastics , they choose to give all the old ones stock to Massdrop and make new ones with Bose quality plastics to their line.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #5,317 of 9,626
My 58x when first open them it felt strange they didnt have the old quality of sennheiser they was cracking and the paint was not good . I thought that was a part problem.
My next Massdrop 6XX was also cracking but on the left side only . the plastics didnt have clean lines and the inside foam felt cheap like the ones that airplanes gives.
What i have seen and what the NEW 660S have on my part number for sure was that moving the drivers is smoother without any noise my pads also was fatter with better quality shuet i can feel it on my hand .(I am selling fabrics) the massdrop pads are harsher. Also openning the gril also there is differences the cuts inside are way smoother on 660s and also around the driver when i open the grill on 660s are not cutting sharp on 58x and 6xx are sharp.
This is what i see i dont know maybe i was lucky.
If u asked me Sennheiser after all these reviews all these years saying that these are amazing headphones with bad quality plastics , they choose to give all the old ones stock to Massdrop and make new ones with Bose quality plastics to their line.

I have no experience of the massdrop versions. They basically don’t exist in Europe. It may well be that costs have been reduced by using cheaper materials. That’s the price you pay for wanting something for less money. However, I’m sure the actual moulds are the same. The old style moulds we’re pretty rough compared to the new ones.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #5,319 of 9,626
I used to own the 58x and frankly I didn't find them lacking in quality regarding the price.

I’m not suggesting that they lack quality in relation to the price, only that they may have a quality commensurate with the price.
And, just to be clear, it’s tripokaridos who is suggesting that the massdrop versions are of a lower quality, not me.

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #5,321 of 9,626
Yes this was a general comment not referring directly to you!
Anyway the new edition is of better quality than the older ones.

To which I say, Bravo Sennheiser! The world these days usually works the other way around, lower quality at the first opportunity.

And Bravo again for keeping production in the EU. Romania has a strong IT and tech scene and even a developing native headphone industry (Meze). Good work all around.

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #5,322 of 9,626
I personally doubt there's any difference in the actual plastic used on any of the 600 series headphones (including the 58x) based on my experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do less QA/QC on the cheaper pairs and there's definitely a difference in the paint/finish that might contribute to some models feeling cheaper

I really don't think the foam is different for the earpads amongst current models, though they did do a revision on the earpads for all models at some point

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #5,323 of 9,626
I haven’t really noticed any difference in build quality on my HD6XX’s or HD58X as compared to my HD600.

Only one thing; one of my HD6XX’s had a bad pair of pads on delivery affecting the sound (as if the pads were old and compressed but looked new). Ordered a new pair of pads from Sennheiser direct, changed them, and problem was gone. I elected to try to get new pads before talking with Massdrop because of the hassle and cost of shipping to the US, which would cost me as much as buying the new pads. Fortunately the pads were the problem and they are fine since.

Jan 12, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #5,324 of 9,626
Both my 58X and 6XX when i take off the pads and press the foam i can feel it that the shape it isn't cut carefully like the original Sennheiser pads.
In my opinion and looking them so many times side by side disassembled again in my opinion Sennheiser sends the bad quality and stock parts to Massdrop and keep the better quality for their line.
For example there is a movement to the drivers on the headband slightly in and out on all Massdrop that i have seen the left or right driver is harder to move than the other. On Sennheiser products this movement has the same harshness on both drivers.
I know some people dont look these , but for me its not only about sound its also looking something perfectly crafted like BW p7s for example.

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #5,325 of 9,626
I'm always on the look out for good critical reviews and measurements on the net, especially to find ones that seem to agree with my tastes. Such a resource would be a valuable aid to assessing what might be interesting to have a listen to. I recently checked out rtings.com again. I thought that their methodical approach and comprehensive measurements looked promising, until I checked out their assessment of the HD660S HD650 and HD58X.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-660-s

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-650

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-58x-jubilee

I confess that I haven't heard the HD58X myself, but the overwhelmingly general consensus seems to be that it is definitely NOT better than the HD660S. Oh well, I'll keep looking.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back